1 Diamond Member
1 Diamond Member
First Name: Jack
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N557AF
Airports: KTUS

Fuel Pump failure

Post by JRoosa »

First time this has happened in 4 years of flying the DA40. I ran through the start checklist (cold start) and when I threw the fuel pump switch on — I got nothing. It appeared totally inop. Cycled Master Switch, check circuit breakers and tried again. Nothing. Came back a few hours later and for kicks and giggles, I switched the master switch on and turned the fuel pump on — and it worked as advertised... Took the airplane up for a spin, fuel pump switched on every time I through the switch.

Just curious if this phenomenon has occurred with anyone else?
Gearle
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: George
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: Private
Airports: KDWH

Re: Fuel Pump failure

Post by Gearle »

hmmm....[warning] nothing but guesses below.
you live in Arizona. you posted in February. it was 'cold'? you came back later and the sun came out and warmed it up? search on the forum, much has been written about the OEM fuel pump. it is not a continuous duty pump. it is rated as a partial use pump. the other forum articles talk about the newer continuous use-rated pump. i now have that pump, hint hint.
my fuel pump issue started like this. first it overheated/stressed in flight and popped the circuit breaker. then it wouldn't turn on in the 'morning'. sounds like you're headed for a new pump in a couple of months...