2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Hisham
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N908DS
Airports: KXLL

How do I know what unlock cards I should have

Post by elmanzah »

Mine is a 2008 xls that I bought used. I spoke to the garmin avionics shop because I want to upgrade my software from 321.22 to the latest version. He said he won’t do it until I am sure I have all the “unlock” sd cards.

I checked and I only have two unlock cards. One for svs (says on it for PFD) and another for TAWS. That’s it. I ofcourse have the two bottom slot cards but those are not “unlock” cards.

Should I have more “unlock” cards? How can I find out?
pietromarx
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Peter
Aircraft Registration: NZZZ
Airports: KWHP

Re: How do I know what unlock cards I should have

Post by pietromarx »

According to Garmin, there are the following (and may be more): TAWS-B, TAWS-A, Synthetic Vision Technology (SVT™), Video Input, Electronic Stability and Protection (ESP™), and Jeppesen ChartView.

DA40s don't usually have video input or TAWS-A. I don't think older ones can have ESP. That leaves TAWS-B, SVS, and ChartView.
elmanzah
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Hisham
Aircraft Registration: N908DS
Airports: KXLL

Post by elmanzah »

pietromarx wrote:According to Garmin, there are the following (and may be more): TAWS-B, TAWS-A, Synthetic Vision Technology (SVT™), Video Input, Electronic Stability and Protection (ESP™), and Jeppesen ChartView.

DA40s don't usually have video input or TAWS-A. I don't think older ones can have ESP. That leaves TAWS-B, SVS, and ChartView.

Thank you! I know I don’t have Jeppesen charts but I can view garmin charts. Do the garmin charts require their own unlock card? I left a message for Diamond factory but I’m being impatient lol
pietromarx
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member

Post by pietromarx »

Garmin charts don't require an unlock card.
CFIDave
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dave
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N333GX
Airports: KJYO Leesburg VA

Post by CFIDave »

A 2008 DA40 XLS should come with 1-3 software unlock SD cards:

1. TAWS-B (Terrain Awareness Warning System). Note that this feature was no longer standard after 2008, because there's a "TAWS Lite" feature already included with the Synthetic Vision option selected by most customers. TAWS is what causes you to hear "Terrain System OK" after startup, and "Five hundred" when descending to land (usually somewhere on base leg).

2. Synthetic Vision/SVT. This feature is OPTIONAL, but more than 90% of XLS owners chose to add this $10K option after it became available in early 2008.

3. Jeppesen ChartView. This is also OPTIONAL, but only a small percentage of XLS owners chose to add this $4K option -- typically ex-airline pilot owners used to flying with Jepp charts, or pilots primarily flying outside the US. Most US owners are satisfied with Garmin's FliteCharts (which look like FAA paper charts) that are enabled as a standard G1000 feature. Legacy G1000s (not G1000 NXi) can have only one type of charts, either FliteCharts or ChartView, enabled at a time. FliteCharts --> ChartView requires applying the software unlock card, whereas ChartView --> FliteCharts requires a complete G1000 software re-install.

If your tech re-installs G1000 software without these cards, you will lose functionality.
Epic Aircraft E1000 GX
Former DA40XLS, DA42-VI, and DA62 owner
ATP, CFI, CFI-I, MEI
theRDWRER
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Matt
Aircraft Registration: N981WL
Airports:

Post by theRDWRER »

Small point : “terrain system okay” is not a product of TAWS, unlike “500.”
CFIDave
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by CFIDave »

theRDWRER wrote:Small point : “terrain system okay” is not a product of TAWS, unlike “500.”
Then what produces it? In my experience, aircraft without TAWS installed don't get this annunciation, whereas those with TAWS do. It's simply a way for the G1000 to let the pilot know that the TAWS-B system is operational.
Epic Aircraft E1000 GX
ATP, CFI, CFI-I, MEI
theRDWRER
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Matt
Aircraft Registration: N981WL
Airports:

Post by theRDWRER »

I’m guessing SVS. I have that sound burned into my memory from my da40 that did not have TAWS.
pietromarx
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member

Post by pietromarx »

Both SVT and TAWS-B issue the "Terrain System OK" annunciation. I've had TAWS-B by itself, SVT by itself, and both. All do the same startup annunciations.

While Garmin says there is a different terrain avoidance algorithm between the SVT and TAWS-B, I've been completely unable to tell the difference and, as a software engineer, don't really understand why they would implement a different one for SVT. My guess is that SVT's terrain avoidance system is simply TAWS-B without certain annunciations and without the legal implications.
CFIDave
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by CFIDave »

My 2008 DA40 XLS with TAWS-B had the "Terrain System OK" startup message, but my DA42-VI and now DA62 both with optional SVT (and no TAWS-B) do NOT provide the "Terrain System OK" message. So my experience is that SVT without TAWS doesn't generate the startup message.

The G1000 Pilot's Guide explains the differences between TAWS-B vs. the lightweight version of terrain warning included with SVT. TAWS-B has been tested to meet rigorous FAA certification requirements for turbine aircraft carrying 8 or more people (crew of 2 + 6 passengers), whereas SVT's less functional terrain warning does not meet the FAA standard.
Epic Aircraft E1000 GX
ATP, CFI, CFI-I, MEI