3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: DAVID
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N542GL
Airports: KTAD

Wheel Bearing Grease Question

Post by dwurfel »

Going to change both mains this weekend and they needed it. Definitely uneven wear on the inside of both.
These tires had about 375 hours on them.

My question is I will be repacking and lubing bearing and am planning to use high temp automotive wheel bearing grease.
In reviewing some other comments online this seems to be a satisfactory option. Wondering what the thoughts are here are here and experiences with your Diamonds. Safe Flying!
krellis
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Keith
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N853DF
Airports: GA04

Re: Wheel Bearing Grease Question

Post by krellis »

If you are asking if automotive wheel bearing grease will perform properly in this application - then the answer is probably yes, depending on the grease used.

If you are asking if it's permissible to use automotive grease in this application - then I believe the answer is no.

From the DA40 AMM -

CAUTION: DO NOT MIX AVIATION WHEEL BEARING GREASES WITH EACH
% OTHER. IF USING OTHER APPROVED GREASES, COMPLETE
% REMOVAL OF CONTAINED GREASE AND BEARING CLEANING IS
% REQUIRED. REPLACEMENT OF PREVIOUSLY LUBRICATED FELT
% GREASE SEALS IS ALSO REQUIRED.
% (5) The wheel manufacturer lubricates the main wheel bearings with Mobil Aviation Grease SHC 100.

If you are operating under an experimental certificate, then you can do pretty much as you please.

Wheel bearing grease is specified as "Type 1" in the Lubricant Specifications table of the AMM - which limits you to a couple of choices. Mobil SHC 100 or Aeroshell 22 are synthetic greases and widely available in the States. Aeroshell 5 is considered an obsolete choice.
Last edited by krellis on Thu May 17, 2018 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Steve
Aircraft Registration: N432SC
Airports: 1T7

Post by Steve »

David:

That is precisely what I do. After 17 years, the bearings and races appear brand new.

Steve
dwurfel
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: DAVID
Aircraft Registration: N542GL
Airports: KTAD

Post by dwurfel »

Just made my order to Aircraft Spruce and also ordered one of those packing tools. Finally tired of getting more grease on me than the bearing. Thank you,thank you for the advise. Gotta tell you I talk glowingly about all the help I have gotten from fellow Diamond owners like yourselves.
smoss
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Steve
Airports: KVGT

Post by smoss »

Keith- why do you say AeroShell 5 is an obsolete choice? Still readily available and does not separate in warm temps. It is what I have always used. The "obsolete" in the AMM only refers to the MIL-G-3545 spec.
Steve
DA40 XL
krellis
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Keith
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N853DF
Airports: GA04

Post by krellis »

smoss wrote:Keith- why do you say AeroShell 5 is an obsolete choice? Still readily available and does not separate in warm temps. It is what I have always used. The "obsolete" in the AMM only refers to the MIL-G-3545 spec.
You are correct. The Mil-spec is obsolete, not the grease. However, it is no longer used by the manufacturer (Cleveland) as they have switched to the synthetic Mobil grease.

I still use Aeroshell 5 on my DA20-A1 wheel bearings, as Diamond has not updated the AMM to include the newer lubrication spec. The C1 has the newer specs, I believe.