1 Diamond Member
1 Diamond Member
First Name: Shaun
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: CGXLX
Airports: CNC3

Avidyne TAS 600 box location

Post by diamondshaun »

Hello - I'm new to the forum. I'm wondering where in the DA40 an Avidyne TAS 600 main unit would be physically located. I am able to easily identify the antennae for the TAS system, where the box is, I'm not sure. In the rear/tail of the plane I've found the G1000 modules (AHRS, Comms, GIA, etc) - but no Avidyne TAS box. No antennas leads for TAS going to the G1000 modules. I'm pretty sure serial or ARNIC connections are made to the Garmin units (GIA or GTX units) from the TAS box.

Reason I ask is I suspect a connection going to/from an antenna has come loose, if relatively easy to access, I'd like to take a look for myself. I suspect BNC connectors are used. I'll have an avionics expert take a look if it's not a connector issue :cry: .

My traffic awareness was working great last year, then at times the system couldn't report the vector of where the threat traffic is. Now the TAS only alerts when a plane is a mere 2 miles or a few hundred feet away - with no bearing information. It is able to tell me what altitude the other craft is at. Used to work so well. Either a loose connector or the TAS is cooked as zero software updates have been done to the plane.

Thank you!
OriensFlight
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Hans
Aircraft Registration: N556LU
Airports: KHES

Re: Avidyne TAS 600 box location

Post by OriensFlight »

In N556LU it's installed in the tail compartment that's behind where the GIA 63Ws are. Although @CFIDave told me that in later years they figured out a way to install them under the passenger seat closest to the rear door for W&B reasons. Did ATC also have problems identifing your correct altitude by chance?
Hans
N556LU / 40.763 - 2007 DA40 XL G1000 w/WAAS, SVT, TAS & ADS-B @ RAM Aviation in Healdsburg, California
Antoine
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Antoine
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N121AG
Airports: LSGG

Post by Antoine »

Shaun: Pre 2008 planes had the TAS box in the tail cone further aft of the G1000. Some owners had it moved to below the rear passenger bench. I believe 2008 (XLS) and younger are all under the rear passenger bench.
CFIDave
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dave
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N333GX
Airports: KJYO Leesburg VA

Post by CFIDave »

It's relatively easy to tell where your TAS unit is located.

If in the tail (aft of the baggage compartment), you'll see multiple mounting screws sticking out of the bottom of the fuselage. Otherwise it's under the rear seat near the door (for better W&B). In neither case is it in the G1000 equipment rack with other LRUs.
Epic Aircraft E1000 GX
Former DA40XLS, DA42-VI, and DA62 owner
ATP, CFI, CFI-I, MEI
diamondshaun
1 Diamond Member
1 Diamond Member
First Name: Shaun
Aircraft Registration: CGXLX
Airports: CNC3

Post by diamondshaun »

Thanks OriensFlight, CFIDave, and Antoine. I will take a look this weekend!
Lance Murray
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Lance
Airports:

Post by Lance Murray »

Mine is below the rear seat. You may see a hatch under the seat cushion. Pull the hatch and take a look.