3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Pekka
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: ESTWN
Airports: LSZL

DA40NG bubble canopy vs normal one

Post by Pehu »

I am contemplating between "standard" canopy vs bubble canopy for DA40NG. I am 6'3" myself so rather tall.

A bit of google did not reveal me the differences between these two canopies. Bubble canopy gets you the sunvizors - which btw are incredible sucky. My current plane does have these and you need tighten them all the time, they don't hold their position.

The current price for the upgrade was almost 10k EUR which does sound quite expensive so I'd like to contemplate this a bit before committing.
ultraturtle
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rob
Aircraft Registration: N62KZ
Airports: KAAF

Re: DA40NG bubble canopy vs normal one

Post by ultraturtle »

I am also 6' 3", and in my opinion you will not fit comfortably with a standard canopy. Tight fit even with the bubble canopy, I need to recline the seat a bit. Recommend you find a DA40 to sit in for a few minutes.
Pehu
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Pekka
Aircraft Registration: ESTWN
Airports: LSZL

Post by Pehu »

I think this answered the question perfectly :-)

Thanks
CFIDave
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dave
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N333GX
Airports: KJYO Leesburg VA

Post by CFIDave »

For tall pilots who also have long torsos, you not only need to take the canopy height into consideration, but also the fuselage cross-bar located right behind the canopy.

Even with the taller double-bubble canopy combined with the reclining front seats of a DA40 NG, some taller pilots will hit their heads on the cross-bar.
Epic Aircraft E1000 GX
Former DA40XLS, DA42-VI, and DA62 owner
ATP, CFI, CFI-I, MEI
BlueYonder
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Sara
Aircraft Registration: N687DA
Airports: KPAE

Post by BlueYonder »

My husband is a shade over 6', but it's all in his torso. He also has very wide shoulders. He finds the standard canopy in our plane intolerable.

We recently visited Colin's DA42, and he tried out the right seat. The bubble was considerably more comfortable for him -- just a little more room for both head and shoulders really helped. The 42 also has reclining seats, which our DA40XL does not, and which also made a real difference.

We are currently exploring switching out to the bubble canopy and adding reclining seats -- or else upgrading to a 42 that already has those features installed. It's been made very clear that I'm not going to have an enthusiastic passenger until these mods are done.
The highest art form of all is a human being in control of himself and his airplane in flight, urging the spirit of a machine to match his own. -- Richard Bach
Mdm0515
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Matt
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: None
Airports:

Post by Mdm0515 »

I'm 6' 2" but all legs and broad shouldered. My torso/head/shoulders all fit fine in the DA40 XLT but the brake/rudder pedals are difficult. For visibility reasons i sometimes use a butt cushion for overall sight line lift.

I sat in the NG last weekend and the seating is much improved in terms of sight lines over the instrument panel and general comfort. I did lose a little clearance on my knees though.

I'm probably going to buy an NG in the next several months and cabin comfort was one of the primary determinants between the gas and diesel versions