smoss
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Steve
Aircraft Type: DA40
Airports: KVGT

Jeppen vs. Garmin nav data

Post by smoss »

For people flying with the Garmin nav data for a while, has there been any continued differences between the Garmin data and your previous Jeppesen data? Garmin 1 yr nav data for the whole US is now $299 vs. Jep $605 for the "Americas" or $395 for one US region, like West Central. I currently get the 395 West Central Jep subscription, but seems like the $299 Garmin US is the way to go at renewal. Any comments? Some minor differences had been discussed in another topic viewtopic.php?f=8&t=5862&hilit=one+pak
Steve
DA40 XL
Rich
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rich
Aircraft Registration: N40XE
Airports: S39 Prineville OR

Re: Jeppen vs. Garmin nav data

Post by Rich »

For my ancient GNS units, Garmin does not have an offering that reasonably competes with my Jepp subscription. On the plus side for Jepp, one can now update the Jepp data to these cards (and others) with an iPhone plus a Bad Elf Wombat.
2002 DA40-180: MT, PowerFlow, 530W/430W, KAP140, ext. baggage, 1090 ES out, 2646 MTOW, 40gal., Surefly, Flightstream 210, Orion 600 LED, XeVision, Aspen E5
DaveS1900
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dave
Aircraft Registration: N521DD
Airports: I74 Urbana Ohio

Post by DaveS1900 »

I get the Garmin Navdata and Flitecharts for a 750 but also have a 430 non-WAAS which I need to get the Jepp data. For my IFR flying in US the Garmin data is great. I also run Garmin Pilot app on my iphone and ipad which syncs with my Garmin 345.
Dave S.
pietromarx
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Peter
Aircraft Registration: NZZZ
Airports: KWHP

Post by pietromarx »

I went to Garmin data and never missed the Jeppesen data.
smoss
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by smoss »

Thanks all. Sounds like the Garmin data includes all the needed IFR functionality for less money. Surprising that Jeppesen has not met there price. The weird thing is that you can purchase the Jeppesen nav data subscription on the fly.garmin website, listed right after the Garmin equivalent for significantly more money.
Steve
DA40 XL
TimS
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Timothy
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N1446C
Airports: 6B6 Stowe MA

Post by TimS »

smoss wrote:Thanks all. Sounds like the Garmin data includes all the needed IFR functionality for less money. Surprising that Jeppesen has not met there price. The weird thing is that you can purchase the Jeppesen nav data subscription on the fly.garmin website, listed right after the Garmin equivalent for significantly more money.
Jepp does a fair amount of data massaging making plates easier and faster to read. Where Garmin is effectively just reformatting the government data.
If you fly a lot of IFR, and get switched to a new plate when you are almost on approach, Jepp is much better.
If that happens just a couple of times, Jepp will pay for itself when you consider aircraft running costs.

However, if I could, I would use Garmin in the GNS units...

Tim
smoss
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by smoss »

Tim, I don't use the Jepp plates on my G1000, just use the plates on my iPad from ForeFlight. I do, however, use all the approach data that loads into the flight plan with altitudes, etc., and all the airways, nav waypoints etc., that are needed to fly a clearance. I assume all that info would be included and the same with Garmin data?
Steve
DA40 XL
Lou
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Louis
Aircraft Registration: CGXLO
Airports: CZVL

Post by Lou »

I use Garmin Navdata in Canada and the US. Near as I can tell it's all there. I asked a commercial guy the same question last week (Jepp or Garmin) and he said it's Ford v. Chevy.
CFIDave
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dave
Aircraft Registration: N333GX
Airports: KJYO Leesburg VA

Post by CFIDave »

For Navdata there’s no difference that I can tell between Jepp and Garmin, other than geographic coverage. If flying just in North America you can save money with Garmin.
Epic Aircraft E1000 GX
Former DA40XLS, DA42-VI, and DA62 owner
ATP, CFI, CFI-I, MEI
TimS
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Timothy
Aircraft Registration: N1446C
Airports: 6B6 Stowe MA

Post by TimS »

smoss wrote:Tim, I don't use the Jepp plates on my G1000, just use the plates on my iPad from ForeFlight. I do, however, use all the approach data that loads into the flight plan with altitudes, etc., and all the airways, nav waypoints etc., that are needed to fly a clearance. I assume all that info would be included and the same with Garmin data?
As the others have stated/implied Garmin and Jepp both get their data from the same locations. The only difference in data I recall was a few years ago when the FAA changed how they set the VDP (without announcing it) and caused Garmin and Jepp to drop hundreds of approaches from the databases. Jepp with the more sophisticated data massage and presentation; had a work around in a single cycle. Garmin took about a year.

Outside of that specific issue, the data is always the same. It just is the presentation that differs.
Here are the reasons I can see why you should pick Jepp:
1. You have used Jepp and prefer it
2. You want the chart on the panel to match the chart on the iPad
3. You fly outside North America
4. You fly mission critical flights into hard IFR on a routine basis and need the ability to switch/read plates fast (premise is that Jepp is easier to read)
5. Just because.

Tim