4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Keith
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N853DF
Airports: GA04

Re: DA40 NG Anomaly

Post by krellis »

Karl wrote:The terminology used on the G1000 is somewhat misleading. An ECU failure is not what it says it is.
Basically an ECU fail warning is a caution that the ECU sensors have detected an anomaly, in this case low manifold pressure. Both the Austro and TAE powered DA40 will generally be able to maintain altitude with a loss of MAP. Certainly the TAE powered version will maintain altitude with 2 POB and full fuel including long range tanks.

This incident seems to be a simple case of someone not fitting the induction hose clamp tight enough.

Of course if the induction hose came off of an IO series Lycoming you would have a similar loss of power.
But the Lycoming has neither a turbocharger nor ECU's. And the "induction hoses" on the Lycoming are under vacuum not turbo boost pressure.
Steve
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Steve
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N432SC
Airports: 1T7

Post by Steve »

There are no induction hoses in our Lycoming-powered aircraft. The air filter is mounted directly to the alternate air valve, which is mounted directly to the RSA injector. If either the air filter or alternate air valve "came loose, no difference in developed power. (Of course, on the ground, you might be getting more dirt through the engine).

Steve
CFIDave
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dave
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N333GX
Airports: KJYO Leesburg VA

Post by CFIDave »

helidoc67 wrote:Is that new afm (amm) available online?
Unlike other aircraft manufacturers that charge a lot of money for their manuals, Diamond makes all of their manuals available online for free as PDF files.

Here's the DA40NG Aircraft Maintenance Manual:
http://support.diamond-air.at/da40_ng_a ... 73ab0.html
Epic Aircraft E1000 GX
Former DA40XLS, DA42-VI, and DA62 owner
ATP, CFI, CFI-I, MEI
Karl
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Karl
Airports:

Post by Karl »

Steve wrote:There are no induction hoses in our Lycoming-powered aircraft. The air filter is mounted directly to the alternate air valve, which is mounted directly to the RSA injector. If either the air filter or alternate air valve "came loose, no difference in developed power. (Of course, on the ground, you might be getting more dirt through the engine).

Steve
Agreed.
The subject was manifold pressure so I was referring to turbo engines. Maybe I could have explained better.
nrenno
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Nilton
Aircraft Registration: N63WP
Airports: KARB

Post by nrenno »

The subject was DA40 vs DA40 NG, in particular the reliability of the Lycoming IO-360 vs AE300.
Boatguy
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Russ
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: N962M
Airports: KSTS

Post by Boatguy »

ZAV wrote:If there’s a problem in the Lycoming version, you may still be able to generate power to get to a safe spot to land. You might kill your engine but I would choose that over no power and an uncontrolled landing.
So you mean like exactly what happened with the OP? Partial power and return to the airport?
ZAV
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Bryan
Aircraft Registration: N387DS
Airports: KLEX

Post by ZAV »

Boatguy wrote:
ZAV wrote:If there’s a problem in the Lycoming version, you may still be able to generate power to get to a safe spot to land. You might kill your engine but I would choose that over no power and an uncontrolled landing.
So you mean like exactly what happened with the OP? Partial power and return to the airport?

Yes. I guess 35% will get you back to the airport if you’re within 9 miles. Similar occurrence in 2016 didn’t make it back to the airport.
Boatguy
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Russ
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: N962M
Airports: KSTS

Post by Boatguy »

ZAV wrote:
Boatguy wrote:
Yes. I guess 35% will get you back to the airport if you’re within 9 miles. Similar occurrence in 2016 didn’t make it back to the airport.
Is that the Kingman non-fatal you're referring to? I'm not sure I see the similarities. The Kingman lost oil and and subsequently all power. But perhaps you're referring to a different incident.
Rich
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rich
Aircraft Registration: N40XE
Airports: S39 Prineville OR

Post by Rich »

Boatguy wrote:
ZAV wrote:
Boatguy wrote: So you mean like exactly what happened with the OP? Partial power and return to the airport?
Is that the Kingman non-fatal you're referring to? I'm not sure I see the similarities. The Kingman lost oil and and subsequently all power. But perhaps you're referring to a different incident.
There were 2 in Goodyear AZ area in 2016 that were loss of power. One wound up in the accident database and sounds just like the OP incident, though cause of the power loss is not yet published. The other one isn't in the accident database because it resulted in a totally successful off-airport landing.
2002 DA40-180: MT, PowerFlow, 530W/430W, KAP140, ext. baggage, 1090 ES out, 2646 MTOW, 40gal., Surefly, Flightstream 210, Orion 600 LED, XeVision, Aspen E5
ts1175
1 Diamond Member
1 Diamond Member
First Name: Thomas
Aircraft Type: DA40D
Aircraft Registration: D-EWEH
Airports: EDMQ

Post by ts1175 »

I am owner of a DA40 with technify engine. This has been a problem with this type of engine for some time, the turbo charger hose has solved or the pressure box has a problem and the valve is not always closed. Very uncomfortable but not really critical, if you do not react wrongly, because the remaining power should suffice for a safe landing at the next airfield. A Lyc engine would never be an alternative for me again. The problem with the hose of the turbocharger was solved to my knowledge by a modification of the clamps.