Keith M
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Keith
Aircraft Type: DA40D
Airports: EGNH

Re: Path to ADS-B & WAAS for older DA40s

Post by Keith M »

reinhardj wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:28 pmUnfortunately announcement of features by Garmin does not mean, that these features are really available. This strongly depends on the compilation requested by the TC holder.
Reinhard, the latest GDU release from Diamond for the DA40D is 5.02, so isn't the TC holder for your aircraft Urbe Aero, as part of their SBAS upgrade?
reinhardj
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Reinhard
Aircraft Registration: DEWDI
Airports: EDWQ

Post by reinhardj »

Keith,
our version was once compiled for Diamond for use in the chinese DA40 (see Diamond MSBD4-045/9, 010-00628-00) and Diamond is the TC holder of the original software. It was not approved for european DA40, URBE received a STC for use in european DA40 in combination with WAAS. Another STC from URBE allowes the use of ChartView and SafeTaxi, which was also excluded originally. So our DA40TDI now has WAAS, SyntheticVison, ChartView and SafeTaxi.
Nevertheless, as mentioned before a number of Garmin features, which normally should be available in a GDU12.03 is missing....
Reinhard
DA40D, S/N D4.338
G1000, GDU 12.03, WAAS, GTX 345, SVT, Safetaxi, PilotPak
TwinStarScott
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Scott
Aircraft Type: DA42
Aircraft Registration: N189Y
Airports: WN53

Post by TwinStarScott »

feel like I've got the sweet spot. ADS-B out handled 4 years ago. This aspect is almost without any features in the way of feedback to the pilot.
Rich, please scratch my question about "Is your airplane ADS-B OUT equipped?" I re-read your post and now understand you were an early adopter of a certified ADS-B OUT unit (only?) and long before the GTX-345R was even an option for legacy G1000 aircraft. Other questions still apply. :)
Rich
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rich
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N40XE
Airports: S39 Prineville OR

Post by Rich »

ScottSutton wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:01 am
feel like I've got the sweet spot. ADS-B out handled 4 years ago. This aspect is almost without any features in the way of feedback to the pilot.
Rich, please scratch my question about "Is your airplane ADS-B OUT equipped?" I re-read your post and now understand you were an early adopter of a certified ADS-B OUT unit (only?) and long before the GTX-345R was even an option for legacy G1000 aircraft. Other questions still apply. :)
I've posted earlier some of the answers (some on this thread), but here goes:

ADS-B OUT only - Bendix KT74. As it happens, second recert since '15 installation happening today. If I were doing it today, it'd be a GTX 335.
As my GNS units were already both WAAS (since '07), it was a relatively easy installation. It came to roughly $5000 (depending on how one accounts for the charges), as a custom mount was required for the transponder (all these transponders are longer than the original GXT327 and can be problematic fitting them), an airspeed-based squat switch emulator was required, and part of the cost was doing an IFR/transponder recert as part of this
iPad mounting is standard RAM yoke-mount, using their relatively new "claw" option.
I have full range of control motion with the device in place as shown, as well as full visibility of all flight instruments.
I do not remove for ingress/egress. I freely admit that not everyone can use this mounting approach.
The Stratus does have limited GPS reception under the panel, but still seems to work OK like that. But I went ahead and installed Stratus-option remote ADS-B in and GPS antennas and I routinely see 11-13 GPS satellites showing in the green.
Stratus and iPad have been powered by USB adapter inserted into the accessory plug. Appareo USB unit being installed today in place of that useless acc. plug.

With the iPad mounted essentially vertically and in the position shown (the unit sits in total shade for most sun angles) the sun can only ever (and only occasionally) shine on one edge and therefore does not contribute to heating the unit up. Moreover, the mount I use allows free airflow behind most of the unit. It may or may not matter that I use an iPad mini. I also make sure to shut down any and all other apps when using the iPad in flight. My unit has never, ever overheated, even though it's not in the direct path of an air vent.
2002 DA40-180: MT, PowerFlow, 530W/430W, KAP140, ext. baggage, 1090 ES out, 2646 MTOW, 40gal., Surefly, Flightstream 210, Orion 600 LED, XeVision, Aspen E5
Keith M
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Keith
Airports: EGNH

Post by Keith M »

Reinhard,
Thanks for all that background information. I did consider getting the WAAS hardware upgrade, but the CAA have really dragged their feet about implementing such approaches here in the UK, so I never got around to it and it's too late now! The software upgrades would be worthwhile on their own though, so do you know if URBE offer that option?
reinhardj
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Reinhard
Aircraft Registration: DEWDI
Airports: EDWQ

Post by reinhardj »

Keith,

if I remember it correctly, the URBE STC for the "chinese" software is only valid incl. WAAS upgrade. You should contact URBE directly, my contact person is Stefan Ennengel <stefan.ennengel@urbe.aero>
Reinhard
DA40D, S/N D4.338
G1000, GDU 12.03, WAAS, GTX 345, SVT, Safetaxi, PilotPak
Rich
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by Rich »

New USB adapter, replacing the accessory plug. This is wired via dedicated breaker to the avionics bus. BTW, this was a major pain - primarily due to installing a new breaker.

Another detail We wound up pulling almost everything out of the instrument panel. I had to re-seat the KAP 140 unit 3 times before it would pass the pre-flight test sequence.

I need a way to fashion replacement placards. Does anyone have a suggestion for how to go about it?

Stratus USB.jpg
2002 DA40-180: MT, PowerFlow, 530W/430W, KAP140, ext. baggage, 1090 ES out, 2646 MTOW, 40gal., Surefly, Flightstream 210, Orion 600 LED, XeVision, Aspen E5
Steve
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Steve
Aircraft Registration: N432SC
Airports: 1T7

Post by Steve »

Rich wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:49 pmI need a way to fashion replacement placards. Does anyone have a suggestion for how to go about it?
Rich,

If you just need new lettering, I use a Brother P-Touch printer and 12mm white on black tape. I trim the label to fit. The 'ELT' and 'CO DETECT" labels on the picture below were made that way.
DSCN0171.jpg
Steve
TwinStarScott
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Scott
Aircraft Type: DA42
Aircraft Registration: N189Y
Airports: WN53

Post by TwinStarScott »

ADS-B OUT only - Bendix KT74. As it happens, second recert since '15 installation happening today. If I were doing it today, it'd be a GTX 335.
As my GNS units were already both WAAS (since '07), it was a relatively easy installation. It came to roughly $5000 . . . . .
iPad mounting is standard RAM yoke-mount, using their relatively new "claw" option.
I have full range of control motion with the device in place as shown, as well as full visibility of all flight instruments. I do not remove for ingress/egress. I freely admit that not everyone can use this mounting approach.

With the iPad mounted essentially vertically and in the position shown (the unit sits in total shade for most sun angles) the sun can only ever (and only occasionally) shine on one edge and therefore does not contribute to heating the unit up. Moreover, the mount I use allows free airflow behind most of the unit. It may or may not matter that I use an iPad mini.
Thank you Rich for sharing your ADS-B details and iPad mounting information.

Wow - by Diamond standards, you got a great deal by meeting the 2020 mandate at a price roughly 50% lower than the legacy owners.

Your iPad mount is quite clever for all of the reasons you mentioned! What part of the interior are you securing the "claw" to (as your picture doesn't show this)? And why couldn't any and all DA40/42 owners use this option? However, I can't imagine your mounting option allowing for anything larger than a mini iPad. Have you ever tried using a full size iPad in this same location?
Rich
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by Rich »

The mount is to the stick itself, and therefore moves with it. Note that the power cabling comes up from below. I've since gone to angled-connector cables so the lightning connector doesn't stick down. Once upon a time I had a Motion Pro LS800 mounted similarly. My (at the time) partner tried it and literally freaked out to have something mounted like that. Plus you can't have a lot of girth or you'll find stick movement limited. Not a good thing. The view in my earlier photograph shows the iPad in normal flight position. With the stick pulled back all the way the iPad comes up close to my chest and is no longer viewable. This isn't important in that any kind of flight mode I'd be in at that point doesn't benefit from iPad display. Ingress/egress does require a slight spreading of the legs as I sit or rise. Not tricky for me, but would be for some others. Once seated, the entire mount is not impacted by my legs.

BTW, FF also gives various audible warnings to me via my Clarity Aloft being plugged in.

I've given some thought recently to switching to the 11" iPad Pro. That's somewhat larger but should be OK. The flip side is these do not include an old-style audio port, so I'd likely want a new headset that has a bluetooth interface. Plus they no longer use lightning connectors, so I'd need to find an angled USB-A - USB-C cable. It never ends :)
new iPad mount.jpg