5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Chris
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N171CB
Airports: KRHV

Re: Path to ADS-B & WAAS for older DA40s

Post by Chris B »

We just had a GTX345R installed by Aerial Avionics at RHV (San Jose, CA) in our DA40 XLS (2008 w/WAAS) for $7.5k before rebate. The internal combo XM/GPS antenna is allowed by Garmin and significantly reduces complexity and cost. Since RHV is our home airport, I was able to remove/reinstall the rear interior in our hangar which also saved labor.

I haven't yet flown with rear passengers (who might block the signal), but so far the Bluetooth connection works fine with my Tab S2 tablet mounted to the left of the PFD. Traffic, weather & AHRS integration with Garmin Pilot is slick. Better than I expected.

One unfortunate side effect of the remote GTX345R (at least with older G1000s) is that the tail number cannot be changed for compassion flights (e.g., Angel Flights). Apparently the FAA requires that the ADS-B broadcast match the ATC call sign. Panel mount GTX345s can be adjusted in the cockpit, but not remote GTX345Rs interfaced via (some/all?) G1000s.

Chris
pietromarx
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Peter
Aircraft Registration: NZZZ
Airports: KWHP

Post by pietromarx »

Glad to see that you were able to get it installed for a reasonable price.

I'm able to change the tail number in the G1000 in my airplane (.23 version).
Rick
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rick
Aircraft Registration: NONE
Airports: KROA

Post by Rick »

pietromarx wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 6:09 pmI'm able to change the tail number in the G1000 in my airplane (.23 version).
I do believe it is a GTX345 configuration option to enable/disable the ability to change the tail number, so it may be that you have it enabled and most of us don't. I don't think I can change mine, either, and I have the .23 version, too. Where do you find the option to change it?
Roanoke, VA (KROA)
perossichi
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
Aircraft Registration: N925RH
Airports: KVNY

Post by perossichi »

I have 2002 with a 530W/430. 530 upgraded to 530W by previous owner.

Installed garmin 345 for about $7500. I have Bluetooth traffic/weather to foreflight and in 530W upgraded to latest software. Works great if expensive
pietromarx
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
Aircraft Registration: NZZZ
Airports: KWHP

Post by pietromarx »

To change Flight ID on the G1000, check out the Pilot's Guide page 4-6 going back to 2007: https://static.garmincdn.com/pumac/G100 ... eGuide.pdf. I can't say exactly what version this corresponds to, but certainly the most recent ones. It was added at the same time that support for the TAS-600 was incorporated ...

I don't recall off-hand where the config settings in the G1000 configuration manual are to let the pilot set the flight ID, if any, but page 6-4 of the July 2016 GTX-345R installation manuals show how to enable it.
CFIDave
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dave
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N333GX
Airports: KJYO Leesburg VA

Post by CFIDave »

I recall in 2015 when upgrading my DA42-VI to ADS-B (GTX33 to GTX33ES, not the GTX345R that I would have installed today), there was a configuration option with the G1000 software installer that lets the Flight ID be changed by the pilot, and enables/disables ADS-B transmission at any time via a G1000 softkey (Note: disabling ADS-B transmission in the US is illegal under FAA regs.)

I'm guessing this configuration option may also apply to the GTX345R, with the difference that the Garmin tech uses a laptop to configure the GTX345R transponder at time of installation for legacy G1000s. (For NXi, the GTX345R is configured via the G1000 software installer just like all the other G1000 LRUs).
Epic Aircraft E1000 GX
Former DA40XLS, DA42-VI, and DA62 owner
ATP, CFI, CFI-I, MEI
Chris B
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by Chris B »

I spoke with 2nd-level Garmin support today about changing flight ID and improving Bluetooth signal strength for "legacy" G1000s with a GTX345R. Thankfully it looks like there are reasonable solutions to both issues.

The ability to change Flight ID is a configurable option by the installer (connected to the GTX345R via a laptop). As long as the G1000 supports the GTX345R at all, there are no other minimum firmware requirements. The GTX345R defaults to the physical tail number at system power-up, but can be temporarily overridden via the PFD until the next power cycle. You may have to ask for this option during installation, since it apparently is not the default configuration.

For improved Bluetooth connectivity, the simplest and least expensive solution is a Flight Stream 110 (~$600 list). This connects to the GTX345R via RS232(/422), and is supported by Garmin. Since it does *not* connect to the G1000, adding the Flight Stream 110 does not require any additional approvals by Diamond or the FAA (337).

My limited experience with the GTX345R in the DA40 demonstrates that when there is no luggage over the rack, Bluetooth works "OK." But any additional bags attenuate the signal enough to prevent a connection. If Bluetooth connectivity is important to you, consider adding the Flight Stream 110 to your installation. We are still plotting the simplest location to physically mount the FS110.

Chris
TwinStarScott
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Scott
Aircraft Type: DA42
Aircraft Registration: N189Y
Airports: WN53

Post by TwinStarScott »

If your budget allows, consider a FS210 - as this unit allows for AHRS data, plus other features that might be helpful in the future.

Here's a comparison from the Garmin and Foreflight websites:

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/153681

https://support.foreflight.com/hc/en-us ... ht-Mobile-

PS - this unit can be legally installed without a 337.
Chris B
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by Chris B »

ScottSutton wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 4:09 am If your budget allows, consider a FS210 - as this unit allows for AHRS data, plus other features that might be helpful in the future.
Maybe, but the GTX345R already includes an AHRS. And AFAIK there is no "legacy" G1000 flight plan integration regardless of firmware revision. Garmin would need to invest in pre-NXi systems. That seems like a long shot.

Chris
TwinStarScott
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Scott
Aircraft Type: DA42
Aircraft Registration: N189Y
Airports: WN53

Post by TwinStarScott »

Yes you're right Chris, the 345R does include an AHRS. Yet IF the bluetooth signal emanating from the LRU rack is non-existent to intermittent in the cockpit, then the AHRS feature is of no benefit whatsoever - even with a FS110. This lack of bluetooth reception with the 345R was also the case for my 2006 DA42 serial number 033. So my avionics shop then installed a FS210, while they still had easy access for the cable run up to the instrument panel. Labor costs were therefore minimal.

As for the legacy G1000 systems and the flight plan transfer feature:

the G1000 Pilot's Guide Manual for the DA42NG lists “Added flight plan import / export” for GDU version 11.12 (and above). Perhaps this is only applies for use with an SD card. . . .

Here's my hunch:

All of us with legacy G1000 systems could well take advantage of this time-saving feature - but are limited by either hardware or software, and in most cases both. Yet it seems this is likely still quite possible, so let's not give up all hope just yet.

Quickly scanning the G1000 petition list, only a few aircraft have GDU software above version 11.12. Yet this is a very small sample size since many owners did not list their GDU version when signing up.

Short of an avionics expert weighing in on this subject, the ideal flight plan transfer test would be for an owner who has:

1) installed a 345R and has good bluetooth connectivity in their cockpit
2) has GDU version 11.12 or higher

And then kindly let us know if this combination allows for flight plan transfers. If it doesn't, then is there another aircraft that meets the above requirements, but also has a FS210 installed?

Another way to perhaps test the FlightStream flight transfer theory, is when NXi owners get their GTX-345R / FS510 equipment installed, and then try a flight plan transfer with the FS510 card removed. Of course, this would be a much higher level of GDU software and not a competely accurate test for legacy owners, but it should shed light on the FlightStream value added question.

Time will eventually yield an answer, yet it sure would have been beneficial for owners to have had this information made available to them when the 345R was first released. As otherwise we're all left making hardware decisions (which are dependent upon GDU software update cycles) while not understanding all of the variables. This is just one more reason why the manufacturer should be actively involved on this forum by providing owners with valuable decision-making information, such as this.

Finally, for those who have already signed up, please confirm your GDU version has already been added by clicking HERE. As this is one of the most helpful and important data fields in the entire spreadsheet to capture. Thanks!

PS - the DA42 thread on this subject has yet to figure out when the rear bulkhead material was possibly changed, but it seems to be somewhere between 2006 and 2008. It would be beneficial for those who have yet to install a 345R to know precisely if and when this bulkhead material was ever changed for the DA40's. Or if all DA40's suffer from poor LRU bluetooth reception, just as my DA42 does.