4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Scott
Aircraft Type: DA42
Aircraft Registration: N189Y
Airports: WN53

Re: Inexpensive DIY solution to GTX345R Bluetooth problem - with pics

Post by TwinStarScott »

I think you will be better off waiting for the Phase II release and the FS510 Pekka, as installing a FS210 will involve substantial labor costs associated by having to open everything up inside your airplane. It still might be a wash from an expense standpoint (210 vs. 510), when you factor this into the equation but the 510 is the cleaner option. At least that is what I would do in your situation.

And with a brand new DA40 you should have the most recent G1000 hardware. If not, it usually only gets more expensive if you hold off upgrading. I'm running short on time right now and am thinking you might want to consult with your local Garmin dealer for further guidance. Hopefully you have one nearby.

Please do keep us posted on what you eventually decide and how it all works out for you.

Best of luck,
Scott
Antoine
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Antoine
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N121AG
Airports: LSGG

Post by Antoine »

From my experience with FS210, one should not get too excited about flight plan transfers. if you transfer TO the ipad the it will cause you lots of nuisance. Every time you hit direct to, a popup in the ipad, right while you were studying the approach chart...
My FS210 has failed an I am reverting to the GTX 345R.
Won't miss the FPL transfer...
CFIDave
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dave
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N333GX
Airports: KJYO Leesburg VA

Post by CFIDave »

Pekka:

You are correct that new DA40NG aircraft delivered with "Phase 2" G1000 NXi software will support the FlightStream 510 wireless card. The FS510 makes connecting wirelessly to the GTX345R with Bluetooth unnecessary; instead, your iPad/iPhone will communicate to the G1000 NXi via Bluetooth and WiFi to the FS510 wireless SDcard. New DA40 NGs will have the new GMA 1360 Bluetooth/3D audio panel, GIA64Ws instead of GIA63Ws, and a slightly different GEA 71B engine/sensor G1000 interface unit -- and will be the first Diamonds able to run NXi "Phase 2" software.

However for previously-delivered G1000 NXi DA40 NGs -- with the original 1347 audio panel, GIA63Ws, and GEA71 -- there will soon be a different Phase 2 software version available that includes FS510 wireless support. Therefore all DA40 NGs with G1000 NXi should be able to benefit from Phase 2 software and FS510 without requiring hardware upgrades.
Epic Aircraft E1000 GX
Former DA40XLS, DA42-VI, and DA62 owner
ATP, CFI, CFI-I, MEI
Pehu
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Pekka
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: ESTWN
Airports: LSZL

Post by Pehu »

Oh ok! so either way, I get the "phase II". Good to know.

The plane came out of the factory last week (or, released from Austria), it has NXi but older audio panel and GIA63W (if I recall correctly).

Scott, I'll talk to my shop after the summer, hope there is more information about my option after that.
ES-TWN / DA62 #62.155
OH-ASM / DA40NG #N_399 (sold)
OH-WOW / DA40NG #N_328 (co-ownership, sold)
Based in Locarno, Switzerland
Ultrapilot1
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Steven
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N446SB
Airports: KPIE KTHA

Post by Ultrapilot1 »

Chris B wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 3:24 am It turns out that the tiny U.FL connectors need to be well-supported. IME, the U.FL <-> RP-SMA adapter connection is easy to accidentally disconnect. :oops:

After consulting with my RF guru friend, the new plan is to substitute a mini-whip antenna in place of the microstrip antenna. This requires using an SMA to RP-SMA adapter instead of the U.FL/RP-SMA adapter, but the connections are now all robust. My friend expects no material performance difference. The gap from the top of the GTX345R to the carbon fiber cover is ~10mm (3/8"), which provides plenty of room for the small whip antenna.

Since others may be implementing this solution, I wanted to update this thread even though I have not yet received or installed the new components:
My IA has also OK'd drilling the small access hole in the bulkhead for routing, lined with a rubber grommet. More pics after installation, but this could be a few weeks.

Chris
Awesome! I already implemented the new version with the micro antenna and it works like a charm! Thank you for solving a really annoying problem!
TwinStarScott
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Scott
Aircraft Type: DA42
Aircraft Registration: N189Y
Airports: WN53

Post by TwinStarScott »

Two questions for Antoine:

- how long did it take for your FS210 to fail, both in terms of flight time and years in service? As this could also potentially have ramifications for the NXi / FS510 equipped airplanes as well.

- isn't the biggest advantage of the flight plan transfer sending data TO the G1000? Thus, saving all that button pushing and knob twisting. I can see this as big time saver in the air. Case in point, ATC always issues me a major re-route when approaching the LA Class Bravo airspace and while transitioning the area on the Southbound leg - making it a bit of a mad scramble without the benefit of this feature.
Chris B
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Chris
Aircraft Registration: N171CB
Airports: KRHV

Post by Chris B »

We recently finalized the installation as a minor modification.
  • Consistently "excellent" signal strength, per Garmin Pilot.
    My tablet connects ~15m beyond the spinner.
  • Cabling unaffected by rear baggage compartment removal or hidden compartment contents.
  • Installation does not require rear seat removal.
  • Total parts cost <$50, including shipping.
Parts list (though alternatives should work fine):
  • 1x Mini-whip antenna - Digi-Key PN 740-1015-ND (~$5)
  • 1x RP-SMA to SMA adapter - Digi-Key PN ACX1243-ND (~$9)
  • 2x 50cm RP-SMA extension cable - Amazon ASIN B00B91CRRI (~$10)
  • 1x Wi-Fi antenna - Amazon ASIN B00NVG5YZG (~$8)
    (We used the large antenna because it was easier to secure in the cabin)
  • 1x rubber grommet
  • ~100cm plastic spiral shield to enhance abrasion resistance
  • 1x MS21919-WCH9 Adel clamp
  • 2x zip-tie mounting bases & zip ties
  • RTV
Chris

Here are some pics:

We decided to bond the Mini-whip antenna to the GTX345R with RTV adhesive.
Quite secure, but easy to remove if necessary.

Two extension cables (100cm total) simplified routing.

~0.5" bulkhead hole with grommet.

End-to-end. Large antenna secured with Adel clamp, using existing trim screw.

Final result.
vontresc
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Peter
Aircraft Registration: N569DS
Airports: KMSN

Post by vontresc »

I have the parts in hand. Will try doing the same in our Da-40 once it is back from Annual/Engine overhaul later this week.

Thanks for the install ideas.
BkFlyer
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Adam
Aircraft Registration: N269RB
Airports: KLDJ

Post by BkFlyer »

Apologies for the necro-post. I want to share some photos from my successful attempt at this mod. I largely followed the parts list and instructions from Chris B, but did not create any new penetrations. I also spray painted the antenna to match the interior. Here are the pics:

The cable is run from the GTX 345 through the gap between the lip of the vertical panel and the storage bin. From there it is tucked under the lip (there is ample space in the curvature). Finally, at the far end of the picture you can see where the cable exits the tow bar storage bin and goes up the wall.
cable runs
cable runs
Here are a few pictures as I re-assembled the carpets and panels.
storage open
storage open
antenna
antenna
The assembled product looks like this
antenna
antenna
After some testing with an Android RSSI app (iOS doesn't support RSSI on non BLE Bluetooth), we decided on a horizontal orientation for the antenna. It follows the trim line of the leather panel. In the picture below I drew the antenna in blue and the cable runs in red.
IMG_33862.png
Before this mod, an iPad suction mounted to the window left of the pilot would lose GTX 345 signal several times an hour. After the mod, the connection is fairly stable so far.

To match the stock leather trim, the closest color I could find was Rustoleum Automotive Prime "2081 Light gray primer". I tested every spray paint can at Home Depot 8-)
Attachments
complete
complete
smoss
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Steve
Airports: KVGT

Post by smoss »

Adam, did you also RTV the mini antenna to the transponder? I am a bit concerned that if you do such, and ever need to repair/swap the transponder, Garmin may have an issue taking it as a swap with a mucked up / tampered with, sticker there. Probably a non-issue, but you never know. Also, why is everyone putting it on the right side? Wouldn't it make more sense to put it on the left, closer to the pilot?
Steve
DA40 XL