3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Charlie
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N68C
Airports: KLZU

engine overhaul

Post by Cschobel »

Want to get advice on engine overhaul or factory rebuilt for IO-360M1B. recomendations on who you used for buy and install. I am in SE USA near ATLANTA gA
Charlie Schobel
N68C
Www.rollingwithkc.com
KLZU
shorton
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Scott
Aircraft Type: DA42NG
Aircraft Registration: N68MJ
Airports: KSNA

Re: engine overhaul

Post by shorton »

I think you are referring to an IO-360M1A rather than M1B.

I’ve had a factory rebuild and a factory overhaul on my 40’s. If you have an original core, Lycoming offers the zero-time factory rebuild for the same cost as a factory overhaul. A benefit of the rebuild is a 2 year warranty instead of a 1 year warranty for the overhaul, so it’s a no-brainer.

The other 40 did not have an original core to exchange, so I decided against the extra cost of the rebuild and went with the factory overhaul. I based that decision mostly on conversations I had with Lycoming about the substantive difference between a rebuild vs factory overhaul.

AirPower was the distributor I dealt with and they were excellent on price and service. For the overhauled engine, Lycoming told me they needed 5 weeks to supply an engine, but AirPower had one in stock and it was at my shop within a few days.

I considered a few options other than factory. The only option I thought was tempting was Victor Aviation in Palo Alto, CA.
Scott Horton, JD CPA
ATP, FAA Gold Seal CFI, CFII, MEI
https://orangecountyflightinstruction.com
KSNA, Orange County, CA
vontresc
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Peter
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N569DS
Airports: KMSN

Re: engine overhaul

Post by vontresc »

We are currently in the process of getting an overhaul done. We decided to ho with an overhaul at Poplar Grove Airmotive. They have done a few engines for our club in the past and we've had good results with them in the past.

The only downside is the lead time. all shops I quoted were 5-6 weeks with some even longer.