5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rich
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N40XE
Airports: S39 Prineville OR

The next stuff

Post by Rich »

So I'm out of new stuff to add to my plane, but I do have some planned replacements of things:

Attitude Indicator - probably a RC Allen 2610 - unless something else comes along. My current AI has this screaming high-pitched sound which bodes ill for its longevity. Probably will do this soon.

HSI - A Garmin G5. It's a perfect fit given my GNS units and KAP140. Pull the four components of the KCS 55 and replace with the three for the G5 HSI integration. I just have to get past the lack of DA40 on the AML, which should be doable. No urgency, the existing system is working fine. There is the strangely token display of glideslope that puts me off a bit when considering hand-flying, but I suppose one could get used to it.

Turn Coordinator - Looking for a newer technology and haven't found one to replace it. The existing one isn't properly calibrated, though it works OK in practical terms. Hate to spend bucks and retain what might become my only iron gyro.

Autopilot? In the back of my mind lurks the idea of replacing the KAP140 with a GFC 500. Another AML obstacle, and a bigger deal with an autopilot. Just noodling so far.

The obvious question would be "Why not a G5 to replace the AI?" Well, it's mostly a personal preference coupled with ergonomics. Note that what's displayed on the screen is largely the same as a G1000, but squeezed down into a 3" circle. Not a big deal when concentrating on the flying task itself, but it clutters the display quite a bit for when you are dealing with chart selection, briefing approaches, switching frequencies and copying amended clearances (my favorite thing) and need to be checking attitude and so forth at a glance. There are a couple of other smaller items, like the fact that stacking 2 G5's in my panel likely requires a bit of modification,yet a third altimeter that would need periodic recert, etc.
2002 DA40-180: MT, PowerFlow, 530W/430W, KAP140, ext. baggage, 1090 ES out, 2646 MTOW, 40gal., Surefly, Flightstream 210, Orion 600 LED, XeVision, Aspen E5
Steve
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Steve
Aircraft Registration: N432SC
Airports: 1T7

Re: The next stuff

Post by Steve »

Rich:

I like the way you are...

always thinking ahead. Does your wife buy your rationale? Mine always looks at me cross-eyed when I mention things like, "I have to spend $3K on an ADS-B out installation." "Why?" she asks. "Because the FAA says I have to."

When my AI gives up the ghost, I'm also planning the RCA electronic unit. It is about a pound lighter than the mechanical gyro it replaces.

I really like my KCS-55 HSI, if it croaks, I'll probably bite the bullet and overhaul it. I've already overhauled the KG-102A gyro (1.8 AMUs). The darn thing only lasted 17 years...

I have one of the new brushless turn coordinators 'in stock' for the eventuality of mine failing. Remember, if you keep the KAP140, it needs the turn coordinator to drive it.

My autopilot has been good, except for a flight control computer failure 17 years ago (under warranty) and a recent failure of the disconnect switch ($6.00 from Mouser). I also have a spare KC140 control computer. So, especially with the mainly VFR flying I do, I'm not looking to go to the trouble of upgrading the autopilot...

Steve
Rich
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by Rich »

Steve wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 8:39 pm Rich:

... Does your wife buy your rationale? Mine always looks at me cross-eyed when I mention things like, "I have to spend $3K on an ADS-B out installation." "Why?" she asks. "Because the FAA says I have to."

I really like my KCS-55 HSI, if it croaks, I'll probably bite the bullet and overhaul it. I've already overhauled the KG-102A gyro (1.8 AMUs). The darn thing only lasted 17 years...

I have one of the new brushless turn coordinators 'in stock' for the eventuality of mine failing. Remember, if you keep the KAP140, it needs the turn coordinator to drive it.

My autopilot has been good, except for a flight control computer failure 17 years ago (under warranty) and a recent failure of the disconnect switch ($6.00 from Mouser). I also have a spare KC140 control computer. So, especially with the mainly VFR flying I do, I'm not looking to go to the trouble of upgrading the autopilot...

Steve
No problems with the wifey. Our basic expenses are fulfilled by pensions/SS. We slowly draw down savings on extras like this. At the rate we're doing it we might have to dig into our investments when we're in our mid-80's (if applicable :roll: ).

Understood about the TC. I'm up in the air about trying to correct it's current deficiencies somehow - the devil you know ...

The A/P has been OK. I also had some struggles with it early on. A Honeywell tech analyzed and got them corrected a bit over 2 years after we took delivery of the plane. Covered it under warranty and it's been reliable ever since. HSI is the same. I did have the 525 worked on about 4 years ago because of a mismatch between the heading bug indicator and the magnetic course it actually commanded. Apparently a common problem. But the magnetic course itself has been amazingly solid. I used it to swing my mag compass when it was replaced, rather than the limited compass rose here at Prineville.
2002 DA40-180: MT, PowerFlow, 530W/430W, KAP140, ext. baggage, 1090 ES out, 2646 MTOW, 40gal., Surefly, Flightstream 210, Orion 600 LED, XeVision, Aspen E5
blsewardjr
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Bernie
Aircraft Registration: N377DS
Airports: KCHO

Post by blsewardjr »

Rich- You (and we other steam gauge DA40 owners) can also start saving for the new just announced certified Garmin G3X PFD/MFD/EIS, although it requires a backup AI and it can't be the Garmin G5. (I couldn't tell if you have both the 10inch and 7inch versions, that counts.) See the AML -- https://support.garmin.com/en-US/?produ ... ab=manuals Unfortunately, N/A to G1000 DA40s. It works with GNS530W/430W. Interestingly, it has Highway in the Sky, aka Pathways display for approaches like , which the G500 TXI does not.
Bernie Seward, IR, AGI
2003 DA40 N377DS
KCHO Charlottesville, VA
Rich
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by Rich »

Interesting. I have no clue as to 10-inch, 7-inch. I haven't had time to look though the docs.
Rich
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by Rich »

I sat in on the Garmin webinar this morning. The G3X is interesting. It would be a panel and rewiring overhaul for sure. And almost requires a G5 to be used as the backup suite of 3 gauges, given the shortage of real estate in my panel. Even the 7" can't be squeezed into the middle column. I figure either size requires removal of the shock panel in favor of direct mount.

One also needs to retain the turn coordinator to support the KAP140, though I suppose I could replace it with the blind version used in the G1000 installations, thereby saving panel space.

More research needed whether the VM1000 sensors (especially the fuel levels) can be retained) and what to do about the Davtron.

I could see this easily going North of 20 AMU. And there is a new set of database updates to manage, at $200-$300-ish per year.
N40XE Instrument Panel.small.jpg
blsewardjr
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member

Post by blsewardjr »

Looking at the Maintenance Manual, it appears that the only option for backup instruments is the current steam gauges (since the G5 is specifically prohibited for the DA40 and, unlike the G500 TXI, no other standby instrument options are listed.) There are some older G500 installations in DA40's that use the existing instruments so it appears a 10" or 7" could be done. (It also appears that while two G3X displays can have PFD reversion, they can't serve as standby instruments.) Also, the 7 inch, if used alone, does not support EIS. Overall, very disappointing.
Bernie Seward, IR, AGI
2003 DA40 N377DS
KCHO Charlottesville, VA
Rich
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by Rich »

blsewardjr wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 5:54 pm Looking at the Maintenance Manual, it appears that the only option for backup instruments is the current steam gauges (since the G5 is specifically prohibited for the DA40 and, unlike the G500 TXI, no other standby instrument options are listed.)
Not sure that's true in this case. The AML for the G3X for certified lists the DA40 and there is no exclusion listed for use of the G5. It has been excluded as backup for G1000, and the G3X is also not allowed for installation with a G1000 (I don't know how one would squeeze it in, anyway). But clarification is needed. I do note that the DA40 is not on the current AML for the G5 itself. That may or may not be an obstacle.

The G3X does in fact use the same additional components as a G5 HSI installation.
blsewardjr
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member

Post by blsewardjr »

Per the AML, the DA40 is subject to fn3 -- (3) Cannot use the Garmin G5 Electronic Flight Instrument as a Standby Attitude indicator for IFR aircraft
Bernie Seward, IR, AGI
2003 DA40 N377DS
KCHO Charlottesville, VA
Rich
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by Rich »

blsewardjr wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 6:14 pm Per the AML, the DA40 is subject to fn3 -- (3) Cannot use the Garmin G5 Electronic Flight Instrument as a Standby Attitude indicator for IFR aircraft
Ah, yes. I stand corrected. I still have no clue why this would be. Or, for that matter, why the DA40 isn't on the G5 AML in the first place.