3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: DAVID
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N542GL
Airports: KTAD

G1000 Engine Monitoring Data Card

Post by dwurfel »

Have been reading up on this but would love some real world input. I have an annual coming up and want to discuss engine parameters with the A&P.
As I understand it the data card for monitoring is the top card in the MFD. Couple of questions:
1. Can you change out this data card with a larger card to store engine data. I understand that this card just sits there after you download updated NAV to the G1000.
2. I have heard there are some after market programs you can download flight data parmeters to that will provide analysis and graphics to better understand the data.

I have a couple of long distance flights coming up and want to have that data for my annual.

Any help as always wil be appreciated. :bow
waynemcc999
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Wayne
Aircraft Registration: N211WP
Airports: KSBA

Re: G1000 Engine Monitoring Data Card

Post by waynemcc999 »

On #2... I suggest Savvy Analysis Pro:
https://www.savvyaviation.com/home/savv ... yanalysis/

Not only can you analyze your engine and performance data, but you'll also get quarterly "cohort" and trend analyses comparing your DA40 to ~120 other DA40s. VERY cool and useful.
Wayne McClelland
PPL/IR, 2008 Diamond Star DA40-XLS 40.922, KSBA
Photo logs of PilotsNPaws | Flying Doctors | Angel Flight | YouTube @GeezerGeekPilot
Boatguy
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Russ
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: N962M
Airports: KSTS

Post by Boatguy »

1. Yes, you can put in a larger card, though the engine log data is all text and relatively small. 100hrs of flight time in my plane requires only 240MB.

2. In addition to Savvy, I suggest using Cirrus Reports (cirrusreports.com). You can upload your data and then do analysis of various engine performance factors. It is free and very good. You can also view other aircraft who are sharing their data if you want to compare your engines to a larger pool of planes.
dwurfel
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: DAVID
Aircraft Registration: N542GL
Airports: KTAD

Post by dwurfel »

Thanks guys for the quick reply. This forum and the fellow diamond owners rock. Thanks again.
Rick
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rick
Aircraft Registration: NONE
Airports: KROA

Post by Rick »

Russ, you may or may not be aware, but the engine data is stored on the SD card as "comma-separated values", or CSV files. These ascii files are readable by any type of spreadsheet or data-analysis program, so you could even open them with Excel, for example, and look at the parameters yourself if you were so inclined. Also, as far as data card size goes, you do not need to leave the files on the card forever. The G1000 creates a single file each time it is powered on (so typically one file for each flight). You can remove the card periodically and copy the files to your computer or other storage, and then delete them from the card before replacing it back into the MFD. In my case, I have 2 cards I rotate periodically replacing the used one with the empty one, and then copy the files to my computer at home.

The web sites mentioned here allow you to graph various engine parameters. We also have that capability here on this site, in case you are not aware (you can upload your data files at this link here). The SavvyAviation site does much more analysis, while most of the other sites just provide a way to view the data.
Roanoke, VA (KROA)
Boatguy
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Russ
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: N962M
Airports: KSTS

Post by Boatguy »

Rick, I was aware of the data formatting, but not that there is a monitoring facility here on DA.net. Unfortunately the bulk upload requires Flash which I don't permit on my computer. Is there any other way to bulk upload?

Thanks also to Wayne as I didn't realize Savvy had a free service.
Rick
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rick
Aircraft Registration: NONE
Airports: KROA

Post by Rick »

As it's currently implemented, I think Flash is the only way to do a batch upload. Do you have a VM you could use just to get your current flies uploaded (enable flash, then revert it)? Future flights could then be uploaded one by one without Flash.

I also didn't realize Savvy had a free service. I will have to check that out. Thanks, Wayne!
Roanoke, VA (KROA)
Chris B
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Chris
Aircraft Registration: N171CB
Airports: KRHV

Post by Chris B »

IME, the big advantage of CirrusReports.com (now AKA FlightData.com) is trend analysis of engine data across flights. I find this *quite* useful.

Savvy is better for detailed analysis of an individual flight, particularly when running GAMI tests. The GAMI "wizard" directly computes results.

CirrusReports.com also makes it trivially easy to create a composite flight log map. This is more of a gimmic, but fun. :D

Chris

2016 Composite:
CFIDave
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dave
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N333GX
Airports: KJYO Leesburg VA

Post by CFIDave »

Chris: I've got hundreds of flights on CirrusReports -- how do I "trivially easy" create a composite flight map?

It's also worth mentioning that FlyGarmin.com (where many of you go to get your G1000 database subscription updates) also has a free logbook feature that lets you upload your G1000 log files. It has a cool gimmick that displays a PFD with HSI when you play back a flight.
Epic Aircraft E1000 GX
Former DA40XLS, DA42-VI, and DA62 owner
ATP, CFI, CFI-I, MEI
Chris B
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Chris
Aircraft Registration: N171CB
Airports: KRHV

Post by Chris B »

CFIDave wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 6:06 pm Chris: I've got hundreds of flights on CirrusReports -- how do I "trivially easy" create a composite flight map?
Hi Dave -

No worries:
  • Select "Flight Log" link near top-left.
  • Select desired date range & click "Go."
  • Click "Google Earth" link in upper right. This generates a KML file.
    With large numbers of flights, this will take time.
  • Open the downloaded KML file in Google Earth.
Voilà!

Chris