4 Diamonds Member
First Name: John
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N2691Y
Airports: KPTK KDTW

Re: DA-40 checkride help

Post by jb642DA »

Curt -

Try to do "well" on the written. I understand the DPE can see your "missed answers", so expect him/her to dig into those areas in the oral!!

Also, look through the FAA's "Instrument Rating – Airplane Airman Certification Standards (ACS)" document - here's the link to it if you haven't seen it yet - https://www.faa.gov/training_testing/te ... ng_acs.pdf
Looking!
1980 414A - N2691Y (sold)
DA62 - N100DA 62.078 (sold)
DA42TDi - N742SA 42.AC112 (sold)
Boatguy
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Russ
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: N962M
Airports: KSTS

Post by Boatguy »

No question you'll get the three approaches Dave describes and the with/without AP.

On the point of "every examiner is different", a friend of mine took his IR check ride earlier this year and "flunked" on questions regarding gyros, vacuum systems and all the ins/outs of analog six pack instruments (precession, etc.) even though his plane was a G1000 (he studied, came back and passed). The point being, the more you can learn about the specific DPE with whom you'll do the check ride, the better prepared you can be.

Everyone I've talked to says the oral is tougher than the flying.
perossichi
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Peter
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N925RH
Airports: KVNY

Post by perossichi »

A precision approach and two non-precision, one of which will be circling.

DME arc, holding pattern.

I had recovery from unusual attitudes as well.

Partial panel is a real problem in an aircraft with so much redundancy. I agree that this is something to be negotiated first.
Sold 2002. Powerflo, Hartzell composite two blade, 530W/430, 345 transponder.
Lou
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Louis
Aircraft Registration: CGXLO
Airports: CZVL

Post by Lou »

When you are questioned about V speeds be aware that the manual does not have have one of either Vx or Vy - I can't recall which right now.
curts63
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Curt
Aircraft Registration: N215CS
Airports: 22N

Post by curts63 »

Thank your for the information so far, very beneficial.

When it comes to partial panel, just what can or will they do? I've heard of, and Dave mentioned it, dimming the screen. What about other "failures" and how to simulate them?

My flying skills, according to my instructor, are sufficient to pass the flying portion. I'm sure the added pressure of the DPE will have me off a bit. The one thing I've never compiled, and would help as well, is the power and pitch settings for my plane to make better stabilized approaches. I have a 2012 DA40 with the newer 2 blade composite Hartzell. I still find myself adding and subtracting power on the approach, same thing in the traffic pattern.

I took the written test a couple years ago, prior to the new standards. I missed passing by 1 question. I've taken some online practice tests recently and pass in the 70's. I've never been good testing from reading books. When I barely pass the written, do you think this is where the DPE will spend more focus?

Curt
AndrewM
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Andrew
Aircraft Registration: N897KC
Airports:

Post by AndrewM »

Curt, I think you can expect the DPE to focus on areas of incorrect answers on the written. The good news is, you will know what those are, and can work with your instructor and make sure you are ready for those inevitable focus areas.

Also, one thing to think about when booking the time of your check-ride is the time of day, temperatures and so on. When I did my Instrument, was living in Florida and did my check-ride in the summer, at 11am. Now... in the summer in Florida I would always plan my flights early morning or after the thunderstorms. The day of the checkride it was hot as hell and the G1000 failed. It was just a simple connection issue quickly resolved, but I discontinued the checkride as I did not feel comfortable doing it on partial instruments.

Then when I re-did the check ride, on a day hotter than ever, the CO2 sensor started going off while I was doing an approach, and also there was a ton of turbulence. So I explained to the DPE that this was a known issue with the DA40, however I was taking no chances and did the CO2 emergency checklist and luckily did not screw up the approach. Anyhow the sensor stopped, we continued and then it did it again but I guess he was happy with my explanation and actions to make sure we had fresh air in the cabin.

So... be ready for the unexpected... and think about the temps/time of day you agree with the examiner and how that may impact your performance, and that of the plane.

All the best, Andrew.
Tom-B
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Tom
Aircraft Registration: N427CQ
Airports: KLOM

Post by Tom-B »

Curt,

A week before my exam I said to my instructor that I thought we should do unpublished holds ... his reply “no need, you will never need to do an unpublished hold”. What did my examiner ask me to do after the first two approaches ... yes, an unpublished hold.

Sadly, my instructor had overly studied the last examiner and not his replacement. Yet with my years of training experience I should have insisted he train me on these holds as I should be training to a standard of proficiency and not to a test being administered by a particular examiner.

Another suggestion is I began my cross country ground briefing with a detailed outline of my personal minimums. I stated that I think we should begin with these personal minimums because they influence all of my planning and subsequent actions.

Happy to share the documents I prepared for my exam ... just send me a PM
curts63
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Curt
Aircraft Registration: N215CS
Airports: 22N

Post by curts63 »

Thank you to everyone for your contributions. Now, I have a few things to work on with my instructor and to go over for the oral.

Much appreciated.

Curt
haykinson
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: ilya
Aircraft Type: DA40NG
Aircraft Registration: N724LA
Airports: KSMO

Post by haykinson »

For what it's worth, the DPE on my IR checkride dimmed the PFD but did NOT allow me to use reversionary mode. I needed to fly a non-precision RNAV approach to LNAV minimums using the magenta line on the map, and backup steam gauges.

Also, my instructor had me take off, get to around 300 to 400ft AGL and then put on the hood. The DPE had me go under the hood with around 50ft of altitude, so take care to practice that if your instructor is like mine.
TAILspin38
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Anthony
Aircraft Registration: N222AD
Airports: KHBG

Post by TAILspin38 »

Getting ready to take my IFR oral and practical hopefully next month. Much great advice given. Was wondering if anyone had anything else they may want to include to be ready for. I have a 2006 DA40 w/G1000 KAP140 package. Seems every time I think I am there the CFII throws the infamous curve ball! :roll: