1 Diamond Member
1 Diamond Member
First Name: Evan
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N890US
Airports: KASE

Re: DA-40 checkride help

Post by Ewp1000 »

Thanks for all the help so far, I have heard my DPE is really good with the g1000 so I am sure that all of this will be helpful. Also AndrewM I had no idea the silly fuel quantity measuring device was required and I have never seen it in the POH
midlifeflyer
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Mark
Aircraft Registration: N226PA
Airports: KTTA

Post by midlifeflyer »

Rich wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 4:17 pm Interesting. It appears that the POH is incorrect with respect to fuel indication. It looks like it describes operation of auxiliary tanks if you have a VM1000. (I suspect that no such DA40's exist.) It describes aux fuel indication not at all for the G1000. Presumably the supplement for the G1000 needs to be used.
...and there, in a nutshell, is the biggest G1000 DA40 "gotcha." There are no changes to the main POH from the round gauge model, but there are significant ones in the POH Supplements. The max amount shown in the G1000 fuel gauges, the removal of the 2400 rpm continuous power limitation if you have the 2+bladed Hartzell prop instead of the 3-bladed Sensenitch, are among them.
Rich
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rich
Aircraft Registration: N40XE
Airports: S39 Prineville OR

Post by Rich »

Ewp1000 wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 4:11 pm Thanks for all the help so far, I have heard my DPE is really good with the g1000 so I am sure that all of this will be helpful. Also AndrewM I had no idea the silly fuel quantity measuring device was required and I have never seen it in the POH
It's listed in the "Minimum Operational Equipment" table in section 2 under "Other Operational Minimum Equipment" and illustrated in section 7.10 at or about pg. 7 - 40.

For a checkride you really had better be familiar with what's in the AFM/POH. Not meant to be a scold, just a strong suggestion.
2002 DA40-180: MT, PowerFlow, 530W/430W, KAP140, ext. baggage, 1090 ES out, 2646 MTOW, 40gal., Surefly, Flightstream 210, Orion 600 LED, XeVision, Aspen E5
CFIDave
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dave
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N333GX
Airports: KJYO Leesburg VA

Post by CFIDave »

midlifeflyer wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 10:52 am
Rich wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 4:17 pm Interesting. It appears that the POH is incorrect with respect to fuel indication. It looks like it describes operation of auxiliary tanks if you have a VM1000. (I suspect that no such DA40's exist.) It describes aux fuel indication not at all for the G1000. Presumably the supplement for the G1000 needs to be used.
...and there, in a nutshell, is the biggest G1000 DA40 "gotcha." There are no changes to the main POH from the round gauge model, but there are significant ones in the POH Supplements. The max amount shown in the G1000 fuel gauges, the removal of the 2400 rpm continuous power limitation if you have the 2+bladed Hartzell prop instead of the 3-bladed Sensenitch, are among them.
That's because the G1000, GFC700 autopilot, Powerflow exhaust that improves performance, etc. were all added to the original steam-gauge Lycoming DA40 years after the plane was originally certified by Diamond -- via the use of Supplemental Type Certificates (STCs). Therefore information about these "add-ons" (even if originally installed by Diamond when the plane was new) is included only in Supplements that modify the AFM/POH.

It's really important that DA40 pilots become familiar with these Supplements.
Epic Aircraft E1000 GX
Former DA40XLS, DA42-VI, and DA62 owner
ATP, CFI, CFI-I, MEI
jprhode
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Jason
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: N62VV
Airports: KAUS

Post by jprhode »

My $0.02 is that it's at least as important to study the DPE as it is the airplane. They've all got their quirks.
Antoine
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Antoine
Aircraft Registration: N121AG
Airports: LSGG

Post by Antoine »

A generic set of suggestions Evan.
Examiners are pilots above all, so they are happy and proud to give a thumbs up to a decent candidate. Go to him with the right attitude - no need to be fearful, rather be curious about him, his experience.

This said, one needs to deserve their initial goodwill and I believe in small things that show the right attitude.

He will like to see you be prepared for mishaps and take responsibility.

Come up with a nice, well structured briefing
Verify things like aircraft docs
Give him a full safety briefing before boarding the plane as if he were a mere passenger.
Before applying power for take off, treat him to your take-off briefing in a calm and not hurried tone.

Before executing any maneuver he commands, remember that YOU must decide if it is safe and you must challenge the order if you have a reason to believe it isn't. I would expect at least one such order.
Also remember to check for traffic before any commanded turns. His instructions do not buy you priority.

Feel free to use "standby" in case he (deliberately) overwhelms you. Taking the time to regain composure is another sign of a PIC who is really in command. What he is testing in this scenario is your ability to deal with disruption from passengers.

As often as practical, demonstrate that your mind is ahead of the airplane and that the upcoming phase of flight is already happening in your head. Especially the landing.

And finally, make sure you are able to fly the plane in a relaxed and accurate way using the 3 backup instruments and the compass.

Wishing you success. Please report back.
CFIDave
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by CFIDave »

Don't forget to make "clearing turns" before each demonstrated maneuver. It's so easy to forget to do this in a DA20/40/42 because we all take for granted the unsurpassed visibility provided by a bubble canopy.

Having learned to fly in a DA20, it wasn't until I piloted a C172 that I understood why clearing turns are expected during the checkride: You can't see the runway when making a C172 downwind-to-base turn, so your vision during other maneuvers is similarly obstructed by the high wings. Given that DPEs tend to give most of their check rides in C172s, they will also expect to see multiple clearing turns in your aircraft.
Epic Aircraft E1000 GX
ATP, CFI, CFI-I, MEI
Don
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Don
Aircraft Registration: N623DS
Airports: KTOA

Post by Don »

Before entering the aircraft, brief the DE as follows:
"In the unlikely event of a off-field landing and the aircraft turns over, the forward canopy will not be able to open.
Therefore, to exit the plane, one must enter the backseat of the aircraft, release the red handle, (point to the release near the headliner) then release the bottom red door handle and kick out the back window door so top door hinges break away."
BTW, this is included in the standard briefing we give to all passengers before any flight as it truly could save one's life.
Diamond Star XLS, N623DS, SN40.1076
curts63
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Curt
Aircraft Registration: N215CS
Airports: 22N

Post by curts63 »

Ok, not to hijack the post, but to take it to the next level. I'm putting in my hours towards the Instrument check ride. I still need to take the written, but most of the flying requirements are complete. Besides the previous information as it relates to the PPL check ride, what are the things that I should be preparing for when I take the Instrument test? I have the G-1000 with the GFC-700 autopilot. What am I most likely to see the DPE put me through for the flying portion? What about typical oral questions?

Any advice or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Curt
ps- I was thinking of taking the DPE up in my flying toaster oven before summer ends, it might make for a very short test...kidding.
CFIDave
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by CFIDave »

Curt:
Be prepared to fly a VOR approach, ILS/LOC approach, and RNAV approach, with or without vertical guidance, and with or without using the autopilot. With your plane, make sure you know how VNAV works, as well as autoswitching of the HSI source from GPS to localizer on an ILS.

Before flying, discuss with the examiner how he/she intends to conduct "partial panel" testing of the G1000. DPEs are supposed to only dim one of the G1000 displays (so you can use reversionary mode to fly via the other screen), but a few still persist in pulling circuit breakers even though this is not recommended by any of the aircraft manufacturers.

For the oral, most examiners will ask you to plan an IFR flight to a particular destination prior to showing up, and then ask you to explain your decision-making process. But every examiner is different.
Epic Aircraft E1000 GX
ATP, CFI, CFI-I, MEI