5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Antoine
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N121AG
Airports: LSGG

Removing G1000 from a Da40?

Post by Antoine »

Call me crazy, but here is the thinking.

> I have 1'000 hours behind a G1000 with GFC 700 and I believe that this combo is inadequate for the DA40, especially so if the DA40 is used primarily in VFR.
My thesis is that its capability is not exercised enough to make up for the poor user interface and related learning curve and the massive upgradability issues and costs that have developed over the years.

As they say in England: "they have you on a barrel". Between Garmin and DAI, pick who's gonna let you down or **** you...

> There are a few DA40s with non WAAS non ADSB G1000s for sale.
Just bringing their avionics back to an OK level is a 50 AMU job - IF you find the WAAS capable G1000 stuff.

Idea: keep the airframe, ditch the G1000!

> Buy a non WAAS G1000-equipped DA40, strip the avionics out and sell the parts as spares.
> Design a new panel around:
- 1 x GTN 750
- 1 x NAVCOM (no GPS)
- 2 x G5
- 1 GTX345 transponder with bluetooth (iPad interface)
- Remote audio mixer
- A simple engine monitor
- Whatever autopilot upgrade can be approved.

AAAAND... a panel mounted iPad, which when connected to the certified GPS, acts as a very inexpensive MFD, displaying landing charts, SynVis and the like with a superior user interface.
That same iPad can be used to file FPs online from the aircraft, update weather data in the climb phase of the flight using an integrated 4G card.
With a small outlay it can also have all sorts of traffic sensing added.

What do you think about this?

When we redid my Extra 400's panel, the IA used the STC of the various avionics to sign off the project.
In the case of the DA40, I believe the G1000 install is an STC and I suppose the basic type certificate would be a suitable foundation for the "steam gauge starting point", and the respective STCs can be applied on top.
It may need a form 337 for the physical panel itself, but providing the engineering data for that should not be an issue.

The end result would be
- a WAAS/ADS-B in-out equipped plane (that is WITH Traffic info!)
- A fixed CG range and improved useful load (avionics rack in the tail gone)
- Great ergonomics
- Fantastic flexibility and upgradability
- Much lower foreseeable maintenance costs
- 2 years warranty on all avionics

At a price not much higher than the WAAS/ADSB job on the G1000.

I am dead serious about this. My GF wants to get her PPL and I am looking at buying a DA40 again :)

Comments and suggestions are very eagerly awaited! Thank you
Pilot55
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Bret
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N266ds
Airports:

Re: Removing G1000 from a Da40?

Post by Pilot55 »

I believe you can do that. My 2003 stem gauge now has aspen 2000 with SV garmin gdl 88 adsb in -out and waas 530/430. iam installing gtn750 and would love to replace the KAP 140. The auto pilot does a poor job on Rnav and ILS approaches but works great with the gpss in the Apen. We did use a 337 on the paper work with this setup.
Antoine
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by Antoine »

Thanks Bret. Can you post a picture? Did your Aspen perform reliably?
I have been told they overheat and fail frequently - is this no longer the case?
BRS
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Brock
Aircraft Registration: N8QQ
Airports: W52

Post by BRS »

Antoine,
I had posted a similar question some months back on the "old software thread". I even called Dynon whose skyview system has been STC'd (by EAA) for several aircraft. Dynon, btw, said that the DA40 is on the list but long down-the-road. The resale of a complete (or in parts) G1000 would possibly make a good dent in the cost of new equipment.

I've an experimental Glasair Sportsman with an AFS-5600 and Avidyne IFD-540. It flies circles around the non-waas G1K and is much nicer to use.

You are not crazy, you are a dreamer. I once dreamed of a supercharged DA40. :-)
40.649 Sold (Still miss the DA40 from time to time)
Fly and EAB Sportsman
Antoine
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by Antoine »

:) thanks Brock. Well you finally managed to make your dream come true and I think I can say the same about my Extra 400.
I wonder how much can be done on the avionics side of the DA40 - I still love the aircraft and in retrospect I realize how un-VFR the G1000 was ...
I hope more people contribute and I'd like to get a sense of the cost...
BRS
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member

Post by BRS »

My other dream (one of many actually) is a titanium landing gear for the DA40. There is an outfit in Seattle, I believe, that makes them for Cessna and others. Stronger and half the weight. Perhaps this should be a separate thread.
Fly and EAB Sportsman
Antoine
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by Antoine »

Wow!- lightweight DA40 LG.
I think the factory design is meant to be totally noob proof and nothing else.
Titanium is roughly same strength and half the weight. It would save between 25 and 30 lbs. Add Beringer Wheels and brakes...

Can you point me to the Seattle company?
My Extra 400's main landing gear weighs (guessing) 200 to 250 lbs and I could use some Ti there!

And talking about DA40 related dreams - did you or Rod ever do an adaption analysis of the different prop options at altitude for the supercharger?
I think the added power justifies re-doing the math and may warrant a change in prop size (or maybe a preferred prop choice) to optimize cruise performance? I think MT would be capable and willing to help...
And while they are at it they may inadvertently add prop heating...
TimS
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Timothy
Aircraft Registration: N1446C
Airports: 6B6 Stowe MA

Post by TimS »

Antoine,

If you are going to go through this headache. You may as well do it correctly.
Ditch the G5 and go with either Dynon Or the G3X. Both of which are from the experimental space and much cheaper, more capable and have been certified on selected hardware via STC,

Tim
arksat
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Tosh
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N00000
Airports: KHWD

Post by arksat »

Is this legally feasible? I've been thinking the same thing if our G1000 software situation won't be resolved, but my understanding is that G1000-equipped DA40's type certificate is bound with G1000, so ditching it will render the certification... I stand corrected (I hope to be corrected!)
BRS
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member

Post by BRS »

arksat wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 1:34 am Is this legally feasible? I've been thinking the same thing if our G1000 software situation won't be resolved, but my understanding is that G1000-equipped DA40's type certificate is bound with G1000, so ditching it will render the certification... I stand corrected (I hope to be corrected!)
From what I can tell in my logs from the factory is that the G1000 was installed as an STC. It's not mentioned on the TC
Fly and EAB Sportsman