3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Adam
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N269RB
Airports: KLDJ

Overly tight control levers!

Post by BkFlyer »

There was a lot of extra work completed during my annual this year, including adjustments that required taking apart the control assembly.

When I flew the the airplane after it was returned, I found that the control lever friction was dialed up to "superman" setting. It was enough that fine adjustments of the levers was nearly impossible chore. I can hear a very obvious metal-on-plastic squeaking noise when moving them. What to do? Obviously I start ratcheting the friction adjustment knob down. Alas, no change.

The knob is now unscrewed to the point where I can see that it is 1/4" from even touching the panel side... so clearly the friction is coming from something else. I believe that the control levers were assembled incorrectly. It looks to me like there are extra sets of white vinyl washers in between some of the levers which could potentially cause the rod assembly to be too tight. However, I can't confirm this without somebody else taking a look at their assembly.

I intend to bring the airplane back to the shop. However, it's kind of a pain to get to this particular shop, and I would like to have evidence of the error. There was never a problem with lever friction before in this airplane, and it would be the second time back for lever-related issues.

I was hoping that one of you would take a look at your control assembly and compare it to mine. The pictures shows were taken by laying an iPhone on top of the throttle/prop/mixture lever slots with the flash on. What do you think?
control-assembly.jpg
BRS
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Brock
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N8QQ
Airports: W52

Re: Overly tight control levers!

Post by BRS »

AMM 76.0.0 might help
Attachments
Screen Shot 2019-06-23 at 3.34.01 PM.png
40.649 Sold (Still miss the DA40 from time to time)
Fly and EAB Sportsman
smoss
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Steve
Airports: KVGT

Post by smoss »

Attached is a diagram from Diamond for how to add washers for an assembly that is too loose, but it shows a good blow-up of the actual arrangement of everything.
Attachments
DA40 throttle friction build up.pdf
(318.18 KiB) Downloaded 137 times
Steve
DA40 XL
BkFlyer
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Adam
Aircraft Registration: N269RB
Airports: KLDJ

Post by BkFlyer »

smoss wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 1:08 pm Attached is a diagram from Diamond for how to add washers for an assembly that is too loose, but it shows a good blow-up of the actual arrangement of everything.
That is fantastic! Thank you, much appreciated.
perossichi
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Peter
Aircraft Registration: N925RH
Airports: KVNY

Post by perossichi »

I also had a problem with too little throttle quadrant friction and had the quadrant repaired by addition of washers.