3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Sara
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: N687DA
Airports: KPAE

Re: Hangar Furniture

Post by BlueYonder »

The gentlemen in my life have been teasing me for putting a colorful rug and matching furniture in my hangar. They can all just shut up right now, because I'm obviously not the only one who is approaching this like furnishing a real room. Thanks for the backup. Your stuff looks really great, and you've built a very inviting place to spend time with your plane.

I especially like your tall cabinet. Much nicer-looking than the big Gorilla shelf I'm starting out with. Perhaps that will be my first upgrade.

I looked carefully at the condensation patterns on the concrete before putting anything down on it. There's been no evidence of seepage, leaking, or standing water; but condensation has formed in the past underneath previous tenants' furniture -- the patterns form distinct rectangles along the walls along the front edge of the hangar, within the first eight feet or so of the door. Since the water problem, to the extent that there is one, seems to be all up front, I set my workspace in a back corner that appears to have stayed entirely dry in the past.

The rug is mildew-resistant low-pile indoor-outdoor, with a thick rubber mesh pad under it to increase ventilation and keep the worst of the wet off the rug itself. Like yours, it's got bright colors (fresh Seattle blues and greens); but it was also dirt cheap, so f I lose it, I lose it. There's a small glass-white-and-silver desk I got at Costco, a handsome brushed nickel desk lamp, an Aeron-type office chair, a couple of modern patio chairs with a small table, a throw pillow, and a blanket -- a pleasant place for pax to wait or friends to hang while we're messing around with airplanes. Wall art, refrigerator, heater/fan, coffee pot, charging station with a million ports, bookshelf, tool shelf, and places to hang spare headsets, my bomber jacket, and my flying hat...

Will share pix when I get the whole space assembled.
perossichi wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 5:48 am Bought a really rundown hangar last fall here at KVNY. Spent much of holiday season patching and painting floor...

Congratulations on not having to put on and off covers which I did for years!
I got cabinets and rolling workbench from Amazon and some really nice and surprisingly cheap furniture from Wayfair and Macy’s.
The highest art form of all is a human being in control of himself and his airplane in flight, urging the spirit of a machine to match his own. -- Richard Bach
AndrewM
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Andrew
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N897KC
Airports:

Post by AndrewM »

The winch option works really well. Our hanger also is a very tight fit. We have painted lines for each wheel. Just hook up the winch, pull the tail down and line things up... takes less than a few minutes to get it into the hanger.
perossichi
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Peter
Aircraft Registration: N925RH
Airports: KVNY

Post by perossichi »

Sara

Glad to be of help re flak. Some of my neighbors even have bars in their hangars which is taking things a bit too far in my opinion.

Cabinet is called UltraHD stainless about $230 on Amazon. Comes in small package broken down which is very convenient.
Sold 2002. Powerflo, Hartzell composite two blade, 530W/430, 345 transponder.
Colin
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Colin
Aircraft Type: DA42
Aircraft Registration: N972RD
Airports: KFHR

Post by Colin »

I saw one setup where the DA40 owners put a dolly under the nose wheel so that when they winched it back the nose wheel didn't affect the steering.
Colin Summers, PP Multi-Engine IFR, ~3,000hrs
colin@mightycheese.com * send email rather than PM
http://www.flyingsummers.com
N972RD DA42 G1000 2.0 s/n 42.AC100 (sold!)
N971RD DA40 G1000 s/n 40.508 (traded)
LTek1
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Lee
Airports: KFCI

Post by LTek1 »

^^^^ Dolly is what I do. Then all I have to do is steer by pushing back and forth on the rudder.

These work nice. Buy a set, and give one to the next Diamond owner who sees your winch and wants one.

https://www.harborfreight.com/1000-lb-c ... 61283.html
Lee Dickinson
N282DS, 2003 DA40 at KOFP
Avidyne Entegra (!), Dual GNS430, KAP140
Don
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Don
Aircraft Registration: N623DS
Airports: KTOA

Post by Don »

It is nice to have some type of a lounge area with table and chairs. Also, small fridge, microwave and coffee maker if you are a coffee drinker.
Diamond Star XLS, N623DS, SN40.1076
CFIDave
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dave
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N333GX
Airports: KJYO Leesburg VA

Post by CFIDave »

I'm really envious of those of you who can put down a rug or have furniture in your hangar. My hangar unfortunately floods every time there's a heavy rainstorm, since the blacktop ramp outside the door is actually higher in elevation than the concrete hangar floor. So everything in the hangar has to have legs or be located up on something.

But I have to be very thankful that I have one of only 2 large T-hangars on the field with a 53 foot door, able to accommodate the 44 foot wingspan of a DA42, and now our 48 foot wide DA62. Not only that, but there are now more than 40 people on the hangar waitlist for about 40 town-owned T-hangars available for rent. The very expensive larger rectangular "corporate" hangars have a long waitlist, and the FBO has run out of room in their very large shared hangars.
Epic Aircraft E1000 GX
Former DA40XLS, DA42-VI, and DA62 owner
ATP, CFI, CFI-I, MEI
beetlebug
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: JC
Aircraft Registration: N1234567
Airports:

Post by beetlebug »

Or stated another way, the wait list at JYO is 5 years! Fortunately I put my name on all the local waitlists and just got a hangar at HEF after two years of waiting. Sadly it's an hour drive away compared to my current 5-10 minute drive to JYO.

So I'm envious of everyone that has a hangar at their "home" field. :D

The wait list is 73, by the way.