3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Don
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N418AM
Airports: 6D6

DA-40 Barrel roll

Post by 40flyer »

Has anyone tried or seen a video of a barrel roll in a DA-40? I know it’s not certified for aerobatics but given it’s a 1G maneuver I thought someone may have done it.
Steve
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Steve
Aircraft Registration: N432SC
Airports: 1T7

Re: DA-40 Barrel roll

Post by Steve »

I'm sure someone has done all kinds of maneuvers in a DA 40 for which it is not legally certified.

A utility category aircraft is certified for spins (if approved for plane), lazy eights, chandelles, and steep turns, or similar maneuvers, in which the angle of bank is more than 60 degrees but not more than 90 degrees. I'm fairly certain that your angle of bank in a barrel roll would exceed 90 degrees... :shock:

But, to answer your question directly, no, I haven't seen a video of that. There are some pretty neat videos on YouTube of a spin test series flown by Diamond test pilots in Austria, though. I like it because you can hear the stall horn, and see the control inputs as an inset:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQXLUaA3yo4

Steve
perossichi
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Peter
Aircraft Registration: N925RH
Airports: KVNY

Post by perossichi »

Check out the famous barrel roll done by Bob Hoover while pouring iced tea in a business aircraft.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=V9pvG_ZSnCc

Of course, this is the best pilot who ever lived and could control G forces perfectly.

He also would do an aileron roll on takeoff.

Ok, I’m not a god like him so no barrel rolls except in aerobatic aircraft.

P
Sold 2002. Powerflo, Hartzell composite two blade, 530W/430, 345 transponder.
Derek
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Derek
Aircraft Registration: CGPDN
Airports: CYTZ

Post by Derek »

Bob Hoover was one of the greatest pilots. I’m not sure he was better than Eric Brown, 1919 - 2016, though. Brown flew more aircraft types than anyone else ever, most in dangerous wartime conditions, and was the most decorated RAF pilot in history. No one will ever come close to his types record, which is an unusual thing in itself: to set a world record that will never be beat. He was the first to land and take off a jet engined aircraft on a carrier, and he has more landings and take offs from a carrier than anyone. His carrier was torpedoed and sunk during WW2 and he spent a night in the sea suffering hypothermia. He was the only survivor picked up the next day. He is a hero who wouldn’t die. He also headed a tiny force that landed at an operational German airfield that wouldn’t surrender, persuaded them to surrender to him, and took 2000 German military under his control until reinforcements arrived the next day. You can read about him in Wikipedia. Outstanding.
perossichi
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Peter
Aircraft Registration: N925RH
Airports: KVNY

Post by perossichi »

Indeed a great pilot.

I just love watching these old videos of Hoover’s graceful aerobatics. Watch him fly the p51 and the f86.

Pilots pilot.

It’s not really my opinion that Hoover was among the best if not the best. I’m relying on what the really top pilots said.

As a learn more flying I’ll come to appreciate even more how outstanding these pilots were.
Sold 2002. Powerflo, Hartzell composite two blade, 530W/430, 345 transponder.