Potential new DA 40 owner seeking input...

Any DA40 related topics

Moderators: Rick, Lance Murray

jboyd
1 Diamond Member
1 Diamond Member
First Name: Jim
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N6349C
Airports: KLXT

Potential new DA 40 owner seeking input...

Post by jboyd »

Looks like I'll be selling my first plane (non Diamond) in the next couple of weeks and thinking of getting in to a DA 40. I've searched through the site for maintenance issues and found the pre-buy post from back in 2012. Wondering if anyone has compiled all of the "gotchas" (other than ADs / SBs) into a list for a pre-buy or just a good annual check add on. Thanks in advance...
Rich
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rich
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N40XE
Airports: S39 Prineville OR

Re: Potential new DA 40 owner seeking input...

Post by Rich »

I doubt there is such a list but here are a few things that are not likely to be covered in a pre-buy or annual by a mechanic/AI and need to be done by you. (Most of this applies to any make/model of aircraft, not just Diamonds):
- Be sure the plane has all the various options you might value. Some stuff that became standard in later variants were not provided in the earlier models. They may or may not have been subsequently added to older ones.
- Do a weight and balance for the specific airframe you're considering against typical loads you expect to see. In particular note the aft CG limit for 50 gallon-equipped examples. Consider having it re-weighed by someone who knows what they're doing.
- The plane and its systems should be checked in flight to confirm they work. I know a guy who discovered the GNS530 was totally inop in the heat after picking his up.
- If ADS-B is not yet installed, make sure you know how you can get it installed, given the existing equipment. If it is, be sure it's what you want, particularly with regard to ADS-B IN.

For reference, the wiki shows the wide variation in some of the important variances in specific airframes. Unfortunately, there hasn't been much participation in adding to the information base. The page has some other interesting links which should be helpful:
https://www.diamondaviators.net/wiki/in ... /Main_Page
2002 DA40-180: MT, PowerFlow, 530W/430W, KAP140, ext. baggage, 1090 ES out, 2646 MTOW, 40gal., Surefly, Flightstream 210, Orion 600 LED, XeVision, Aspen E5
Boatguy
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Russ
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: N962M
Airports: KSTS

Post by Boatguy »

One "gotcha" widely discussed here is a pre-WAAS G1000 because there is no path to a WAAS panel. The DA40 is a great instrument training plane or "IMC light" plane (no de-icing) so I strongly urge buying a plane with G1000 with WAAS and GFC700. Others know better than I, but I think that means roughly 2007 forward.

There were several changes over the years to the main gear and MTOW so as Rich suggests, be sure and look at the specific W&B of the plane you are considering purchasing.
jboyd
1 Diamond Member
1 Diamond Member

Post by jboyd »

Gentlemen, thank you for your feedback. This is helpful. The W&B is a lighter issue as it will be just my wife and me but the WAAS comment is a major item. Based on listed prices I've found so far this may push me in to another platform- certainly disappointing... Thanks!
Gearle
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: George
Aircraft Registration: Private
Airports: KDWH

Post by Gearle »

jboyd wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 10:22 am Gentlemen, thank you for your feedback. This is helpful. The W&B is a lighter issue as it will be just my wife and me but the WAAS comment is a major item. Based on listed prices I've found so far this may push me in to another platform- certainly disappointing... Thanks!
hello Boyd, there are ADSB platforms that you can integrate beyond Garmin's products that will work with the installed Garmin equipment. don't let the electronics push you away from a very safe flying platform.

ask this question of FreeFlight Systems
o: 254.662.7038 | m: 254.292.8185
bbrunson@freeflightsystems.com
3700 Interstate 35 s | Waco, TX 76706

this is where i bought my FreeFlight RANGR.
Rich
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rich
Aircraft Registration: N40XE
Airports: S39 Prineville OR

Post by Rich »

Gearle wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:23 pm
jboyd wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 10:22 am Gentlemen, thank you for your feedback. This is helpful. The W&B is a lighter issue as it will be just my wife and me but the WAAS comment is a major item. Based on listed prices I've found so far this may push me in to another platform- certainly disappointing... Thanks!
hello Boyd, there are ADSB platforms that you can integrate beyond Garmin's products that will work with the installed Garmin equipment. don't let the electronics push you away from a very safe flying platform.

ask this question of FreeFlight Systems
o: 254.662.7038 | m: 254.292.8185
bbrunson@freeflightsystems.com
3700 Interstate 35 s | Waco, TX 76706

this is where i bought my FreeFlight RANGR.
I believe we're talking about lack of WAAS in its function of navigation enhancement (especially IFR) that's the obstacle here, not ADS-B.
2002 DA40-180: MT, PowerFlow, 530W/430W, KAP140, ext. baggage, 1090 ES out, 2646 MTOW, 40gal., Surefly, Flightstream 210, Orion 600 LED, XeVision, Aspen E5
jboyd
1 Diamond Member
1 Diamond Member

Post by jboyd »

Thank you for your post but Boatguy is correct- the WAAS issue is problematic.
Boatguy
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Russ
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: N962M
Airports: KSTS

Post by Boatguy »

I don't mean to rain on the parade, Gearle is right, the plane is great!

Further, this issue has been brought to the attention of the Diamond CEO and we're expecting to hear a response in the coming weeks that we hope will provide an upgrade path for Diamond's with the GIA63 to a GIA63W or GIA64W.
AndrewM
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Andrew
Aircraft Registration: N897KC
Airports:

Post by AndrewM »

On the topic of purchasing a DA40 WAAS vs non-WAAS... my first DA40 had WAAS, and that was nice. And while it does allow approaches to really low minimums coupled to the autopilot, in my view if the conditions are going to be like that, then I would question if you should be doing approaches in those conditions in a single engine, non-FIKI platform. If you get caught in a bind with low ceilings and a non-WAAS GPS approach cannot get you low enough, shoot an ILS, or divert to where there is one... or where there is better weather.

So my view is that in the non-WAAS is not big deal. And I would never pay the 30K upgrade. I think from memory of a prior post on a similar topic Colin upgraded from non-WAAS to WAAS... he may have an alternate view??

I think synthetic vision however is a real benefit...
Colin
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Colin
Aircraft Type: DA42
Aircraft Registration: N972RD
Airports: KFHR

Post by Colin »

I upgraded. There's *slight* question of whether having overall more accurate GPS position might be a slight safety improvement, but I did the upgrade in 2010 for $22,000 and I did *one* WAAS approach to minimums. Was it nice that one time? Yes, it would have been a three hour delay and a little hard on my little boys (and my host). Was it worth $22,000... hmm. Probably not. I imagine I got $10,000 more on the trade-in because of it, though. So one approach for $12,000... still seems high.

I'd say no.
Colin Summers, PP Multi-Engine IFR, ~3,000hrs
colin@mightycheese.com * send email rather than PM
http://www.flyingsummers.com
N972RD DA42 G1000 2.0 s/n 42.AC100 (sold!)
N971RD DA40 G1000 s/n 40.508 (traded)