1 Diamond Member
1 Diamond Member
First Name: Grant
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N333PU
Airports: KSPK

Just got my DA40! What should I do??

Post by grantcollard »

I just bought my first airplane today - a 2005 Diamond DA40. It's this little guy here - http://aircraft.steelaviation.com/aircr ... craft=2732

I started flying in January as a fulfillment of a lifelong dream. I finally convinced my wife to let me buy a plane, and DA40 seemed like a fantastic choice (also helped that I trained on Diamonds and loved them).

I couldn't be more excited. I feel like I'm a kid that just got his first bicycle for Christmas. We are flying the plane to Utah this weekend.

So, here's a few silly questions, if you don't mind:

(1) Does anyone have a good list of products they use for cleaning, waxing, and otherwise detailing the plane? I'm going to geek out quite a bit this weekend cleaning it and detailing it, and want to be prepared.
(2) What upgrades would you do? I need to do ADS-B. Does anyone have recommendations for specific hardware to use? Should I fly with an iPad? Kneeboard? Mount it somewhere? I think my G1000 is non-WAAS, should I do anything there?
(3) Anything else I should consider with my new toy? It's hot here right now - does anyone use those Artic ice-blowing machines to cool the cabin? Engine is low time, but seems like powerflow exhaust might be a good idea at some point?

I really appreciate any advice right now, or what you would have done right away when you first got your DA40 - I'm looking forward to being a part of this community.

Sincerely,

Grant
arksat
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Tosh
Aircraft Registration: N00000
Airports: KHWD

Re: Just got my DA40! What should I do??

Post by arksat »

Congrats Grant! And welcome to DAN.
My plane's serial number is right next to yours, so you are my close siblings :thumbsup:

For starters:
1) I am using Wash Wax All to clean the wing/fuselage and Plexus for the windshield. RejeX for waxing and coating. Klasse is also popular too. Those waxes don't contain silicones, which is important for the composite airframe.
I apply the wax for the entire airplane twice a year, and for the leading edge every 3 months, which helps easy removal of bugs.
Make sure to use a fine quality microfiber cleaning cloth, especially for the windshield.

2) For ADS-B, install GTX345R. That's virtually only option for 2005 non-waas G1000 DA40. Here is my report when I installed it. viewtopic.php?f=8&t=6226&p=69726#p69726

3) Since I didn't want to scratch the nose gear fairing with the tow bar, I got this protection film: https://www.aircraftpaintprotection.com/DA-40_c_24.html
This was helpful when I was not so used to ground handling of my airplane.

For hot Summer day, you may want to use sunshade like this: https://www.rosenvisor.com/store/p30/Cr ... O_Kit.html
You can buy cheaper one at Amazon or eBay.

GoPro would also be a good addition to capture your new adventures.
Enjoy your new toy!!
pietromarx
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Peter
Aircraft Registration: NZZZ
Airports: KWHP

Post by pietromarx »

Nice plane! I just looked at the sales listing and photos -- and you're right: it isn't a WAAS airplane. That said, so what? :) It will be great for getting into virtually everywhere you will want to go.

1. For cleaning, etc., Tosh is right on the money. Just make sure that the stuff you buy does not have silicone in it. Virtually everyone uses Plexus for the plexiglass and there are lots of stuff for everything else. I use the stuff recommended for sailplanes.

2. On ADS-B, the only real choice is the GTX-345R. It has a variety of good things about it, though people are not thrilled about the extra GPS antenna. If you have XM in your plane then you will want to get a combo antenna (less drilling, etc.).

3. WRT kneepads, etc., I use a plain old paper kneeboard for tracking IFR, etc. I have an LTE-version of the iPad 4 Mini for charts (Garmin Pilot or Foreflight, your choice). The iPad can connect to the GTX-345R via Bluetooth and you'll see traffic, weather, etc. on the apps. It is good for IFR and distracting passengers.

4. Powerflow is great. Adds a few knots, etc.

5. There is a supercharger kit out now ($31K) that gives much better altitude performance for the airplane, but I don't think there are very many mountains in Ohio (I'm in California).

6. Bruce's Covers is the place to go for canopy covers (for when you're overnighting somewhere). If you don't have a hanger then get the full set. It is impressive how well these things last and how much they protect the airplane.

The real thing is to get out and have fun. Take a long cross-country. Take a friend up to Maine, etc. Go explore the country. It is amazing how quickly you can leave a city behind for any of the 14,000 or so airports in North America at 170 MPH in a straight line.

Just be safe and enjoy!
grantcollard
1 Diamond Member
1 Diamond Member
First Name: Grant
Aircraft Registration: N333PU
Airports: KSPK

Post by grantcollard »

Thank you both so much. I'm based in Utah, so will definitely be doing some mountain flying soon! For the iPad, do you mount it somewhere, or on knee? What are best GoPro mount locations in your experience?
pietromarx
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
Aircraft Registration: NZZZ
Airports: KWHP

Post by pietromarx »

grantcollard wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 4:29 am Thank you both so much. I'm based in Utah, so will definitely be doing some mountain flying soon! For the iPad, do you mount it somewhere, or on knee? What are best GoPro mount locations in your experience?
I don't bother to mount the iPad, though others do. The "mini" fits well into the side pocket or the back pocket of the passenger's seat. I find the cockpit cluttered enough with the stick and so forth. My belief is that attention to the iPad should be similar to that of looking at a map -- secondary to outside and the PFD.

On the GoPro (and equivalents), they have suction cups for mounting on to the canopy if you want inside shots. There are also kits to mount them outside on the tie-down rings at the end of the wings. I personally prefer 360° cameras (such as the Samsung) which then allow you to capture whatever FOV you want (or to just use the whole thing). They work well in Youtube, etc.

If you're in Utah then you will want to take a look at the supercharger (when you are feeling flush!). The mountains are high, the air is hot, etc.
arksat
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Tosh
Aircraft Registration: N00000
Airports: KHWD

Post by arksat »

grantcollard wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 4:29 am For the iPad, do you mount it somewhere, or on knee? What are best GoPro mount locations in your experience?
I use ForeFlight on iPad mini with RAM X-grip mount attached to the left panel using one of the screw above the N-number placard.

As for the GoPro, I attached the mount in between the cabin lights, which is nice because the camera keeps stationary when you open the canopy. I don't use any suction cup on the windshield, because I'm afraid it would create a stain over time.

This picture should give you an idea of GoPro camera angle. BTW this is the final approach to Catalina Island (KAVX) in this Summer :thumbsup:
Attachments
IMG_1113.jpg
Boatguy
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Russ
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: N962M
Airports: KSTS

Post by Boatguy »

Congratulations!

I agree with Tosh:
Wash/wax all for daily cleaning
Plexus and microfiber cloth for the canopy
Bruce’s covers
Aircraft paint protection sheets for nose wheel, and I also applied to wing roots

I use Crazed pilot sunshades with a couple minor personal enhancements
I use an iPad mini with My Clip as a kneeboard with ForeFlight, GoodNotes and MiraCheck. A RAM mount to the inside of the canopy is another option as an AHRS backup rather than as a kneeboard.

I use a Milwaukee M12 inflator for the tires.

Mountain High oxygen with the boom canulas is an excellent solution.

Search on DAN and you’ll probably find one or more threads on any area of interest!

Most importantly, fly a lot!
perossichi
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
Aircraft Registration: N925RH
Airports: KVNY

Post by perossichi »

I use RAM mount for iPad mini to inside canopy.

I use a bkool portable cooler. I made a lithium pack from two motorcycle batteries to power. Two 8 pound bags of ice gives me about 1.5 hours of cooling in 95+ heat.

Powerflo is a great addition. My ceiling increased to about 18000.

Check this forum for “corked nose wheel” if you notice that to center ball in cruise you need to step on left rudder.

I reconditioned the leather seats and repaired a cut with a kit from Leatherworld technologies. This includes dye.

I use a U bolt to attach a tie down chain to tail.

Read Mike Busch’s Engines to learn how to manage your power plant and maintain it. Brutal lean on ground ops. LOP in cruise. In flight mag checks. How to use your engine monitor. You can upload and analyze your engine data at Savvy Aviation analysis web site for free. I use camguard and single weight oil W100.

I use a two part polish and coating called Wx block. Produces a beautiful result.

At the risk of generating controversy on this forum, I offer some flying tips
1. The plane slips very well. I use this a lot
2. I rarely use full flaps on landing just take off
3. Any runway of 5000 plus I don’t use flaps on take off unless density altitude is very high
4. I try to trim for a cruise climb of 90 knots. This gives 1000 fpm to 500 fpm depending on Density altitude.
5. I do not climb out at Vy, except on chkrides ;)
6. With low and huge wings, you get a great ground effect. I use this a lot to accelerate the plane on take offs.
7. In strong cross winds, I do not use any flaps and I use a higher approach speed.
8. If you can, take an emergency maneuver or unusual attitudes course.
Sold 2002. Powerflo, Hartzell composite two blade, 530W/430, 345 transponder.
Rich
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rich
Aircraft Registration: N40XE
Airports: S39 Prineville OR

Post by Rich »

The Powerflow is a great addition, almost a must-have, especially flying out of Utah. But there is a wrinkle regarding cost. The litany is that there are 4 possible propellers on DA40's:

1. MT 3 blade
2. Hartzell 2-blade aluminum prop which is not approved for use with the Powerflow
3. Hartzell 2-blade aluminum prop which is certified for use with the Powerflow
4. Hartzell 2-blade composite prop

If you have prop number 2 it would need to be changed out to one of the other 3 to add the Powerflow, doubling (or more) the cost of installation. If your prop is not aluminum you're golden. If it is, check your propeller log for the model and the Powerflow website for details and pricing. FWIW, props no. 1 and 4 are the lightest of the 4 and prop 3 is the heaviest - about 16 lb. more than both 1 and 4.

I converted to Powerflow many years ago. At low DA's it added 300-350 FPM to climb. My (old, slow) plane used to be right "on book" with respect to TAS vs. DA. Cruise TAS improvement over book since the conversion is around 5-6 knots at modest altitudes (6 K or so) and 10-11 knots at 12.5.

I have flown for years with an iPad mini and Foreflight mounted on the stick. I just converted to an iPad Pro 11, mounted differently. (See "iPad in DA40" thread in Diamond Gadgets & Extras.) Having GNS nav units, this is my only option for complete maps, approach plates, etc.
2002 DA40-180: MT, PowerFlow, 530W/430W, KAP140, ext. baggage, 1090 ES out, 2646 MTOW, 40gal., Surefly, Flightstream 210, Orion 600 LED, XeVision, Aspen E5
Rich
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rich
Aircraft Registration: N40XE
Airports: S39 Prineville OR

Post by Rich »

In my case the iPad is an important part of my information scan and can rank equally with flight instruments and the outside view, depending on the phase of flight and external conditions. That's because it presents traffic (in plan and profile view), synth vision, weather (including radar returns, METARs, MOS, etc.), TFR's updated essentially in real time, approach plates (with moving map), terrain/obstacles, and even is my current backup AI. It also gives me all sorts of audible and visible alerts. Given the limitations of the GNS units, it's a major assist in information availability.

With a G1000 some of these things are available on those screens, but some are not and some are dependent on what you have hooked up to it.

Mounted such that the sun does not shine directly on the screen, it never has overheated. It is also plugged into ship's power, as is the Stratus that feeds it. Loss of ship's power puts it (and the Stratus) on battery, which will easily outlast the fuel I can carry. It's important to mount it so that it does not interfere with control movement or access to switches, throttle, etc. nor block visibility of, and access to, the "real" instruments and avionics.
2002 DA40-180: MT, PowerFlow, 530W/430W, KAP140, ext. baggage, 1090 ES out, 2646 MTOW, 40gal., Surefly, Flightstream 210, Orion 600 LED, XeVision, Aspen E5