3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Peter
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N329DS
Airports: KBUY

Re: What tug to get?

Post by Pbwears1 »

I recently bought an Aero-Tow (aerotow@aol.com) The guy makes them himself and I like it alot. Not a Best Tug , but....
dmloftus
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: David
Aircraft Registration: N868US
Airports: KLZU

Post by dmloftus »

Pbwears1 wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 7:47 pm I recently bought an Aero-Tow (aerotow@aol.com) The guy makes them himself and I like it alot. Not a Best Tug , but....
Peter - which Aerotow did you buy, the E200 or Lil Sherman? I just bought a used Lil Sherman and I'm waiting for DA40 adapters from Aerotow. Would appreciate any tips you have. Thanks
perossichi
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
Aircraft Registration: N925RH
Airports: KVNY

Post by perossichi »

I used Draggers Nosedragger NDE-1. I got mine as a demonstrator for $1800. I think it sells for $2,195. Adapts to any nosewheel plane and pulls up to 5000 pounds. All electric. Can tug with wheel fairing on. This tug cradles the nose wheel and does not attach at the tow bar fitting. You just adjust width for your nosewheel.

Very easy to maneuver due to differential drive. Given the high weight rating this will pull pretty much tug any single.

https://dragger.com/product/nose-dragg ... ferential/
Sold 2002. Powerflo, Hartzell composite two blade, 530W/430, 345 transponder.
Lou
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Louis
Aircraft Registration: CGXLO
Airports: CZVL

Post by Lou »

I bought an old garden tractor for C$600, put a hitch on the front and use a Brackett tow bar. Works well.
Charles K
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Charles
Aircraft Registration: N5WU
Airports: KCCR

Post by Charles K »

You know that is a great idea - I may do something similar if my tug gets to the point where it is no longer usable.
Charles
KCCR Based
N5WU - 2004 G1000 DA40 40.400, GTX345R ADS-B, WAAS Upgraded in 2021 via Diamond Upgrade Program
IFR and ME Rated - Advanced Ground Instructor Rated
dmloftus
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member

Post by dmloftus »

Recently I bought a used Aerotow Lil' Sherman from another pilot at KLZU. This is an incredible machine! Other tugs, including Best Tugs, have difficulty with the inclined ramp, sewer grate, lip, and door tracks, but this machine is an absolute beast. Pushes the plane right in with ease. As you can see from pictures below, I usually use plywood slats to ease the transitions. The transmission on the Lil' Sherman is the best I've seen. Extremely smooth and easy to operate - a few taps on the button for small adjustments, holding buttons down for smooth gradual acceleration and faster movement for distances.
The machine was set up for the prior owner's Beechcraft Bonanza, but the Aerotow owner Terry was extremely helpful assisting with modifications for my DA40. Very secure fit on the nose gear with fairing. I highly recommend this company and this machine!
IMG_6037.jpg
IMG_6036.jpg
Rich
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rich
Aircraft Registration: N40XE
Airports: S39 Prineville OR

Post by Rich »

I discovered something interesting today. I use a PowerTow. When pushing the plane back into the hangar I have been finding I needed to make constant adjustments to keep it going more-or-less straight into position in the hangar. Today I moved to a different, newer hangar (Southern exposure, motor-driven doors, somewhat larger and various other goodies). When I pushed the plane into this hangar I was amazed that it went right where I wanted it. No muss, no fuss. :D

The reason is the quality of the pavement leading to the hangar itself. The approach to this hangar lacks the various dips, cracks and general unevenness of my previous hangar, in which the plane's axis would constantly be shuffling up, down, left, and right. The nosewheel would be reacting to these irregularities, but independently from the influence of the main wheels, since at any given instant it had different dips and whatnot. In some ways it was like pushing a rope.
2002 DA40-180: MT, PowerFlow, 530W/430W, KAP140, ext. baggage, 1090 ES out, 2646 MTOW, 40gal., Surefly, Flightstream 210, Orion 600 LED, XeVision, Aspen E5
dmloftus
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member

Post by dmloftus »

Rich wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 1:01 am

The reason is the quality of the pavement leading to the hangar itself. The approach to this hangar lacks the various dips, cracks and general unevenness of my previous hangar, in which the plane's axis would constantly be shuffling up, down, left, and right. The nosewheel would be reacting to these irregularities, but independently from the influence of the main wheels, since at any given instant it had different dips and whatnot. In some ways it was like pushing a rope.
Wish I could say the same :roll: Mine requires constant adjustment with all the obstacles.
wmbjenkins
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: William
Aircraft Registration: N379DS
Airports: KFDW KSGJ

Post by wmbjenkins »

Lou wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 1:01 pm I bought an old garden tractor for C$600, put a hitch on the front and use a Brackett tow bar. Works well.
I have been considering this as an option for my 2008 40XLS. Could you post a picture of your setup? Sounds like a great approach. Thanks!
Pbwears1
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
Aircraft Registration: N329DS
Airports: KBUY

Post by Pbwears1 »

About a year ago I bought an electric tug for my 2012 DA40 from aerotow@aol.com, Terry Railing 920-648-8114. Very well built....he make them in his garage.