DA40 without vs with A/C - different checkout??

Any DA40 related topics

Moderators: Rick, Lance Murray

Blatham62
1 Diamond Member
1 Diamond Member
First Name: Bob
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N349AF
Airports: KSDL

DA40 without vs with A/C - different checkout??

Post by Blatham62 »

Got checked out in a DA40 (without air conditioning) in Houston so that I could use OpenAirplane (seems most people have never heard of them anymore) to rent one out of Scottsdale (with air conditioning) . That process hasn’t gone smoothly, but I digress. The FBO in SDL was questioning if I’d need to have a separate check ride for the one with A/C due to some kind of modifications to the wing or something or other, she wasn’t real sure.

I find this very hard to believe. Anyone here with actual knowledge of this topic?
midlifeflyer
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Mark
Aircraft Registration: N226PA
Airports: KTTA

Re: DA40 without vs with A/C - different checkout??

Post by midlifeflyer »

I would expect there to be some minor procedural or performance changes reflected in the AFM Supplement for the system. I would think a ground session would be sufficient to review them but I don't make policy for OpenAirplane or any of its member FBOs.

Not OpenAirplane, but I've seen something similar when FIKI is added to an airplane. Additional checkout to cover use of the system.
Scottsware
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Scott
Aircraft Registration: N343SG
Airports: KAPA

Post by Scottsware »

I have a DA40 with the Cabin Cool from Premiere. The only difference is you must turn off the A/C for takeoff and landing. You should't need a different checkout but rather a different checklist. :thumbsup:

Scott
gordsh
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Shawn
Aircraft Registration: CCCCC
Airports:

Post by gordsh »

My DA40 has Cabin Cool and there is no separate check out for flying it compared to a non AC equipped DA40.

As Scott mentioned you are supposed to turn of the A/C for take off and landing and as I have been upgraded to the new controller unit the procedure has now changed to turning off the compressor by clicking the compressor button....

The DA40 NG as I understand has an electric compressor and so there is no need to turn off the unit for take offs and landings.
A Dopo
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Juan
Aircraft Type: DA40NG
Aircraft Registration: N195DA
Airports: KCEU

Post by A Dopo »

gordsh wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 1:01 am My DA40 has Cabin Cool and there is no separate check out for flying it compared to a non AC equipped DA40.

As Scott mentioned you are supposed to turn of the A/C for take off and landing and as I have been upgraded to the new controller unit the procedure has now changed to turning off the compressor by clicking the compressor button....

The DA40 NG as I understand has an electric compressor and so there is no need to turn off the unit for take offs and landings.
True, our new NG is electric. But I will tell you it helps, but marginally at best. We puchased jetshades. You will need these too. I thought they were goofy at first, but now we could not live without them. I'll see if I can get some better pictures. And yes, they are overpriced at about 1400 or so bucks. And they send you this really stupid carrying case that makes no sense as it looks like a pizza warmer and the shades will not fit in it?! :shock: Note that you can see the outline of them in the window, and the back is blacked out looking. But inside you can see out well, it is not so blacked out. https://jet-shades.com/shop/propeller/j ... nd-da4042/
Attachments
DSC_0916.JPG
DSC_0904.JPG
A Dopo
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member

Post by A Dopo »

Here are the shades installed. You just sort of force them in the back and use suction cups on the front.
Attachments
20190701_094621.jpg
20190701_094629.jpg
chili4way
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Paul
Aircraft Registration: N718NG
Airports: KADS

Post by chili4way »

Juan, which version of the Jet Shades did you purchase, the regular or 'premium'?
A Dopo
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member

Post by A Dopo »

Regular. I think the premium might be too dark. These do well but for the front middle piece that wants to fall. I think they have developed some sort of glue in fastener but you will not find me gluing anything goofy to the canopy. I'm going to look for a different kind of suction cup.
blsewardjr
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Bernie
Aircraft Registration: N377DS
Airports: KCHO

Post by blsewardjr »

My Jet Shades contained some Velcro alternatives to the suction cups. After trying the dark front middle piece I went with the regular as well. I passed on the rear shades in the back.
Bernie Seward, IR, AGI
2003 DA40 N377DS
KCHO Charlottesville, VA
Ultrapilot1
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Steven
Aircraft Registration: N446SB
Airports: KPIE KTHA

Post by Ultrapilot1 »

I use some cheap Walmart screens but after a 7000 mile trip last summer around the USA I found crazing on my canopy where the suction cups were used. So I changed to "slap-on" style. Just a head's up!