4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Louis
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: CGXLO
Airports: CZVL

Re: Wingtip repair

Post by Lou »

When I repaired a scrape on my wingtip, Diamond was very helpful on the paint specification for an exact match.
waynemcc999
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Wayne
Aircraft Registration: N211WP
Airports: KSBA

Post by waynemcc999 »

Lou wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 12:08 am When I repaired a scrape on my wingtip, Diamond was very helpful on the paint specification for an exact match.
Louis, can you share with us here the exact/complete specification??
Thanks,
Wayne
Wayne McClelland
PPL/IR, 2008 Diamond Star DA40-XLS 40.922, KSBA
Photo logs of PilotsNPaws | Flying Doctors | Angel Flight | YouTube @GeezerGeekPilot
gordsh
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Shawn
Aircraft Registration: CCCCC
Airports:

Post by gordsh »

40flyer wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 10:05 pm An update on my wingtip. The shop I sent it to was going to have to spend a chunk of change to acquire some of the material but they tracked down a shop, XU Aviation, near the Diamond facility in London, who specializes in these repairs. They are going to do a 3-day turn and at far less than cost of a new wingtip. Note that the new part is about $1750 from Diamond but has to be built from scratch once they get the materials. And it could be 3 weeks or more to get it from them once the order is placed. I don’t want to be AOG that long.
I use XU Aviation all the time.

Jeff and his team will do a great job for you. They repaired my nose wheel pant a while back and even restriped it with the decals
Lou
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Louis
Aircraft Registration: CGXLO
Airports: CZVL

Post by Lou »

Sorry, I should have included this with the first post :oops: Here is the info I received from Diamond concerning my wingtip scrape:

"Hello, below are the items we use for the aircraft. Paint is a polyurethane base. The small area requiring paint, you could have a panel color matched for the application. Anti static primer is not mandatory for replacement due to the location and small size of the damage. Fillers can be any high quality automotive product as long as they do not contain silicone or teflon. Please let me know if you have any questions.
image003.png
image003.png (7.62 KiB) Viewed 1170 times
image002.png
image002.png (9.32 KiB) Viewed 1170 times
image001.png
image001.png (7.79 KiB) Viewed 1170 times
"

Hope this helps

Lou
40flyer
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Don
Aircraft Registration: N418AM
Airports: 6D6

Post by 40flyer »

In conclusion, XU-Aviation determined cost of repair was equal to or greater than price of a spare they had in house. They painted the spare to match and I should receive tomorrow If it clears customs ok.