4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Brock
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N8QQ
Airports: W52

Cooling: Arizona Baffle

Post by BRS »

There have been several threads that mention the Arizona Baffle but not very many pictures. Thought I'd start a specific thread with some new pics plus ask a question or two. This came about yesterday as I was visiting with a fellow DA40 owner (2002 model) who had purchased the Arizona baffle from Diamond. His shop looked at the baffle and looked at the plane and said they look the same. So the shop did not install the baffle.

Q. Does the original baffle and the Arizona Baffle look very similar?
Uninstalled AZ-Baffle from the rear
Uninstalled AZ-Baffle from the rear
Uninstalled AZ-Baffle front view
Uninstalled AZ-Baffle front view
Installed AZ-Baffle.  Pic borrowed from Steve's thread CHT Again.  Thanks :-)
Installed AZ-Baffle. Pic borrowed from Steve's thread CHT Again. Thanks :-)
I'm very curious about this last pic which shows the current front right cowl inlet. This does not look like (disregard the paint) any I've seen and my plane is out of town so I can't go look at it. There is 3/8" to 1/2" lip where my finger is which really could be opened up.

Q. Could it be that the AZ baffle was installed but the opening not properly cared for?
-Can someone add a pic here of their opening (AZ Baffle) for comparison?
This is the current opening.  Seems it could certainly be opened up about 3/8" as the hole is much smaller than where the seal touches.
This is the current opening. Seems it could certainly be opened up about 3/8" as the hole is much smaller than where the seal touches.
40.649 Sold (Still miss the DA40 from time to time)
Fly and EAB Sportsman
Rich
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rich
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N40XE
Airports: S39 Prineville OR

Re: Cooling: Arizona Baffle

Post by Rich »

Here's a picture of mine. The opening is about 25% larger in diameter than original, which yields a 56% increase in opening area. The picture you show is a substandard installation.
AZ Baffle.jpg
2002 DA40-180: MT, PowerFlow, 530W/430W, KAP140, ext. baggage, 1090 ES out, 2646 MTOW, 40gal., Surefly, Flightstream 210, Orion 600 LED, XeVision, Aspen E5
Steve
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Steve
Aircraft Registration: N432SC
Airports: 1T7

Post by Steve »

I agree with Rich. That opening was done... poorly.

According to the engineering drawing for the Arizona baffle, the cowl opening should be enlarged to a circular opening with a diameter of 102 mm +/-2 mm (so, basically 4 inches in diameter).

Steve
Rich
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rich
Aircraft Registration: N40XE
Airports: S39 Prineville OR

Post by Rich »

This installation looks really botched. It appears to leave a gap above the baffle intake allowing air to escape outside the baffle altogether. It'd be interesting to know just who did the installation. These were generally field installations in the 2002 models.
2002 DA40-180: MT, PowerFlow, 530W/430W, KAP140, ext. baggage, 1090 ES out, 2646 MTOW, 40gal., Surefly, Flightstream 210, Orion 600 LED, XeVision, Aspen E5