3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Bryan
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N387DS
Airports: KLEX

GTX345r Bluetooth intermittent

Post by ZAV »

GTX345r was installed 2yrs ago. Bluetooth reception has always been reliable to my iPad in the pilot’s seat. Annual inspection and 2 yr IFR pitot/static check done last month.

Since the maintenance, the GTX345r disconnects from the iPad frequently during flight. I’ve had to resort to my backup stratus since it’s been so unreliable.

I’ve seen posts where people have had Bluetooth reception issues but I have not had a single disconnect until after the annual. No other changes, same iPad, no new cargo in the back.

Before I have the avionics guys look at it...any thoughts on what I should have them look for?
Tim H
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Tim
Aircraft Registration: N233MA
Airports: KMGY

Re: GTX345r Bluetooth intermittent

Post by Tim H »

You might try deleting the GTX345 bluetooth connection from your iPad and re-installing. This has worked for me in the past on my Android tablet.
BRS
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Brock
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N8QQ
Airports: W52

Post by BRS »

Do you have anything in your baggage area that you didn't before?
Did you try the passive BT extension antenna?
40.649 Sold (Still miss the DA40 from time to time)
Fly and EAB Sportsman
Rich
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rich
Aircraft Registration: N40XE
Airports: S39 Prineville OR

Post by Rich »

BT remains a flaky technology, especially for more involved protocols beyond simple voice/sound linkage. Doing a re-pair is definitely worth a try. I have an interesting challenge keeping my iPhone and Garmin Zumo linked up. Over time each gets software upgrades and the trick to getting them connected changes over time. Works fine for months and suddenly I need to find the new formula.
2002 DA40-180: MT, PowerFlow, 530W/430W, KAP140, ext. baggage, 1090 ES out, 2646 MTOW, 40gal., Surefly, Flightstream 210, Orion 600 LED, XeVision, Aspen E5
40flyer
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Don
Aircraft Registration: N418AM
Airports: 6D6

Post by 40flyer »

My bluetooth was very unreliable on first 345R install. Eventually had to add a Flightstream 210 to fix the problem. The antenna is on top of the 345 module and broadcasts up better than forward. Be sure that during the annual nothing was moved above or forward of it in the cargo area. Read the other posts about an extended antenna hack as that’s much cheaper than a 210 install.
ZAV
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Bryan
Aircraft Registration: N387DS
Airports: KLEX

Post by ZAV »

Follow up on this issue.

Tracked the intermittent Bluetooth connectivity down to one of the recent iOS updates. Apparently, this was an issue with a number of products. Car Bluetooth systems also had issues related to this. The recent iOS updates have corrected this. I haven’t had any strange disconnects from the GTX345 since the recent iOS update.
Steve
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Steve
Aircraft Registration: N432SC
Airports: 1T7

Post by Steve »

I haven't had any issues with Bluetooth connectivity, but the WiFi between my Scout ADS-B in receiver and my iPad will occasionally drop out without any warning. All I have to do is reselect the Scout on the iPad and it reconnects and will it be fine for several more flights. Not a big deal, but slightly annoying.