4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Peter
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: NZZZ
Airports: KWHP

Re: ADSB upgrade issues....

Post by pietromarx »

Colin is absolutely right: the Pitot Off caution has been there since the earliest days of the G1000.

On the traffic side, strange you don't have a traffic page. Your installation wasn't finished correctly. Even without audio you should have traffic available to you on all of the map modes. This is a G1000 configuration page setup (best case) or the lack of a correct input from the GTX-345R (worst case). I would guess the latter since your folks didn't know to pull a wire for audio?
BRS
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Brock
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N8QQ
Airports: W52

Post by BRS »

Roxi5m9 wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 2:37 am Sounds like what they did for me. I have yet to experiment with mine as well. Would enjoy hearing any issues or lessons learned from you as you get to know your system.
Nick,
I flew some today and played with the ADS-B. Traffic shows up with N-numbers and Altitudes on the dedicated G1000 traffic screen. Traffic shows up on the Map but without altitudes which would be nice. I found myself switching to the traffic page then back just to see the altitude difference. What a bother.
40.649 Sold (Still miss the DA40 from time to time)
Fly and EAB Sportsman
Rich
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rich
Aircraft Registration: N40XE
Airports: S39 Prineville OR

Post by Rich »

The pitot light is on whenever there is no current to the pitot heater. This is a long known behavior and will often happen when the pitot heat is switched on when stationary on the ground.
2002 DA40-180: MT, PowerFlow, 530W/430W, KAP140, ext. baggage, 1090 ES out, 2646 MTOW, 40gal., Surefly, Flightstream 210, Orion 600 LED, XeVision, Aspen E5
Roxi5m9
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Nick
Aircraft Registration: N597RA
Airports: 5M9

Re: ADSB upgrade issues.

Post by Roxi5m9 »

Thanks for all the feedback!

There is clearly something wrong with the traffic page missing issue, but I’m surprised about the Pitot message. I completely agree with Colin, it should come on at a certain temp. What’s really interesting is why that message hasn’t ever been up on my PFD for the last two years since I’ve purchased the plane. I find the caution message sitting there all the time to be a pretty big nuisance. Caution and warning messages should be ABNORMALITIES, not a constant presence. In the airline world we specifically avoid things like this because it trains you to look past something that should gain your attention. It seems like either Garmin or Diamond didn’t think that one through, or there is a setting in the system we are all unaware of that a Garmin service center can adjust so it’s not always present in the off position.

Hopefully Wednesday my local shop will be plugging in to the system to make some corrections and I’ll let you know what I find.
N597RA 40.444
‘04 DA40-180
ATP, CFI
5M9, Marion, KY
blsewardjr
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Bernie
Aircraft Registration: N377DS
Airports: KCHO

Post by blsewardjr »

On my G530W altitude differences for the ADSB traffic on the Map page (but not the targets) disappear after the map scale gets to next scale greater than 20nm.
Bernie Seward, IR, AGI
2003 DA40 N377DS
KCHO Charlottesville, VA
Don
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Don
Aircraft Registration: N623DS
Airports: KTOA

Post by Don »

Hi all,

Does anyone have the link so I can download the DA40 G1000 wiring diagram? My plane is going into the shop next week for the GTX 345-R transponder. I also have the Avidyne TAS 600 if that changes anything. If you have the link it would be much appreciated.

Thanks.
Don
Diamond Star XLS, N623DS, SN40.1076
pietromarx
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Peter
Aircraft Registration: NZZZ
Airports: KWHP

Post by pietromarx »

It is all in the GTX-345R installation manual. You can find it on the Internets and your dealer will have it. From the POV of the G1000 the box replaces both the transponder and the TAS as it integrates both into a single input into the GIAs and audio.

Your install is fairly simple as there is already audio going from the back to the front. It will simple be a lift out the old transponder, wire in the new wiring harness for the GTX per the installation, add in or replace existing GPS antenna (depending upon whether you have XM Radio) and then off you go. The inputs into the GTX are the GPS and TAS. The outputs are to the G1000 and audio. The software is installed independently into the GTX and your G1000 will "see" the new box as being a GDL-90 as it operates under an emulation mode (until new software comes out).
CFIDave
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dave
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N333GX
Airports: KJYO Leesburg VA

Post by CFIDave »

Don wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 2:50 am Hi all,

Does anyone have the link so I can download the DA40 G1000 wiring diagram? My plane is going into the shop next week for the GTX 345-R transponder. I also have the Avidyne TAS 600 if that changes anything. If you have the link it would be much appreciated.

Thanks.
Don
Don: Here is the link to the Lycoming DA40 Aircraft Maintenance Manual (AMM) that includes all of the wiring diagrams at the end of the PDF document. Included is 8 pages of DA40 G1000 wiring diagrams that include the GFC700 autopilot and TAS600:

http://support.diamond-air.at/fileadmin ... mplete.pdf
Epic Aircraft E1000 GX
Former DA40XLS, DA42-VI, and DA62 owner
ATP, CFI, CFI-I, MEI
Rich
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rich
Aircraft Registration: N40XE
Airports: S39 Prineville OR

Post by Rich »

CFIDave wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 8:50 pm
Don wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 2:50 am Hi all,

Thanks.
Don
Don: Here is the link to the Lycoming DA40 Aircraft Maintenance Manual (AMM) that includes all of the wiring diagrams at the end of the PDF document. Included is 8 pages of DA40 G1000 wiring diagrams that include the GFC700 autopilot and TAS600:

http://support.diamond-air.at/fileadmin ... mplete.pdf
These cover a lot of variants of options and engines and such. I found it useful to pick out the diagrams relevant to my plane and print out paper copies of those pages, along with the guide at the front of the section. Otherwise I wind up paging through lots of diagrams irrelevant to me every time I want to check something out. Also, the latest "Adobe Acrobat Reader DC" is much more efficient paging through these scanned-in diagrams.
2002 DA40-180: MT, PowerFlow, 530W/430W, KAP140, ext. baggage, 1090 ES out, 2646 MTOW, 40gal., Surefly, Flightstream 210, Orion 600 LED, XeVision, Aspen E5
MarkA
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Mark
Aircraft Registration: N123MZ
Airports: KHIO

Post by MarkA »

I just had the ADS-B upgrade done on my 2010 DA40 XLS at Aerial Avionics at Reid-Hillview (KRHV) airport last week in San Jose. This plane had G1000 version 0321.22 software installed and includes the WAAS, Synthetic Vision, TAWS, XM weather, and Avidyne active traffic options.

The upgrade involved:
  • Removing the existing GTX-33 transponder
  • Installing a GTX-345R WAAS (the WAAS version is needed since the G1000 software doesn’t allow it to be a GTX-345R GPS source)
  • Replacing the GA-55 XM antenna inside the tail with a GA-37 GPS/SiriusXM combo antenna - no composite work is required to install another external GPS antenna
  • Building and installing a new wiring harness to connect the G1000, GTX-345R, and Avidyne so all the data and audio signals work correctly - no new wire runs were required to the front panel
  • Upgrading the G1000 software to the latest version 0321.23
Version 0321.23 allows the weather source to be selected on the MFD (either SiriusXM or ADS-B) and displays merged ADS-B and Avidyne traffic and audio alerts from the GTX-345R.

I had previously installed the “DYI Bluetooth signal extender” described in another thread to make sure a Garmin Pilot tablet would reliably connect to the GTX-345R. The parts list from Amazon.com used for this is as follows:
No airframe penetrations or modes were required using the approach BkFlyer described since there is a gap large enough to pull the antenna cable from the storage bin to the GTX-345R. The antenna cable is just zip tied to the G1000 card cage then attached right above the GTX-345R Bluetooth antenna with Velcro so it can easily be removed.

I dropped the plane off last Monday afternoon and picked it up at noon on Friday for a test flight around the Bay Area class B airspace to get ADS-B performance report. Everything worked great first time including the Bluetooth connection to the Garmin Pilot tablet. I'm really happy... :)!

If you are looking for a shop to do the ADS-B upgrade and are anywhere near the west coast, you might want to give Adam at Aerial Avionics (http://www.aerialavionics.com/contact.html) a call.
2010 DA40 XLS, N123MZ, KHIO
https://youtu.be/LuQr6mGxffg