3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Nick
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N597RA
Airports: 5M9

Re: ADSB upgrade issues....

Post by Roxi5m9 »

Latest update. After playing with the plane a bunch, a little research and a visit to the shop, everything seems to be working. Regarding missing the traffic page and not seeing any traffic, the avionics installer had to go into their level of settings and basically select an option to display traffic and the map-traffic screen. Now everything is fine, but now sure how they didn’t check for this during the install. It’s kind of a big deal. Lol.

The only issue I have now is, very randomly and intermittently, while taxiing on the ground in a turn, I will get a low level caution on the left or right tank, even when the tanks have 15 plus gallons of fuel each. This seems to have sprung up with the updated G1000 software install that occurred during my transponder install. Is this something you guys see? I’ve witnessed it a couple times on either tank.

Thanks guys.
N597RA 40.444
‘04 DA40-180
ATP, CFI
5M9, Marion, KY
Steve
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Steve
Aircraft Registration: N432SC
Airports: 1T7

Post by Steve »

Roxi5m9 wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 3:00 pmThe only issue I have now is, very randomly and intermittently, while taxiing on the ground in a turn, I will get a low level caution on the left or right tank, even when the tanks have 15 plus gallons of fuel each. This seems to have sprung up with the updated G1000 software install that occurred during my transponder install. Is this something you guys see? I’ve witnessed it a couple times on either tank.

Thanks guys.
Nick:

I don't have the G1000, but when I am parked on a slope, the Low Fuel annunciator on the downhill side will illuminate if I have less than around 8-9 gallons in that tank. The VM-1000 fuel level is still accurate, just the Low Fuel annunciator illuminates. It extinguishes as soon as I begin taxi, and the airframe levels out.

Steve
CFIDave
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dave
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N333GX
Airports: KJYO Leesburg VA

Post by CFIDave »

Roxi5m9 wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 3:00 pmThe only issue I have now is, very randomly and intermittently, while taxiing on the ground in a turn, I will get a low level caution on the left or right tank, even when the tanks have 15 plus gallons of fuel each. This seems to have sprung up with the updated G1000 software install that occurred during my transponder install. Is this something you guys see? I’ve witnessed it a couple times on either tank.
It sounds like during the G1000 software install, the technician may have accidentally caused the fuel gauge levels to be re-set -- something to be avoided. There's a procedure in the G1000 maintenance manual for re-calibrating the fuel gauges.
Epic Aircraft E1000 GX
Former DA40XLS, DA42-VI, and DA62 owner
ATP, CFI, CFI-I, MEI
Rich
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rich
Aircraft Registration: N40XE
Airports: S39 Prineville OR

Post by Rich »

CFIDave wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 3:17 pm
It sounds like during the G1000 software install, the technician may have accidentally caused the fuel gauge levels to be re-set -- something to be avoided. There's a procedure in the G1000 maintenance manual for re-calibrating the fuel gauges.
I don't know about the G1000 installation, but on the VM1000 setups, lo fuel is a separate sensor from the quantity probes.
2002 DA40-180: MT, PowerFlow, 530W/430W, KAP140, ext. baggage, 1090 ES out, 2646 MTOW, 40gal., Surefly, Flightstream 210, Orion 600 LED, XeVision, Aspen E5
curts63
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Curt
Aircraft Registration: N215CS
Airports: 22N

Post by curts63 »

Since my software was updated to 321.23, I have the same issue. When turning during taxi, i get a low fuel warning. I need to go back to the avionics shop for my ADS-B install, what do I need to tell them to do to fix this?

Thank you,
Curt
francismolloy
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Francis
Aircraft Type: DA20-C1
Aircraft Registration: N966CT
Airports: 57AZ

Post by francismolloy »

MarkA,
Great post, I’m going to try and convince my Garmin service center to use the internal antenna as well. Can you post some pictures? Also would like to see original post and pictures of where you mount that belong extender antenna
Thanks

MarkA wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 9:20 pm I just had the ADS-B upgrade done on my 2010 DA40 XLS at Aerial Avionics at Reid-Hillview (KRHV) airport last week in San Jose. This plane had G1000 version 0321.22 software installed and includes the WAAS, Synthetic Vision, TAWS, XM weather, and Avidyne active traffic options.

The upgrade involved:
  • Removing the existing GTX-33 transponder
  • Installing a GTX-345R WAAS (the WAAS version is needed since the G1000 software doesn’t allow it to be a GTX-345R GPS source)
  • Replacing the GA-55 XM antenna inside the tail with a GA-37 GPS/SiriusXM combo antenna - no composite work is required to install another external GPS antenna
  • Building and installing a new wiring harness to connect the G1000, GTX-345R, and Avidyne so all the data and audio signals work correctly - no new wire runs were required to the front panel
  • Upgrading the G1000 software to the latest version 0321.23
Version 0321.23 allows the weather source to be selected on the MFD (either SiriusXM or ADS-B) and displays merged ADS-B and Avidyne traffic and audio alerts from the GTX-345R.

I had previously installed the “DYI Bluetooth signal extender” described in another thread to make sure a Garmin Pilot tablet would reliably connect to the GTX-345R. The parts list from Amazon.com used for this is as follows:
No airframe penetrations or modes were required using the approach BkFlyer described since there is a gap large enough to pull the antenna cable from the storage bin to the GTX-345R. The antenna cable is just zip tied to the G1000 card cage then attached right above the GTX-345R Bluetooth antenna with Velcro so it can easily be removed.

I dropped the plane off last Monday afternoon and picked it up at noon on Friday for a test flight around the Bay Area class B airspace to get ADS-B performance report. Everything worked great first time including the Bluetooth connection to the Garmin Pilot tablet. I'm really happy... :)!

If you are looking for a shop to do the ADS-B upgrade and are anywhere near the west coast, you might want to give Adam at Aerial Avionics (http://www.aerialavionics.com/contact.html) a call.
MarkA
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Mark
Aircraft Registration: N123MZ
Airports: KHIO

Post by MarkA »

Unfortunately I wasn't there when the GA-37 SiriusXM combo antenna was installed so I'm not sure exactly where they put it and didn't get any pictures after the installation done. However, I did take a few pictures of the tail tube, the original XM antenna and the new wire harness before the installation was finished. They are attached below.

For the Bluetooth extender, I used the same mounting and wiring routing approach that BkFlyer described in the thread titled "Inexpensive DIY solution to GTX345R Bluetooth problem - with pics". I zip tied the extension cable to the G1000 card cage so it would not move around and attached the small pick-up antenna right above the small Bluetooth hole on the GTX-345R with Velcro.
Attachments
Tail prior to ADS-B installation
Tail prior to ADS-B installation
Original XM antenna
Original XM antenna
New wire harness for ADS-B
New wire harness for ADS-B
2010 DA40 XLS, N123MZ, KHIO
https://youtu.be/LuQr6mGxffg
Roxi5m9
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Nick
Aircraft Registration: N597RA
Airports: 5M9

Post by Roxi5m9 »

curts63 wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 6:24 pm Since my software was updated to 321.23, I have the same issue. When turning during taxi, i get a low fuel warning. I need to go back to the avionics shop for my ADS-B install, what do I need to tell them to do to fix this?

Thank you,
Curt
I am still having this issue as well, Curt. Did you ever find out what the avionics shop needs to do to correct the fuel low warning issue?
N597RA 40.444
‘04 DA40-180
ATP, CFI
5M9, Marion, KY
curts63
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Curt
Aircraft Registration: N215CS
Airports: 22N

Post by curts63 »

I didn't find any results yet, sorry
JohnLand
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: John
Aircraft Registration: N622DS
Airports: KAUO

Post by JohnLand »

I think the original xm antenna is mounted on a metal shelf above the TAS600 box, the pictured antenna looks like the ELT antenna. the XM antenna looks similar to the GPS Antenna on top of the plane.
MarkA wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 6:35 pm Unfortunately I wasn't there when the GA-37 SiriusXM combo antenna was installed so I'm not sure exactly where they put it and didn't get any pictures after the installation done. However, I did take a few pictures of the tail tube, the original XM antenna and the new wire harness before the installation was finished. They are attached below.

For the Bluetooth extender, I used the same mounting and wiring routing approach that BkFlyer described in the thread titled "Inexpensive DIY solution to GTX345R Bluetooth problem - with pics". I zip tied the extension cable to the G1000 card cage so it would not move around and attached the small pick-up antenna right above the small Bluetooth hole on the GTX-345R with Velcro.