Questions from ADS-B install procrastinator - TailBeacon?

Any DA40 related topics

Moderators: Rick, Lance Murray

Rich
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rich
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N40XE
Airports: S39 Prineville OR

Re: Questions from ADS-B install procrastinator - TailBeacon?

Post by Rich »

Incidentally, while the uAvionics gizmos work with Mode S transponders, there is this limitation:

Anonymous Mode must not be enabled when skyBeacon is installed in an aircraft with a Mode S transponder. Doing so will present an ICAO code mismatch to ATC.
2002 DA40-180: MT, PowerFlow, 530W/430W, KAP140, ext. baggage, 1090 ES out, 2646 MTOW, 40gal., Surefly, Flightstream 210, Orion 600 LED, XeVision, Aspen E5
marcuso
1 Diamond Member
1 Diamond Member
First Name: Marcus
Airports:

Post by marcuso »

I was under the impression that the 335R is mostly plug and play. Am I wrong? What makes up the bulk of the 40 hours I was quoted for the 345R installation? Does most of the labor apply to the 335R as well?

I wasn't thinking about the diversity version. How do I know if I need the Garmin with built in GPS? I know that "WAAS" is shown somewhere on the Garmin, but I don't remember where. My impression is that it has the WAAS GPS hardware, but WAAS software is not enabled for my 2009 plane. Does anyone have an explanation?
Rich wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 10:33 pm The 335R is a less expensive unit but installation might not be much cheaper. Being in the Seattle area, you're up against it with that big fat Mode C veil to deal with.

I noticed an interesting quirk with both the 345 and 335 units. You can get integrated GPS or Diversity (think the looming Canada requirement), but not both.

I'm pondering replacing my KT74 with one of these units because of the diversity deal, but fortunately do not require the integrated GPS.
Rich
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by Rich »

marcuso wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 11:46 pm I was under the impression that the 335R is mostly plug and play. Am I wrong? What makes up the bulk of the 40 hours I was quoted for the 345R installation? Does most of the labor apply to the 335R as well?

I wasn't thinking about the diversity version. How do I know if I need the Garmin with built in GPS? I know that "WAAS" is shown somewhere on the Garmin, but I don't remember where. My impression is that it has the WAAS GPS hardware, but WAAS software is not enabled for my 2009 plane. Does anyone have an explanation?
Rich wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 10:33 pm The 335R is a less expensive unit but installation might not be much cheaper. Being in the Seattle area, you're up against it with that big fat Mode C veil to deal with.

I noticed an interesting quirk with both the 345 and 335 units. You can get integrated GPS or Diversity (think the looming Canada requirement), but not both.

I'm pondering replacing my KT74 with one of these units because of the diversity deal, but fortunately do not require the integrated GPS.
You need the integrated GPS option. From several discussions on this forum the G1000 can not be used as a position source for the GTX transponders (or, I believe, any other external device), even if you have a WAAS G1000. I suspect that 40 hours may include mounting the required additional GPS antenna externally on the top of the plane. Several have successfully mounted it within the aft fuselage, which should be a simpler mod. The 335R would not require integration of its output to the G1000. I don't know how much that would save. Otherwise its the same installation.
2002 DA40-180: MT, PowerFlow, 530W/430W, KAP140, ext. baggage, 1090 ES out, 2646 MTOW, 40gal., Surefly, Flightstream 210, Orion 600 LED, XeVision, Aspen E5
Rich
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by Rich »

We have some procrastinators around my home field area, but it's a rational decision since the only airspace within about 100 miles that requires compliance with the mandate is flying above 10,000 ft. Not a big limitation to deal with for many around here, especially in the short term.
marcuso
1 Diamond Member
1 Diamond Member
First Name: Marcus
Airports:

Post by marcuso »

How does one gain compliance for operating in Canadian airspace if diversity with built in GPS combo is not offered?
Rich wrote: Thu Nov 28, 2019 12:21 am
marcuso wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 11:46 pm I was under the impression that the 335R is mostly plug and play. Am I wrong? What makes up the bulk of the 40 hours I was quoted for the 345R installation? Does most of the labor apply to the 335R as well?

You need the integrated GPS option. From several discussions on this forum the G1000 can not be used as a position source for the GTX transponders (or, I believe, any other external device), even if you have a WAAS G1000. I suspect that 40 hours may include mounting the required additional GPS antenna externally on the top of the plane. Several have successfully mounted it within the aft fuselage, which should be a simpler mod. The 335R would not require integration of its output to the G1000. I don't know how much that would save. Otherwise its the same installation.
Rich
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by Rich »

marcuso wrote: Thu Nov 28, 2019 12:33 am How does one gain compliance for operating in Canadian airspace if diversity with built in GPS combo is not offered?
Good question. Of course, I can do it but right now I don't see a way for G1000 DA40's (built in Canada, ironically) will manage. We're not the only ones concerned about this, as the diversity option is a big lift in unit price and installation for everyone.
Rich
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by Rich »

The procrastinators around here that are now scrambling to comply with a requirement we have known was coming for 10 years are impacting avionics shops all around. I've been unable to get the attention of my local Garmin shop to take the time to give me a quote for installation of a FS210, as they are booked into January. I've decided to cut them some slack. I've lived without this pretty cool gizmo for going on 18 years, I can wait a couple of months more.

As I've said, some folks around here are putting it off awhile and it makes sense for them from a regulatory standpoint. But others, who actually fly somewhere distant have that 10,000 ft. problem, if nothing else.
BRS
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Brock
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N8QQ
Airports: W52

Post by BRS »

If this helps anyone....

I paid 4988 for the GTX-345R, about 1000 for the combo GPS/COM antenna, and was charged 24 hours for the install. Even still, I think 24 hours is very generous except that I had installed the antenna myself.
40.649 Sold (Still miss the DA40 from time to time)
Fly and EAB Sportsman
Brian
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Brian
Aircraft Registration: N224BS
Airports: KPIA

Post by Brian »

I've been procrastinating also after DAC repeatedly assured me that they would have SW to support legacy DA40 ADSB installations. The SW would provide position information from the GIA63W to the GTX345R. That would save the cost of a 3rd WAAS antennae and an additional $1000 off the GTX345R and about 20 hours of labor. However, this summer at OSH DAC finally told me that they might not release any SW and that I should find a different solution. Great support DAC...

I called 3 shops earlier this year and all of them were booked through Feb 2020 or longer. I did get a quote from DAC ($16,000 USD). Since I am in C airspace I will have to figure out how I can still fly without ADSB until a shop can do an install.
Tim H
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Tim
Aircraft Registration: N233MA
Airports: KMGY

Post by Tim H »

You might give Ryan or Tina a call a First Flight Aviation (formally Commander Aero) at Dayton Wright Brothers (KMGY). They have done at least 3 DA40's (including mine) that I know of, and possibly more. They did a great job....I was very satisfied with their work and the price was competitive. Certainly well south of $16,000 USD.