The New Garmin GI 275 Attitude Indicator (AI/ADI)

Any DA40 related topics

Moderators: Rick, Lance Murray

Sandy
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Sanford
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N159PS
Airports: KPDK

Re: The New Garmin GI 275 Attitude Indicator (AI/ADI)

Post by Sandy »

The documentation says that it can use a GTX345 (with integrated GPS) as a GPS source. I do not have WAAS-capable GIA63W LRUs, but I do have a GTX345R with WAAS for ADS-B in/out, so I assume that mine fits that requirement. Does that mean that my GTX345R can act as a WAAS-capable GPS source that can be combined with the GI 275 to provide WAAS approach capability to my non-WAAS plane?

... and it shows that it can get weather input from either my GTX345R or from my GDL69A and traffic data from my GTX345R.

It also shows some compatibility with my KAP-140, does that mean if could replace my PFD for coupled WAAS approaches?

Am I reading that chart correctly?

Alternatively, would it be possible to install it in place of multiple backup instruments in order to free up panel space for some type of WAAS-approach capable unit in order to bypass the lack of GIA63Ws?

Sandy
curts63
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Curt
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N215CS
Airports: 22N

Post by curts63 »

An earlier posting said that it couldn't be used with the G1000 panels? The interfaces section listed the GTX345 as the provider for GPS, Traffic, and weather. It just couldn't drive the navigation or autopilot functions? So, couldn't this be used strictly as an attitude indicator, with working compass direction, altitude, air speed, bank angle, and slip/skid? I guess provided you attach the needed items for ADHRS?

I'm just asking out my own ignorance, but on the surface it would appear that way?

Curt
Sandy
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Sanford
Aircraft Registration: N159PS
Airports: KPDK

Post by Sandy »

curts63 wrote
An earlier posting said that it couldn't be used with the G1000 panels?
Does that mean it couldn't be used to drive the PFD/MFD or that it could not be used as a standalone item that receives inputs from the G1000 LRUs? I'm not at all sure what it means regarding any type of interface with the KAP140.

Sandy
Lou
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Louis
Aircraft Registration: CGXLO
Airports: CZVL

Post by Lou »

Today I dropped off my bird to get the GTX345R and a GSB 15 usb power charger at the same time. The GSB 15 is actually dual function for some aircraft in that it is also a data transfer bus for the GI 275.
Rich
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rich
Aircraft Registration: N40XE
Airports: S39 Prineville OR

Post by Rich »

curts63 wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 12:38 pm An earlier posting said that it couldn't be used with the G1000 panels? The interfaces section listed the GTX345 as the provider for GPS, Traffic, and weather. It just couldn't drive the navigation or autopilot functions? So, couldn't this be used strictly as an attitude indicator, with working compass direction, altitude, air speed, bank angle, and slip/skid? I guess provided you attach the needed items for ADHRS?

I'm just asking out my own ignorance, but on the surface it would appear that way?

Curt
That seems about right. You could hand-fly an LPV, e.g., but not coupled. I also wonder about the efficacy of cramming traffic, weather, and all the other stuff into this rather tiny space. For example I have never felt like I wanted traffic and weather even scrunched into my 430 in lieu of the much larger iPad screen.
2002 DA40-180: MT, PowerFlow, 530W/430W, KAP140, ext. baggage, 1090 ES out, 2646 MTOW, 40gal., Surefly, Flightstream 210, Orion 600 LED, XeVision, Aspen E5
pietromarx
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Peter
Aircraft Registration: NZZZ
Airports: KWHP

Post by pietromarx »

There is no mention of the G1000 in the AML or the installation manual. This suggests that it is irrelevant and *CAN* be installed alongside.

It can take inputs from the GDL-90 (weather), GTX-3x (TIS), GTX-335/345 (ADS-B, weather), TAS (traffic), magnetomers, OAT probes, and so forth. It cannot use the G1000 as an input source (insofar as I can tell).

Seems like a no-brainer. My airplane (G1000, 345R, TAS-600, GFC-700) is going in for its annual in late February and I'm going to see if I can't replace some of the standby units (airspeed indicator, attitude indicator or altimeter) with one or two of these units. I'll report back.
Johnmyers
1 Diamond Member
1 Diamond Member
First Name: John
Aircraft Registration: N333wf
Airports: Kapa

Post by Johnmyers »

These products don't really compete with each other. The 275 is at least twice the price, it has a touchscreen, wifi, synthetic vision, and is a far more capable device. Also the 275 is actually shipping. uAvionics seems to be ignoring emails leaving support in question.
ahmebane
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Holt
Aircraft Registration: N275DS
Airports: KMYF

Post by ahmebane »

My KCS-55 is starting to act up - I have a steam gauge panel with 530W/430W GPSs. Has anyone replaced their HSI with a 275? I would rather not spend a lot of $ overhauling the HSI if I can spend a bit more & be done with the thing forever.
arksat
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Tosh
Aircraft Registration: N00000
Airports: KHWD

Post by arksat »

pietromarx wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 5:44 am My airplane (G1000, 345R, TAS-600, GFC-700) is going in for its annual in late February and I'm going to see if I can't replace some of the standby units (airspeed indicator, attitude indicator or altimeter) with one or two of these units. I'll report back.
Peter, were you able to figure this out? I'm curious.
Tom-B
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Tom
Aircraft Registration: N427CQ
Airports: KLOM

Post by Tom-B »

Attached is a link to a 31 min video of a Mooney owner who just installed two of these devices. Both the video and the comments are very Instructive.

If the link does not work search YouTube for “ Garmin GI275 Test Flight in a Mooney 305 Rocket in HD”