3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Gilman
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N820AM
Airports: KSDL

Re: Da40 Gtx 335R install

Post by trepine »

I did the 345R, cost installed $9500.

A quick question, how do I increase the traffic alert volume? I’m sure it’s simple, but all the volume knobs don’t seem to do it.
mhoran
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Matt
Aircraft Registration: N269RB
Airports: KLDJ

Post by mhoran »

trepine wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 7:05 pm I did the 345R, cost installed $9500.

A quick question, how do I increase the traffic alert volume? I’m sure it’s simple, but all the volume knobs don’t seem to do it.
We have the same problem. Shop said we'd have to come back to have it adjusted. Apparently there's some software they use to configure it, and they hook a laptop up to a USB port on the transponder. It's been nearly a year and I haven't bothered yet.
MarkA
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Mark
Aircraft Registration: N123MZ
Airports: KHIO

Post by MarkA »

Kyle wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 4:23 pm
JohnLand wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 1:27 pm Do any members happen to know whether the da40's that dont have a gdl69 still have the shelf that is used for the antenna in the tailcone?
I don't remember the specific details on the "shelf" but IIRC, for my GTX345 install they said they installed a GPS antenna in the position that the GDL69 antenna would've been and it seemed to be a straightforward process. (I do not have the GDL69) I think they said that if it does have the GDL69 antenna, it could be swapped out for a combo XM/GPS antenna.
I had the ADS-B upgrade done on my 2010 DA40 XLS last fall. This plane includes WAAS, Synthetic Vision, TAWS, XM weather, and Avidyne active traffic options.

In my case, they swapped out the existing GA-55 XM antenna inside the tail with a GA-37 GPS/SiriusXM combo antenna. With this approach no composite work is required to install another external GPS antenna.

I also installed the DYI "Bluetooth extender" as described in another thread in this forum to make sure my Garmin Pilot tablet has a reliable Bluetooth connection to the GTX-345R to display traffic, weather and AHRS data. I dropped the plane off on a Monday afternoon and picked it up at noon on Friday for a test flight around the Bay Area class B airspace to get ADS-B performance report where everything worked great.
2010 DA40 XLS, N123MZ, KHIO
https://youtu.be/LuQr6mGxffg
Davestation
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: David
Aircraft Type: D-JET
Aircraft Registration: NDJET
Airports: KFTW

Post by Davestation »

For the first one we did, we decided to use the dual antenna even though it’s over $1000 because it would be sleek and we wouldn’t have to pole new holes in the fuselage. This was before the SB came out so we thought we were clever. Well it ended up being more of a hassle because you have to fill the old holes and drill new ones. Then on the inside we had to do some filling in because the antenna is right on the lap joint and having a new larger footprint the doubler installation would be subpar.

After that we started installing one inside the tail. If you don’t have XM, it won’t have the “shelf” but you can easily buy that piece from Diamond and bond it in. Still less work than replacing the com1 antenna IMO. On a plane that did have XM we simply bought a second one and added it half way in between the two existing antennas.
Davestation
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member

Post by Davestation »

mhoran wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 7:17 pm
trepine wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 7:05 pm I did the 345R, cost installed $9500.

We have the same problem. Shop said we'd have to come back to have it adjusted. Apparently there's some software they use to configure it, and they hook a laptop up to a USB port on the transponder. It's been nearly a year and I haven't bothered yet.
I don’t remember there being any volume settings in the GTX itself. There is a whole page in the G1000 configuration for various volumes and I’m sure that’s where it can be turned up without any software or cables. However it is still considered a maintenance function. Often times when they update the system software they forget to put the volumes back to where they were before because everything resets to baseline.
JohnLand
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: John
Aircraft Registration: N622DS
Airports: KAUO

Post by JohnLand »

for those that installed the antenna in the "shelf" in the tail was a form 337 field approval needed? if anybody have a copy of their 337 and could post it, would be great.
mhoran
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Matt
Aircraft Registration: N269RB
Airports: KLDJ

Post by mhoran »

JohnLand wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:47 pm for those that installed the antenna in the "shelf" in the tail was a form 337 field approval needed? if anybody have a copy of their 337 and could post it, would be great.
Attached.
Attachments
377-2.jpg
337-1.jpg
Davestation
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member

Post by Davestation »

JohnLand wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:47 pm for those that installed the antenna in the "shelf" in the tail was a form 337 field approval needed? if anybody have a copy of their 337 and could post it, would be great.
The whole installation needs a 337 but no you don’t need a field approval.
JohnLand
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: John
Aircraft Registration: N622DS
Airports: KAUO

Post by JohnLand »

Would a gps splitter be approved in leiu of install a 3rd gps antenna for the 345?
Davestation
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member

Post by Davestation »

JohnLand wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 2:15 pm Would a gps splitter be approved in leiu of install a 3rd gps antenna for the 345?
No the new antenna needs to be waas