3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: John
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N193JP
Airports: KFCM

Fuel selector valve universal joint replacement

Post by jwx96 »

Has anyone replaced the fuel selector valve universal joint per MSB-40-030/3? I contacted Diamond and they will still provide the parts free. The replacement is 2.5 hrs. labor versus 1.5 hrs. for the repetitive 50 hr. inspections. What are the pros and cons of replacement versus continued inspection? It seems to that in the long run it will be less expensive to replace the part and safer to have a part that is less likely to fail. I have a 2003 DA40 with 1700 hrs. Thanks.
Steve
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Steve
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N432SC
Airports: 1T7

Re: Fuel selector valve universal joint replacement

Post by Steve »

John:

I did mine way back when the MSB first came out. There was also a Service Instruction (SI40-151) which came out a couple of years ago to recheck the installation of the new part, which I also did. My original part was fine when I replaced it, and the replacement was fine when I checked it.

But, the part was free, and I did the work during annual inspections. That being said, I check that part during every annual inspection anyway...

Steve
Davestation
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: David
Aircraft Type: D-JET
Aircraft Registration: NDJET
Airports: KFTW

Re: Fuel selector valve universal joint replacement

Post by Davestation »

I'm all for replacing something that you know will inevitably break anyway, kind of like the nose gear leg although in this case way less expensive - which rules out the only potential con