3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Holt
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N275DS
Airports: KMYF

uncommanded left roll tendency

Post by ahmebane »

My fairly-newly-purchased 2003 DA-40 likes to roll left. I've checked the flight characteristics with flaps down a notch & that does not change the roll, so I dont think the flaps are hanging out in the breeze. The roll is coordinated, in that the ball is centered, but hands-off the plane really wants to roll left.

Other observations: the left aileron trim tab is bent upwards slightly, which would counteract this left roll tendency; the rudder trim tab is bent fairly significantly to the right, which would introduce a left rudder force. So these two are fighting each other.

One other observation, and I have no idea is this is normal or whether something happened to the tail sometime in the past. When the elevator is centered on the right winglet (term?) of the horizontal stabilizer, the left side of the elevator is NOT centered/aligned on the left winglet of the horizontal stab. As I write this, I dont 100% recall which way it is off. Seems like the elevator should be centered across the stab. Could this be introducing some roll tendency? I'll go to the airport tomorrow & check which way its off, but I think the elevator is above the stab, which would introduce a downward force on the left side.

Any thoughts? I' a first time owner - how much of the diagnosis & correction should I turn over to the shop? They are a Diamond-certified facility.
astaib
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Arnaud
Aircraft Registration: FGNJX
Airports: LFPX

Re: uncommanded left roll tendency

Post by astaib »

Hi,

Mine also has tendency to go left but I bent the tab in order to compensate it.
Now it’s fine but always a bit different when I’m alone or when we are balanced left/right.

My elevator is straight.

Arnaud.
Arnaud
DA40 Star 180 / 40.026 / 2001
Wingtip, landing and taxing LED (Whelen)
Skitube
GNS430 NON-WAAS
Steam gauges
Non certified ADS-b
Steve
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Steve
Aircraft Registration: N432SC
Airports: 1T7

Post by Steve »

On my airplane:

The left aileron trim tab is bent upwards slightly,
The rudder trim tab is bent slightly to the left,
The elevator is level with the horizontal stabilizer fairings on both sides.

I haven't touched these in the 19 years since the airplane arrived from the factory, and it flies straight.

Steve
Lance Murray
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Lance
Airports:

Post by Lance Murray »

Remember that the tab must be removed to be adjusted. If you bend it while attached you risk damage to the surface it is attached to.