5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rich
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N40XE
Airports: S39 Prineville OR

Re: Rubber strip replacement

Post by Rich »

That strip you show at the front of the canopy is not and never has been present on my plane. I have considered putting something additional in place because I can see daylight between the canopy seal and the airframe in the lower front corners on each side. The doors fit tight, it's just a mismatch in shape in those two spots.

The bracket on the instrument panel: You say it "pulled away". Did the rivets just let go? Did they pull out through their holes in the panel? Did the bracket crack through? This could be an easy fix (replace rivets) or a bigger deal. Even more serious is the question of why this happened. It'd take a lot to pull this thing free. There's very little stress on these brackets in my plane.
2002 DA40-180: MT, PowerFlow, 530W/430W, KAP140, ext. baggage, 1090 ES out, 2646 MTOW, 40gal., Surefly, Flightstream 210, Orion 600 LED, XeVision, Aspen E5
Rich
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by Rich »

Some years back on this site there was a discussion of using "glider tape", perhaps more properly known as gap seal tape, in lieu of that seal provided by Diamond at the wing root juncture. Perhaps someone that has done that could comment on their experience.

Save that, the seal strip material can be obtained from Diamond or has anyone found an alternate source?
2002 DA40-180: MT, PowerFlow, 530W/430W, KAP140, ext. baggage, 1090 ES out, 2646 MTOW, 40gal., Surefly, Flightstream 210, Orion 600 LED, XeVision, Aspen E5
Rick
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rick
Aircraft Registration: NONE
Airports: KROA

Post by Rick »

The wing root seal from Diamond (10 years ago) was part number 1110762 for a 5-meter section, which was enough to do both wings. Last year, it was part number DAI-9057-00-01 for the "wing gap gasket" when I replaced mine again. In both cases, it was around $100 for 5 meters of material. It is pretty easy to replace - certainly no removal of the wings or anything else, other than the old seal.
Roanoke, VA (KROA)
Rich
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by Rich »

Thanks, Rick. I've been thinking about replacing my wing seal. They take a bit of a beating over the years. The really ugly part of mine is beneath the right wing out of sight, so I've been putting it off.
Rick
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rick
Aircraft Registration: NONE
Airports: KROA

Post by Rick »

I just found this old thread: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=4275 which may be of interest.
Roanoke, VA (KROA)
Davestation
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: David
Aircraft Type: D-JET
Aircraft Registration: NDJET
Airports: KFTW

Post by Davestation »

When Colin had a DA40 he was experimenting with sail plane tape. It’s a bit difficult to get very straight and flat so that it looks nice but is obviously cheaper, though it doesn’t last as long as the original style seal.
yl472401
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Bryan
Aircraft Registration: N890US
Airports: 1C5

Rubber strip replacement

Post by yl472401 »

astaib wrote:Hello,

For the rubber on the wings, the mechanic tried to bond it with silicone but it didn't worked (and it was horrible to remove), then I tried with acrylic, with neoprene, no good results neither...
So at the end, what I did with good result is that I replaced the rubber and then I used PVC car covering film (from avery Dennison for exemple in white color). I have cut stripes of some centimeters wide and long enough to make the width of the wing. And apply the stripes on the rubber (+2 cm each side of the rubber). The result is that the rubber is well bonded to the wing, the color is white as the wing are and easy to remove compare to silicone. I did this 2 years ago, and it is still pristine.

For the rubber around the canopy, I didn't do it already (no need), but it doesn't seem to be the same rubber as the wing: smaller section, different shape and very smooth compare to the wing rubber. It looks like more to the rubber that you find in DIY shops to insulate the window of your house.

Arnaud.
sss.jpg
Thanks for the advice Arnaud. I’ll see if I can heck it with the strip from the auto shop Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Diamond DA40, Diamond DA42NG, PPL, IR
yl472401
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member

Rubber strip replacement

Post by yl472401 »

Rich wrote:That strip you show at the front of the canopy is not and never has been present on my plane. I have considered putting something additional in place because I can see daylight between the canopy seal and the airframe in the lower front corners on each side. The doors fit tight, it's just a mismatch in shape in those two spots.

The bracket on the instrument panel: You say it "pulled away". Did the rivets just let go? Did they pull out through their holes in the panel? Did the bracket crack through? This could be an easy fix (replace rivets) or a bigger deal. Even more serious is the question of why this happened. It'd take a lot to pull this thing free. There's very little stress on these brackets in my plane.
Here it is. I took a picture at it.
It might be that the bracket broke off at the riveting points. I saw no drilling holes on the other side of the instrument panel. So, it might be those rivets broke off.

Last edited by yl472401 on Fri Jun 12, 2020 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
astaib
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Arnaud
Aircraft Registration: FGNJX
Airports: LFPX

Post by astaib »

Rich wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 2:27 pm That strip you show at the front of the canopy is not and never has been present on my plane. I have considered putting something additional in place because I can see daylight between the canopy seal and the airframe in the lower front corners on each side. The doors fit tight, it's just a mismatch in shape in those two spots.

Hi,

Do you have a picture of the strip at the front of the canopy that you are talking about?
I don’t have it neither.

Thanks.

Arnaud.
Arnaud
DA40 Star 180 / 40.026 / 2001
Wingtip, landing and taxing LED (Whelen)
Skitube
GNS430 NON-WAAS
Steam gauges
Non certified ADS-b
yl472401
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member

Post by yl472401 »

astaib wrote:
Rich wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 2:27 pm That strip you show at the front of the canopy is not and never has been present on my plane. I have considered putting something additional in place because I can see daylight between the canopy seal and the airframe in the lower front corners on each side. The doors fit tight, it's just a mismatch in shape in those two spots.

Hi,

Do you have a picture of the strip at the front of the canopy that you are talking about?
I don’t have it neither.

Thanks.

Arnaud.
I’ll take a picture and upload tomorrow Image