5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Wayne
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N211WP
Airports: KSBA

Looking for a loaner/rental Propeller

Post by waynemcc999 »

The propeller on my 2008 DA40 Lycoming went in for a well-earned overhaul... and hub corrosion was discovered. Turns out for the price/time to replace with a new hub it makes sense to buy a brand new propeller... and the new prop is now on order, but delivery is ~2 months. So to keep flying in the meantime, I'm hoping to find a loaner/rental propeller and I'm not fussy... could be 3-blade or 2-blade, composite or metal. Any idea where I might find one?
Many thanks,
Wayne
Wayne McClelland
PPL/IR, 2008 Diamond Star DA40-XLS 40.922, KSBA
Photo logs of PilotsNPaws | Flying Doctors | Angel Flight | YouTube @GeezerGeekPilot
arksat
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Tosh
Aircraft Registration: N00000
Airports: KHWD

Re: Looking for a loaner/rental Propeller

Post by arksat »

Hi Wayne,

My mechanic uses this prop shop in Bay Area and they may be a help.
http://www.sullivanpropeller.com/faq/ca ... ropeller-2

I enjoy your video so hope you'll get back to the sky soon!
waynemcc999
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by waynemcc999 »

arksat wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 3:39 am Hi Wayne,

My mechanic uses this prop shop in Bay Area and they may be a help.
http://www.sullivanpropeller.com/faq/ca ... ropeller-2

I enjoy your video so hope you'll get back to the sky soon!
Tosh, thanks for the lead!
... and for checking out the videos.
All the best,
Wayne
Wayne McClelland
Photo logs of PilotsNPaws | Flying Doctors | Angel Flight | YouTube @GeezerGeekPilot
Rich
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rich
Aircraft Registration: N40XE
Airports: S39 Prineville OR

Post by Rich »

Next year I'm due for an overhaul of my MT. Probably with a ridiculously low number of hours on it (200-225). Regardless of when I do it, I will likely fly the plane to the shop and let them deal with the R/R, overhaul and balancing. It'll actually save me money, due to the outrageous cost of shipping 3-bladed props. :scream:
2002 DA40-180: MT, PowerFlow, 530W/430W, KAP140, ext. baggage, 1090 ES out, 2646 MTOW, 40gal., Surefly, Flightstream 210, Orion 600 LED, XeVision, Aspen E5
waynemcc999
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by waynemcc999 »

Rich wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 6:40 pm Next year I'm due for an overhaul of my MT. Probably with a ridiculously low number of hours on it (200-225). Regardless of when I do it, I will likely fly the plane to the shop and let them deal with the R/R, overhaul and balancing. It'll actually save me money, due to the outrageous cost of shipping 3-bladed props. :scream:
Rich, I agree with your approach... wish I had thought of this before. Rather than coupling the prop overhaul to my annual, I should have flown the aircraft to Redding (prop overhaul facility) and had all the prop work done there... then taken her in for annual.
Wayne
Wayne McClelland
Steve
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Steve
Aircraft Registration: N432SC
Airports: 1T7

Post by Steve »

I'm lucky. My prop shop is in San Antonio, and they come to my hangar with a specially configured truck to pick up and deliver (no extra charge). I would hate to have to ship my prop.
jwx96
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: John
Aircraft Registration: N193JP
Airports: KFCM

Post by jwx96 »

My plane had a prop overhaul many years ago by the previous owners. According to the log book they sent it to the MT service center in Florida (from WI) and MT sent them a loaner prop for the 2-3 months it took to do the overhaul. Both props were 3-blade. Maxwell is a MT authorized service center at another airport in Minneapolis so I'm going to look into that option when it comes time. They'll pick up the prop in a pickup truck and I'll keep my plane in my hangar. I'll try to do it during the winter and I don't think I'll take a rental prop. How many years has it been since your last overhaul or new prop? Thanks.
Steve
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Steve
Aircraft Registration: N432SC
Airports: 1T7

Post by Steve »

My prop overhaul was done at 12.5 years and 535 hours TIS. That was 6 years and 250+ hours ago.
waynemcc999
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by waynemcc999 »

jwx96 wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 5:42 pm My plane had a prop overhaul many years ago by the previous owners. According to the log book they sent it to the MT service center in Florida (from WI) and MT sent them a loaner prop for the 2-3 months it took to do the overhaul. Both props were 3-blade. Maxwell is a MT authorized service center at another airport in Minneapolis so I'm going to look into that option when it comes time. They'll pick up the prop in a pickup truck and I'll keep my plane in my hangar. I'll try to do it during the winter and I don't think I'll take a rental prop. How many years has it been since your last overhaul or new prop? Thanks.
My prop had 1800 hours since overhaul. Pretty decent.
Wayne
Wayne McClelland
Rich
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rich
Aircraft Registration: N40XE
Airports: S39 Prineville OR

Post by Rich »

Original MT prop (2002) was modified under warranty in '03 to incorporate a new hub design and some new kind of grease that MT came up with. This was classified as a rebuild. In '09 all hub bearings failed such that the prop needed an overhaul+. Getting it repaired turned into a total debacle documented in older threads here. As a result the newly installed head of the company offered a free rebuild the next time around, with the limitation that it had to be done by MT, which meant shipping between Seattle area and Lakeland, FL, which I was on the hook for.

So in 2015 I arranged for another overhaul at annual time, since it would be semi-free. MT sent a newly overhauled, zero-time replacement prop for me to swap, which would have eliminated the multi-week turnaround (100 days the previous time), but for an engine problem that cropped up :tap: and resulted in multi-week downtime anyway. That replacement prop is the one that is in the plane now. The 72 months will be up next July. It's working just fine with no sign of looseness, blade damage or leaking seals.
2002 DA40-180: MT, PowerFlow, 530W/430W, KAP140, ext. baggage, 1090 ES out, 2646 MTOW, 40gal., Surefly, Flightstream 210, Orion 600 LED, XeVision, Aspen E5