3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Scott
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N343SG
Airports: KAPA

Re: New Nose Wheel Fin

Post by Scottsware »

Hi Arnaud,

Your nose wheel looks straight in that shot. The corked nose wheel can be random. Mine would be corked about 50% of the time. You don’t need a GoPro to tell you when the nose wheel is corked, the yaw gives plenty of feedback, at least for me.

It sure looks like the inner brake covering is missing from both wheel pants. That’s a bit of drag, not sure how much.

Scott
Rich
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rich
Aircraft Registration: N40XE
Airports: S39 Prineville OR

Post by Rich »

Scottsware wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 3:25 pm Hi Arnaud,

Your nose wheel looks straight in that shot. The corked nose wheel can be random. Mine would be corked about 50% of the time. You don’t need a GoPro to tell you when the nose wheel is corked, the yaw gives plenty of feedback, at least for me.

It sure looks like the inner brake covering is missing from both wheel pants. That’s a bit of drag, not sure how much.

Scott
Correct on the intermittent corking. However, our old fat-gear planes do not have an inner brake covering. That's why ours are the "non-speed" gear :D
2002 DA40-180: MT, PowerFlow, 530W/430W, KAP140, ext. baggage, 1090 ES out, 2646 MTOW, 40gal., Surefly, Flightstream 210, Orion 600 LED, XeVision, Aspen E5
astaib
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Arnaud
Aircraft Registration: FGNJX
Airports: LFPX

Post by astaib »

Hi Scott,

I never had these covers. Not sure they exixts on early birds like mine.

So you think that they fin can be usefull anyway?

Arnaud.
Arnaud
DA40 Star 180 / 40.026 / 2001
Wingtip, landing and taxing LED (Whelen)
Skitube
GNS430 NON-WAAS
Steam gauges
Non certified ADS-b
Scottsware
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Scott
Aircraft Registration: N343SG
Airports: KAPA

Post by Scottsware »

I’ve done 5 or so flights with the fin. For me it’s been a treat. I tried tightening the nose wheel nut and that seemed to work, for a short time. After that, at least half the flights the yaw was uncomfortably out of whack. I had the choice to hold the rudder pedal or fly wing down. Neither were satisfying solutions.

If your airplane doesn’t require you to hold the rudder pedal to keep the yaw centered, there would be no point in using the fin. If your plane does require rudder on noticeable percentage of flights AND it bothers you, the fin is a good solution.

I live in Colorado and we have a lot of thermal activity. This makes it hard to judge speed/power easily. I will say, anecdotally, the plane is a few knots faster. Faster because it’s not yawed and I’m not holding rudder to keep it straight.
astaib
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Arnaud
Aircraft Registration: FGNJX
Airports: LFPX

Post by astaib »

Maybe I will have to remove the tab to see how it bahave without it, because as it is now I don't need to touchrudder pedals to have a centered yaw.

But prior we have to be able to fly, due this this xxx COVID we are again lockdown and grounded.

Arnaud.
Arnaud
DA40 Star 180 / 40.026 / 2001
Wingtip, landing and taxing LED (Whelen)
Skitube
GNS430 NON-WAAS
Steam gauges
Non certified ADS-b
Rich
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rich
Aircraft Registration: N40XE
Airports: S39 Prineville OR

Post by Rich »

For me the thing I could identify since adding the fin is consistency. Absent up/down-drafts, at a given DA/power setting I always get the same cruise speed.
2002 DA40-180: MT, PowerFlow, 530W/430W, KAP140, ext. baggage, 1090 ES out, 2646 MTOW, 40gal., Surefly, Flightstream 210, Orion 600 LED, XeVision, Aspen E5
yl472401
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Bryan
Aircraft Registration: N890US
Airports: 1C5

Post by yl472401 »

Rich wrote:For me the thing I could identify since adding the fin is consistency. Absent up/down-drafts, at a given DA/power setting I always get the same cruise speed.
Good to know. Currently I have the front wheel fairing took off and main gears stayed on. There’s a debate between the better aerodynamics or convenience of checking the brakes and tire pressure during pre-flight. Not sure which route to take eventually.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Diamond DA40, Diamond DA42NG, PPL, IR
Pilot55
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Bret
Aircraft Registration: N266ds
Airports:

Post by Pilot55 »

Arnaud, Check the trim tab on your rudder. If the trim tab has a bend in it then the fin will help you because your plane may show the ball centered but that is because the rudder is taking the yaw out because of the trim tab. I suggest removing the trim tab and make a flight in cruise flight. If your plane is now in yaw the fin will take care of the yaw and you can straighten your trim tab.
Thanks
Bret
Rick
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rick
Aircraft Registration: NONE
Airports: KROA

Post by Rick »

I was finally able to install my Bret fin and try it out yesterday. After a 4 hour XC trip, I can report my plane now flies perfectly straight, and it looks like I picked up about 2 knots. I removed my bent trim tab and will just leave it off, making it easy to reverse the installation if I ever need to.
Roanoke, VA (KROA)
yl472401
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Bryan
Aircraft Registration: N890US
Airports: 1C5

Post by yl472401 »

Rick wrote:I was finally able to install my Bret fin and try it out yesterday. After a 4 hour XC trip, I can report my plane now flies perfectly straight, and it looks like I picked up about 2 knots. I removed my bent trim tab and will just leave it off, making it easy to reverse the installation if I ever need to.
Thanks for the feedback!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Diamond DA40, Diamond DA42NG, PPL, IR