3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Bret
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N266ds
Airports:

Re: New Nose Wheel Fin

Post by Pilot55 »

It has been brought to my attention that on fin that fits the 2004 and newer wheel pants that the rear mounting hole is forward roughly by .180 of a inch. If anyone wants to re-drill the hole for testing we will send you a new fin at no charge if you like.
Thanks
Bret
Scottsware
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Scott
Aircraft Registration: N343SG
Airports: KAPA

Post by Scottsware »

The one you sent me last week seemed a perfect fit on my 2010 model.

Scott
Pilot55
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
Airports:

Post by Pilot55 »

I have only had one person bring this to my attention.I have many out to pilots now so I am sure if there is a fit issue with others I will here about it.
Also we made another production run of our nose wheel tow bar protectors if anyone needs a set.
Roxi5m9
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Nick
Aircraft Registration: N597RA
Airports: 5M9

Post by Roxi5m9 »

Bret, can you post pics and info on your nose wheel protectors, or is there another thread addressing this?
N597RA 40.444
‘04 DA40-180
ATP, CFI
5M9, Marion, KY
Pilot55
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
Airports:

Post by Pilot55 »

Here is a pic of our pant protectors. We have them in stock
Attachments
Toe Bar protector.JPG
Toe Bar protector.JPG (17.03 KiB) Viewed 4893 times
AndrewM
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Andrew
Aircraft Registration: N897KC
Airports:

Post by AndrewM »

Bret / others that have successfully installed the "Bret Fin"...

I removed the rudder trim tab as recommended and flew for about an hour with the fin on and the plane was perfectly balanced, no rudder required at all for straight and level flight. I wanted to get advice on a few items:

1. I was thinking we should do 2 more test flights with the rudder trim tab off, just to make sure everything is coordinated? Or is this a "one and done" situation and no further test flights required?

2. Assuming the plane continues to be perfectly coordinated the rudder trim tab will need to be bent to be straight, and then re-affixed. I am not sure the best way to bend the trim tab and wanted to see if anyone had a view on that? I think I read that some folks just bend it while it was on the tail affixed... but that does not sound like a good idea to me...

Appreciate any advice.
Rich
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rich
Aircraft Registration: N40XE
Airports: S39 Prineville OR

Post by Rich »

AndrewM wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 2:36 pm Bret / others that have successfully installed the "Bret Fin"...

I removed the rudder trim tab as recommended and flew for about an hour with the fin on and the plane was perfectly balanced, no rudder required at all for straight and level flight. I wanted to get advice on a few items:

1. I was thinking we should do 2 more test flights with the rudder trim tab off, just to make sure everything is coordinated? Or is this a "one and done" situation and no further test flights required?

2. Assuming the plane continues to be perfectly coordinated the rudder trim tab will need to be bent to be straight, and then re-affixed. I am not sure the best way to bend the trim tab and wanted to see if anyone had a view on that? I think I read that some folks just bend it while it was on the tail affixed... but that does not sound like a good idea to me...

Appreciate any advice.
I did the on-rudder adjustment. Done carefully it puts no stress on the rudder structure. For me it was one-and-done. In the range of ordinary cruise speeds (120-130 KIAS) it flies with with no rudder input. As you move outside this range you will start to feel the need to use rudder, as expected.

Since you already have it off, I'd place the tab on a flat surface with the deflection point raised up and simply press down to flatten it. Use a rag or something underneath to avoid scratching its paint. This piece is easy to bend along that designed bend axis.
2002 DA40-180: MT, PowerFlow, 530W/430W, KAP140, ext. baggage, 1090 ES out, 2646 MTOW, 40gal., Surefly, Flightstream 210, Orion 600 LED, XeVision, Aspen E5
Shodan01
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Steve
Aircraft Registration: N475PS
Airports: KGMU

Post by Shodan01 »

Pilot55 wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 11:21 am I have only had one person bring this to my attention.I have many out to pilots now so I am sure if there is a fit issue with others I will here about it.
Also we made another production run of our nose wheel tow bar protectors if anyone needs a set.

I should have my 2005 in 2 weeks. Will let you know once I have it in hand.
Lou
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Louis
Aircraft Registration: CGXLO
Airports: CZVL

Post by Lou »

Mine fit right out of the box. Last night I tried it out, and now flies feet on the floor straight - awesome. My rudder trim was never adjusted so I didn’t fiddle with that. Felt faster, but I have not done any benchmarking or such. At 4500’, 25.6”, 2510 rpm, LOP 14 degrees, Altimeter 29.54”, 9.7 gph: 146 kts TAS. Normally LOP I am closer to 140-142 kts. 135 KIAS.

Thanks Bret.
astaib
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Arnaud
Aircraft Registration: FGNJX
Airports: LFPX

Post by astaib »

Hi all,

I have a question, because I sometimes put a gopro on the belly of my plane, and the nose wheel doesn't seem to be corked.
Maybe I'm wrong, see picture below.

Is it something that will improve all DA40? I'm always looking as all for some faster knots :).

Arnaud.
G0016161.JPG
Arnaud
DA40 Star 180 / 40.026 / 2001
Wingtip, landing and taxing LED (Whelen)
Skitube
GNS430 NON-WAAS
Steam gauges
Non certified ADS-b