4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Louis
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: CGXLO
Airports: CZVL

Re: ADS-B FAIL intermittently

Post by Lou »

Today I had “Traffic Fail” for 10 or 15 minutes on the MFD. Weird thing is that I had ADS-B traffic targets on my iPad when the MFD was reporting the error :scratch: The error eventually disappeared and I had traffic on both.

Weird. Any thoughts?
mhoran
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Matt
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N269RB
Airports: KLDJ

Re: ADS-B FAIL intermittently

Post by mhoran »

Lou wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 3:36 am Today I had “Traffic Fail” for 10 or 15 minutes on the MFD. Weird thing is that I had ADS-B traffic targets on my iPad when the MFD was reporting the error :scratch: The error eventually disappeared and I had traffic on both.

Weird. Any thoughts?
I had this happen just yesterday, after launching off from PSM into IMC. ATC informed me that they were not receiving my mode C and asked me to recycle my transponder. I tried switching the transponder to GND, back to ALT, then to STBY and back to ALT but the controller still wasn't receiving mode C. I then cycled the breaker and the controller let me know that he was receiving my mode C.

Oddly during this time, as you reported, I was receiving ADS-B traffic and weather on both my G1000 and iPad, connected over Bluetooth. Checking FlightAware and ADS-B Exchange confirms that my plane seems not to have been transmitting ANY ADS-B data until I pulled the breaker. Surprisingly there was no indication of a failure in the cockpit other than a "traffic fail" alert, which I didn't notice because there was no audible alert and I was in IMC.

Hoping this was just a fluke -- have you seen this again in further flights, Lou? I've had the GTX-345 installed for over two years (of course, since it's now out of warranty) and this is the first such failure. I'm a bit concerned because my home base is within the New York mode C veil and given how subtle the error message is, I don't want to inadvertently violate the ADS-B requirement.