5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Steve
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N432SC
Airports: 1T7

Re: Heater lever changes the altitude

Post by Steve »

There is a good article in the March, 2021 issue of EAA Sport Aviation on pitot/static issues, which gives an example which duplicated your symptoms exactly. Static line leak within the cabin was the cause.
Diamond_Dan
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dan
Aircraft Registration: N456AS
Airports: KLWM

Post by Diamond_Dan »

Steve wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 2:29 pm There is a good article in the March, 2021 issue of EAA Sport Aviation on pitot/static issues, which gives an example which duplicated your symptoms exactly. Static line leak within the cabin was the cause.
I found the article - interesting - may also be the cause of my low IAS after installing the SureFly.
Diamond_Dan
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dan
Aircraft Registration: N456AS
Airports: KLWM

Post by Diamond_Dan »

Diamond_Dan wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 6:08 pm
Steve wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 2:29 pm There is a good article in the March, 2021 issue of EAA Sport Aviation on pitot/static issues, which gives an example which duplicated your symptoms exactly. Static line leak within the cabin was the cause.
I found the article - interesting - may also be the cause of my low IAS after installing the SureFly.
I could not find anything obviously wrong behind the panel, so I had my avionics shop take a look. They found and reconnected a static line that had come off deep behind the panel, required some disassembly to find and repair it. All of the previous symptoms are gone and I believe I have picked up >5kts IAS. Case closed and I updated the SureFly thread as well.

I still have the crooked nosewheel issue (confirmed by a recent air-to-air photoshoot) which I'm sure contributes to my inconsistent airspeeds. I will have it set up to Diamond specs and then maybe the fin if that doesn't work.