2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Scott
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: Other
Airports: KDIJ

Headroom in a DA40 NG

Post by ScottOHare »

I'm 6' tall but I've noticed that with sheepskin seat covers installed I don't have enough headroom with my Bose A20 headphones on. Wish I had figured that out before I purchased them. Any thoughts? Am I sitting up too vertical? Different headphones? I'm tall but not that tall. I may have some brand new covers for sale soon!
Chris
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Chris
Aircraft Type: DA42NG
Aircraft Registration: N449TS
Airports: KHIO

Re: Headroom in a DA40 NG

Post by Chris »

Assuming that the NG uses the same canopy as the XLS/XLT, I'm a bit surprised you are having this issue. I'm 6'2" and fit comfortably in a DA40 XLS with sheepskin covers, even with the addition of a 1" Oregon Aero seat cushion to boot. Perhaps more of my height is due to leg rather than torso length, and maybe my Lightspeed headset isn't quite as tall as the A20.

I have seen people "test out the fit" of a DA40 by sitting up much more stiffly and straight than they would during a normal flight, but I'm guessing you have enough time in the plane to be comfortably relaxed when flying. You shouldn't need to slouch down to have enough headroom, but I would make sure you are relaxed against the seat back.
Chris
N449TS / DA42-NG / 42.AC049
KHIO
yl472401
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Bryan
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N890US
Airports: 1C5

Post by yl472401 »

I removed sheepskin and the seat padding to expose the carbon fiber core and put some gel pad for the butt cushion and back support. I can seat in wearing a helmet with occasional contact between flight helmet and canopy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Diamond DA40, Diamond DA42NG, PPL, IR
Boatguy
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Russ
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: N962M
Airports: KSTS

Post by Boatguy »

I'm a little over 6' (185lbs) and have the sheepskins and a Lightspeed headset. I've never had an issue, though once in major turbulence I did hit my head on the canopy. But day to day it's never been an issue. I do recline the seat a bit to give my knees and arms a little distance from the panel and stick.

I had a CFII who was about 6'3" / 230lbs and never had a headroom issue either. We did have a W&B issue which required some ballast in baggage extension!
brian5x5
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Brian
Aircraft Registration: N1234
Airports: KEMT

Post by brian5x5 »

ScottOHare wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 7:14 pm I'm 6' tall but I've noticed that with sheepskin seat covers installed I don't have enough headroom with my Bose A20 headphones on. Wish I had figured that out before I purchased them. Any thoughts? Am I sitting up too vertical? Different headphones? I'm tall but not that tall. I may have some brand new covers for sale soon!
I'm in pretty much the same situation - 6' tall, Bose A20, DA40 NG. With the seat covers installed I can't close the canopy without hitting my head. Also, the foot pedals, which were a little too tight before, are way too tight and uncomfortable. I share the plane with 3 other guys who like them so I just remove the pilot's side for every flight. A bit of a pain but better than flying with my head cocked to the right and my knees in my chest.
CFIDave
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dave
Aircraft Registration: N333GX
Airports: KJYO Leesburg VA

Post by CFIDave »

In a newer DA40NG, you have the advantage of standard reclining front seats. Simply recline the seat a few degrees, and you should have plenty of headroom (as long as you're not 6' 4" or taller -- then you might need a DA62 ;) ).
Epic Aircraft E1000 GX
Former DA40XLS, DA42-VI, and DA62 owner
ATP, CFI, CFI-I, MEI
brian5x5
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Brian
Aircraft Registration: N1234
Airports: KEMT

Post by brian5x5 »

CFIDave wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 4:24 pm In a newer DA40NG, you have the advantage of standard reclining front seats. Simply recline the seat a few degrees, and you should have plenty of headroom (as long as you're not 6' 4" or taller -- then you might need a DA62 ;) ).
The seat backs are supposed to be in the full upright position for takeoff and landing. Besides, reclining the seats doesn’t help with the shortened legroom.
CFIDave
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dave
Aircraft Registration: N333GX
Airports: KJYO Leesburg VA

Post by CFIDave »

brian5x5 wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 5:12 pmThe seat backs are supposed to be in the full upright position for takeoff and landing.
No. The DA40NG with seats in the full upright position is more vertical than the non-adjustable seatbacks of DA40-180, DA40 XLS, most DA42s, or DA20 aircraft. The full upright DA40NG position is designed for shorter people to see over the instrument panel. The fixed but more-reclined setbacks of the DA40 XLS, etc. are designed to prevent you from sliding under the seatbelts in the event of a forward collision, so a DA40NG seat adjusted to a slightly-reclined seatback position should provide similar seatbelt performance.

There's a placard on the cabin sidewalls of Diamonds with adjustable seatbacks that shows the correct position for takeoffs and landings. If you look closely at the placard diagram, you can see that if you adjust the seat to be "parallel to this position line," it's NOT fully upright or forward, but slightly reclined.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2021-03-14 at 3.09.29 PM.png
Epic Aircraft E1000 GX
Former DA40XLS, DA42-VI, and DA62 owner
ATP, CFI, CFI-I, MEI
ScottOHare
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Scott
Aircraft Registration: Other
Airports: KDIJ

Post by ScottOHare »

Dave, thanks! I had been following the checklist about seatbacks being upright, but now realize I've not been following the placard instruction about being parallel to the position line. Will try that out.