3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Peter
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N925RH
Airports: KVNY

replacement of aileron guide rollers

Post by perossichi »

Folks-

I have read a thread about replacing some of these rollers without removing the wing.

I have some cracked rollers and I have been reviewing the mx manual. It seems there are three sets of aileron guide rollers in each wing. One is attached to the outboard side of the wing root rib, one to outboard side of the flap control rib, and one attached to a bracket mounted to the inside of the wing shell somewhere between the flap and aileron control ribs.

I can see how removing the wing might help access the first two (inboard most roller assemblies) but I can also see how these might be accessible via the access panels under the wing.

I have no idea how to access the guide roller assembly that is the farthest outboard on the wing. it doesn't seem possible to access this roller assembly from the access panel for either the aileron bellcrank or the flap bellcrank, particularly given that this assembly seems to be attached to the outboard side of the mounting bracket.

Has anyone tried to access this assembly?

thanks!

p
Sold 2002. Powerflo, Hartzell composite two blade, 530W/430, 345 transponder.
OriensFlight
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Hans
Aircraft Registration: N556LU
Airports: KHES

Re: replacement of aileron guide rollers

Post by OriensFlight »

This won’t answer your access question, but the inboard one was recently replaced on 6LU’s right wing. As far as I know my mechanic did not have to remove the wing to replace the inboard one. That’s the dual one that includes the flap rod. When it came out of MX the stick forces for the ailerons were quite tight. After consultation with Diamond they told me that during aircraft assembly they push an oversized rod through the rollers in order to ‘spread’ them appropriately. I don’t exactly think this is a great procedure, but the default replacement part could lead to this being required.
Hans
N556LU / 40.763 - 2007 DA40 XL G1000 w/WAAS, SVT, TAS & ADS-B @ RAM Aviation in Healdsburg, California
Steve
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Steve
Aircraft Registration: N432SC
Airports: 1T7

Re: replacement of aileron guide rollers

Post by Steve »

I have only replaced rollers at the inboard location (and one in the tail for the elevator). No issues with fit (but as I mentioned, just replacing the individual roller, not the entire assembly). I would be concerned about increased preload on the rollers, since that could lead to (even more) premature cracking of the teflon, aside from the increased control effort you mention.