4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Bryan
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N890US
Airports: 1C5

Anti glare/reflective method while flying into sunlight

Post by yl472401 »

I’ve noticed that the while flying into the sunlight, the reflection of the sunlight bounces on the instrument panel cover and cause a mirror image and glare of the panel cover showing up on the front canopy. This could be very annoying and also cause safety concern.
I’ve seen anti-reflective cover/blanket put on the automobile dash board and wonder if there’s similar thing for aircraft ?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Diamond DA40, Diamond DA42NG, PPL, IR
Rich
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rich
Aircraft Registration: N40XE
Airports: S39 Prineville OR

Re: Anti glare/reflective method while flying into sunlight

Post by Rich »

That's not something I've ever noticed. My instrument cover and floodlight mount/glareshield both have the original flat black finish.
2002 DA40-180: MT, PowerFlow, 530W/430W, KAP140, ext. baggage, 1090 ES out, 2646 MTOW, 40gal., Surefly, Flightstream 210, Orion 600 LED, XeVision, Aspen E5
Steve
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Steve
Aircraft Registration: N432SC
Airports: 1T7

Post by Steve »

Rich wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 11:49 pm That's not something I've ever noticed. My instrument cover and floodlight mount/glareshield both have the original flat black finish.
That's because there is rarely sunshine in your neck of the woods...

;)
Chris
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Chris
Aircraft Type: DA42NG
Aircraft Registration: N449TS
Airports: KHIO

Post by Chris »

Steve wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 12:48 am
Rich wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 11:49 pm That's not something I've ever noticed. My instrument cover and floodlight mount/glareshield both have the original flat black finish.
That's because there is rarely sunshine in your neck of the woods...

;)
:lol: :lol: :lol:
That's definitely true on my side of the Cascades, but I'm pretty sure Rich's side gets over 200 days of sunshine per year. Maybe not a lot by Texas standards, but still...
Chris
N449TS / DA42-NG / 42.AC049
KHIO
Rich
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by Rich »

On a more serious note, perhaps someone put Armor-All or something similar on your instrument cover? I'd suggest cleaning it thoroughly, for one thing. Perhaps getting it repainted in a suitable flat black. It's not hard to remove for this purpose, though reconnecting the defrost vent scat tubing requires some patience.

Putting a cover on it would be a chore, as it's got those vents for defrost and cooling air exit in the front.
2002 DA40-180: MT, PowerFlow, 530W/430W, KAP140, ext. baggage, 1090 ES out, 2646 MTOW, 40gal., Surefly, Flightstream 210, Orion 600 LED, XeVision, Aspen E5
Rich
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by Rich »

I believe I see what you're getting at. Yesterday I was flying on a nice sunny day and found I could detect a reflection of the panel on the canopy. But to make it even slightly prominent I had to consciously focus my eyes, not outside, but right on the canopy itself. Even then it's not a problem for seeing through to the outside and when I'm focused more normally it disappears altogether from influence.

Some additional thoughts: I fly with photosensitive non-polarized progressive lenses. I also know there are those with hyper-acute vision that can, for example, see stars in the daytime. So perhaps you're more sensitive to this kind of reflection.
yl472401
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Bryan
Aircraft Registration: N890US
Airports: 1C5

Post by yl472401 »

Rich wrote:I believe I see what you're getting at. Yesterday I was flying on a nice sunny day and found I could detect a reflection of the panel on the canopy. But to make it even slightly prominent I had to consciously focus my eyes, not outside, but right on the canopy itself. Even then it's not a problem for seeing through to the outside and when I'm focused more normally it disappears altogether from influence.

Some additional thoughts: I fly with photosensitive non-polarized progressive lenses. I also know there are those with hyper-acute vision that can, for example, see stars in the daytime. So perhaps you're more sensitive to this kind of reflection.
Yes Sir. Same here with non-polarized progressive glasses. And yes, do see reflections on the lower part of the windshield. I used some flat black spray painting on the piece of plastic and it shows a little improvement. But I did notice some black power being scrubbed off the surface not to long after I applied the paint. I’m thinking to get some non-reflective fabric to wrap around it since it is very easy to remove and replace it with simple twists off those four bolts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Diamond DA40, Diamond DA42NG, PPL, IR