5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rich
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N40XE
Airports: S39 Prineville OR

Re: Flightstream 510 - Connection Issues

Post by Rich »

I have a FS210 and its use in my case is limited to GPS/AHRS and flight plan transfer. So there is less BT traffic. I have speculated there could be problems with multiple devices connected simultaneously. I haven't tried it, though, so this could be a red herring.

One behavior I know is true with my Stratus3 is that if I have, for example, a safety pilot using something other than Foreflight (in his case, FlyQ) the Stratus goes into a mode incompatible with FF. He gets ADS-B in and I don't. After he has left I have to switch the Stratus back to FF mode. Does your CFII use FF or one of the other FS compatible apps?

One last positive note: I went in this morning and cleaned up all my "pending" flights into my FF logbook on my iPad and updated various currency-specific items as well. These changes magically propagated to my iPhone after bringing up FF on it. So I'm thinking all this stuff is cloud-stored in the FF infrastructure.
2002 DA40-180: MT, PowerFlow, 530W/430W, KAP140, ext. baggage, 1090 ES out, 2646 MTOW, 40gal., Surefly, Flightstream 210, Orion 600 LED, XeVision, Aspen E5
Donkadillapig
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Steve
Aircraft Type: DA40NG
Aircraft Registration: N812LA
Airports: KFCI

Post by Donkadillapig »

Rich, I opened a support case with FF, they were super responsive and identified one or two possible causes.
Firstly, I had legacy iPads lurking in the background whereby I had exceeded my limit for my account. Not sure if that would truly cause the connection issue but they helped me resolve it (even without access to the device itself, via foreflight on the web).

Secondly, they confirmed I could do a complete delete and re-install, as you suspected, all was transferred on downloading again.

I'm at the aircraft tomorrow, will see if this has resolved the issue.
Rich
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by Rich »

Usually when you get a new FF device you have to remove one of the ones you're not using so you sty within the limits. Interestingly, when I got this new iPad Pro 11 to replace my previous one I didn't have to do that, but it's likely because the new one was copied from the old one and inherited the previous one's name.

Hope this clears it up. :thumbsup:
2002 DA40-180: MT, PowerFlow, 530W/430W, KAP140, ext. baggage, 1090 ES out, 2646 MTOW, 40gal., Surefly, Flightstream 210, Orion 600 LED, XeVision, Aspen E5
Donkadillapig
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Steve
Aircraft Type: DA40NG
Aircraft Registration: N812LA
Airports: KFCI

Post by Donkadillapig »

And just like that, with no rhyme or reason... maybe linked to a FF software update... the beastie works flawlessly on my 4.4hr round trip commute.
I'm glad to have the push to panel function back and to be able to pop my Sentry back in it's case :)
Rich
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by Rich »

I'm having an interesting problem that is a recurrence of one previously. I wonder if I could get anyone with FF and FS to do the following, if Oregon is one of the states you have loaded:

In ForeFlight, create a flight plan from S33 to KRDM. Add RNAV (GPS) Y RWY 23. Suggest transition ARNOY, though I think any one would do.

Then send it to the panel and see if it succeeds. For me, this (and all other RNAV procedures for this airport) fails. Works fine for other aiprorts around. I've got a case open with FF and am wondering if it is repeatable with other combinations than what I have (FS210, GNS530W w/Jeppesen Nav Data, non-JEPP plates in FF).
Rich
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by Rich »

The root cause of my issue has probably been found, but resolution is unclear, other than working around it when it happens.

Root cause: FF has internal labels you can't see that are transmitted to the panel. These labels are, in part, of the form "RW05-Y". The Jepp nav data in the GNS also has internal labels you can't see of the form, in part "RW05 Y". This mismatch is thought to be the crux of the problem.

It's unknown as yet whether Garmin GNS nav data would cause this process to behave differently or Garmin Pilot would be different, etc. Hence the complication to getting these instances resolved. It might even require SW update to the GNS or FS or both.
Rich
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by Rich »

Rich wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 5:36 pm The root cause of my issue has probably been found, but resolution is unclear, other than working around it when it happens.
It turns out this was investigated before and here's the upshot: For GNSX30 series RNAV Y and RNAV Z procedures can not be loaded from Foreflight to the panel. It would require major work in the GNS units to remedy and will not be fixed. The behavior is the same whether the GNS Nav data is Garmin or Jeppesen. Plain RNAV are fine, and from my tests RNAV X are also OK.

So for the Y and Z flavors one enters the procedure directly into the GNS units. I've found the reverse load to FF of these sometimes partially works, but figure on dup-loading in FF if you encounter these.

I don't know if the behavior would be the same with Garmin Pilot. I have inquired whether this is also a problem with other navigators, such as G1000, GTN, Avidyne, etc. No answer yet.

I don't have a real problem working around this issue, as the workaround is OK and I don't often need these particular procedures. And the fact is I can get modern usability with modern stuff (iPad/FF) from what are now 20-year-old boxes (albeit they were upgraded 14 years ago).
Rich
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by Rich »

I've had an opportunity in recent weeks to tackle working around the RNAV load problem. So the process is:
1. Create the flight plan, sans procedure, into FF.
2. Send to the 530W and activate it.
3. When it's time to enter the procedure, do it in the GNS.
4. The flight plan and procedure show up in FF, with these anomalies:

- The flight plan has the destination airport in duplicate in FF: Once right before the procedure and again at the end. This produces a weird-looking track in FF - To the airport, then the procedure, then back to the airport. One easily removes the first airport entry from the FF FPL panel to clean it up. It's not critical that this removal be done, because the "real" path is good to go in the GNS.
- The approach plate does not automatically load into FF. So Iin the FPL "Edit" page, tap the label for the procedure itself and among the options is one to load the plate. Select this and the plate appears on the map.