2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Sandeep
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N345DS
Airports: KEEN

ADS-B

Post by mysands »

New owner here and my DA40 XLS doesn’t currently have ADS-B installed. I have read many threads regarding the ADS-B option and NXi upgrade (viewtopic.php?f=3&t=7728&start=30) and hoping to get some feedback for best course at this time.

Is it better to wait and get the NXi upgrade or just go for the GTX345R?

I also read an option to wire the 345R for future flightstream installation once software version 15 is released. Is that applicable for DA40. I am in New Hampshire and any avionics shop recommendation would be greatly appreciated. Apologize for multiple questions and ownership is new for me.

Thank you for your time.

Sandeep
CFIDave
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dave
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N333GX
Airports: KJYO Leesburg VA

Re: ADS-B

Post by CFIDave »

You're going to need the GTX345R ADS-B IN/OUT transponder even if you do eventually upgrade the panel to NXi. So no need to wait.

And with a Lycoming DA40 XLS (without a HIRF box surrounding the G1000 equipment rack under the baggage compartment floor), it's often possible for your iPad/iPhone to pick up a Bluetooth signal from the GTX345R in the front seat -- allowing you to sync weather and traffic without needing a FlightStream.
Epic Aircraft E1000 GX
Former DA40XLS, DA42-VI, and DA62 owner
ATP, CFI, CFI-I, MEI
danno2000
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dan
Aircraft Registration: N270DS
Airports: KAQW

Post by danno2000 »

mysands wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 1:59 pm I am in New Hampshire and any avionics shop recommendation would be greatly appreciated. Apologize for multiple questions and ownership is new for me.
Sandeep
Welcome to the neighborhood! I'm at KAQW North Adams about 40 west of you just over the Mass line.

I've heard good things about Green Mountain Avionics at Middlebury 6B0 in Vermont. Just checked with them on an issue and they're backed up a few months though. I had my GTX345 install done at Lancaster Avionics - a bit pricey but has worked well.

best,
dan
mysands
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member

Post by mysands »

Thank you Dan and CFIDAVE for your replies. I did reach out to Lancaster avionics and spoke with Mark who seemed to be very knowledgeable having installed many 345 and 335s on DA40s.

Does anyone know, if with the GDU 15 version slated for release in October, would that allow the use of the internal GPS source?

Sandeep
CFIDave
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dave
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N333GX
Airports: KJYO Leesburg VA

Post by CFIDave »

mysands wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 3:47 pm Thank you Dan and CFIDAVE for your replies. I did reach out to Lancaster avionics and spoke with Mark who seemed to be very knowledgeable having installed many 345 and 335s on DA40s.

Does anyone know, if with the GDU 15 version slated for release in October, would that allow the use of the internal GPS source?

Sandeep
Yes, the GDU 15 version software can use your pair of GIA63Ws as the GTX345R's WAAS position source. This would eliminate the need to use the GTX345R transponder's internal GPS, and thus would no longer require a 3rd GPS antenna or connection.

However, I wouldn't assume that Diamond will actually release GDU 15 in October. It'll probably be delivered later than planned, due to Transport Canada (the certification authority for the DA40) delays.
Epic Aircraft E1000 GX
Former DA40XLS, DA42-VI, and DA62 owner
ATP, CFI, CFI-I, MEI
vontresc
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Peter
Aircraft Registration: N569DS
Airports: KMSN

Post by vontresc »

We did the 345R install on our non WAAS G1000 -40. Works pretty well. It's been a few years, but IIRC it was about 10k out the door.

One piece of advice, the bluetooth reception from the 345 box in the tail is marginal with all of the carbon in the airframe. We did the passive antenna hack, and it works great.

viewtopic.php?t=6786

Peter
Josh F
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Joshua
Aircraft Registration: N867DS
Airports: KGAI

Post by Josh F »

Hi All,

I am also a new DA40 owner about to install the 345R in my 2008 XLS. I’ve been talking to both Green Mountain Aviation and Lancaster Avionics and the question I have is whether I can rely on the G1000 WAAS receiver or whether I need to spring for the 345R with internal WAAS receiver plus a new antenna. Apparently this depends on the software version in the GDUs and GIA63, but I don’t understand why or which software version I need to make it work. Any thoughts much appreciated.
mhoran
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Matt
Aircraft Registration: N269RB
Airports: KLDJ

Post by mhoran »

We are due to have the updated GDU software with support for providing WAAS to the 345R in October, but it's not yet ready. Also, I would expect that date to slip. You should probably spring for the WAAS equipped 345R (and install the additional antenna) if you need ADS-B now.

I had my WAAS install performed by Lancaster, they did a great job.
mysands
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member

Post by mysands »

I’m holding out for the software upgrade. Returning to flying after a 5 year hiatus and figured it was good time to get comfortable prior to heading on longer trips through class B/C airspace. Also, saving a couple of AMUs and less invasion on the plane?