1 Diamond Member
1 Diamond Member
First Name: Michael
Aircraft Type: DA40NG
Aircraft Registration: CFOBU
Airports: CYOO

Tips/Tricks for Storing Outside Overnight

Post by deeohgee »

Afternoon! This is my first new plane and I am babying it, in a hangar, cleaning windows, and wiping it down after each flight. I will want to start doing some cross-country flights and possibly stay the night. I know people do it all the time, but does anyone have tips/tricks/experiences with leaving your plane overnight at an airport? Anything I should put on the plane, covers, inlet covers? Any suggestions would be great so I can rest easy knowing it's safe and secure while I'm not there! BTW, could be in the summer and winter times.
yl472401
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Bryan
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N890US
Airports: 1C5

Re: Tips/Tricks for Storing Outside Overnight

Post by yl472401 »

Get a total set of spruce aircraft cover to protect the aircraft. Usually a full canopy would be just fine. There are some impingement and wing covers too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Diamond DA40, Diamond DA42NG, PPL, IR
Steve
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Steve
Aircraft Registration: N432SC
Airports: 1T7

Post by Steve »

Bruces canopy cover, for sure. Pitot cover and stall warning plug. Use the gust lock as well - you never can tell when the wind will pick up...

Steve
Rich
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rich
Aircraft Registration: N40XE
Airports: S39 Prineville OR

Post by Rich »

Steve wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 8:48 pm Use the gust lock as well - you never can tell when the wind will pick up...

Steve
... Or a helicopter taxi behind your plane :tap:

When parked at a lax-security airport I will typically lock the gas caps, which I don't otherwise.

Leave your mobile number at the FBO so they can contact you if they need to. It might be worth stitching it onto the canopy cover.
2002 DA40-180: MT, PowerFlow, 530W/430W, KAP140, ext. baggage, 1090 ES out, 2646 MTOW, 40gal., Surefly, Flightstream 210, Orion 600 LED, XeVision, Aspen E5
pietromarx
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Peter
Aircraft Registration: NZZZ
Airports: KWHP

Post by pietromarx »

Bruce's Covers. Seriously. Do. Not. Hesitate.

Literally cannot imagine having an airplane without them. They are friendly, fix things for free, and know what they are doing. Their products last forever and work well.

Use the gust lock, of course.
yl472401
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Bryan
Aircraft Registration: N890US
Airports: 1C5

Post by yl472401 »

Also, a set of tie down kit. It doesn’t hurt to carry your own set of tie down in case there’re no ropes immediately available.

Diamond DA40, Diamond DA42NG, PPL, IR
Rich
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rich
Aircraft Registration: N40XE
Airports: S39 Prineville OR

Post by Rich »

yl472401 wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 9:27 pm Also, a set of tie down kit. It doesn’t hurt to carry your own set of tie down in case there’re no ropes immediately available.

Agreed. Even if there are tiedowns I occasionally find that the facilities they have are incompatible with the needs of a DA40.
2002 DA40-180: MT, PowerFlow, 530W/430W, KAP140, ext. baggage, 1090 ES out, 2646 MTOW, 40gal., Surefly, Flightstream 210, Orion 600 LED, XeVision, Aspen E5
waynemcc999
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Wayne
Aircraft Registration: N211WP
Airports: KSBA

Post by waynemcc999 »

Michael, first and foremost, congrats on your new baby girl!

Remember: Just like outside, hangars have bugs/birds/mice/whatever... so even at home I'd always use the pitot cover, stall warning plug, and the air inlet plugs.

Ramp storage: I fully agree with Bruce's covers. Since you're in a hangar at home, you might well be able to get by with the travel-weight canopy cover.

Enjoy!
Wayne
Wayne McClelland
PPL/IR, 2008 Diamond Star DA40-XLS 40.922, KSBA
Photo logs of PilotsNPaws | Flying Doctors | Angel Flight | YouTube @GeezerGeekPilot
Boatguy
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Russ
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: N962M
Airports: KSTS

Post by Boatguy »

As others have said, Bruce's cover, engine plugs, stall warning plug, pitot cover, gust lock and travel chocks. And of course the plane needs to be tied down.

Spend some time with the gust lock at home, don't try it the first time when you're in a hurry.

My first choice when traveling is to find an FBO where I can be in a hangar. I did this in Louisiana and kept her safe from a horrendous thunderstorm. Most recently I did this in Palm Springs (for a week) and kept her out of a two day dust storm. Even in the hangar she ended up with a thick layer of dust, but still better than being outside pounded with grit and sand.

I've also learned to pack my tow bar on top of other supplies under the baggage deck as I've encountered a couple of FBOs whose tugs didn't have an adapter for the DA40, or where I had to push the plane back into a slot. With that in mind, check out either plastic protection (there is a thread) or the metal protection rings that David Seastead at Premiere in Dallas has made for the tow bar socket on the nose wheel.

And when traveling it's good to have a spare quart of oil as the synthetic oil for diesels is not that common. Also good to have some Plexus and towels to clean the canopy.

Enjoy your new DA40NG. I really enjoy mine!
danno2000
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dan
Aircraft Registration: N270DS
Airports: KAQW

Post by danno2000 »

deeohgee wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 6:05 pm Does anyone have tips/tricks/experiences with leaving your plane overnight at an airport?
If you're using full-serve fuel from the FBO, try to be there when they fuel you up.

I learned that one the hard way after rushing out to get my daughter to the hotel after a long day just as the fuel truck was coming. The next morning, I sumped the fuel and found the sample from the left tank was 100% pure water. Another sample, same thing.

Turned out the line guy had gotten the fuelcap wire twisted up wrong putting the cap back on, preventing a full seal and allowing rainwater from a thunderstorm downpour to get into the tank. We ended up drawing out around 2 quarts of water in the end. A couple-hour delay and a lot of anxiety over what would've been five minutes waiting to check the fueling myself.

best,
dan