4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dan
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N787DM
Airports: KPAE

Re: Individual knobs for G1000 Displays Available

Post by dant »

And pushing the new one on will require a lot of force
How much force are we talking here? I've yet to get my new one to seat correctly for the joystick one. Getting pretty skittish.
chocolatecake
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Scott
Aircraft Registration: N238DC
Airports: KBFI

Post by chocolatecake »

dant wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 3:26 am
And pushing the new one on will require a lot of force
How much force are we talking here? I've yet to get my new one to seat correctly for the joystick one. Getting pretty skittish.
Did you ever get it seated in correctly? Our MFD range knob cracked so I purchased a new one but afraid to push on it very hard. :shock:
Rick
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rick
Aircraft Registration: NONE
Airports: KROA

Post by Rick »

The trick with replacing the G1000 knobs is that there is a metal ring inside the knob that fits tightly over the shaft. If you remove the old knob and the metal ring stays on the shaft, you will never be able to push the new knob onto the shaft. Once you remove the old knob, look very carefully and make sure you don't see a metal ring on the shaft - it's really hard to see, you will want a good flashlight. The shaft should feel smooth when you rub your fingers over it with no edge anywhere. The new knob should push on firmly but not ridiculously hard.
Roanoke, VA (KROA)
chocolatecake
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Scott
Aircraft Registration: N238DC
Airports: KBFI

Post by chocolatecake »

Rick wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 11:06 pm The trick with replacing the G1000 knobs is that there is a metal ring inside the knob that fits tightly over the shaft. If you remove the old knob and the metal ring stays on the shaft, you will never be able to push the new knob onto the shaft. Once you remove the old knob, look very carefully and make sure you don't see a metal ring on the shaft - it's really hard to see, you will want a good flashlight. The shaft should feel smooth when you rub your fingers over it with no edge anywhere. The new knob should push on firmly but not ridiculously hard.
Our ring was actually still stuck inside the old knob so I pried it out. Assume you put it inside the new knob before placing it on the shaft?
Rick
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rick
Aircraft Registration: NONE
Airports: KROA

Post by Rick »

chocolatecake wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 9:30 pmOur ring was actually still stuck inside the old knob so I pried it out. Assume you put it inside the new knob before placing it on the shaft?
My new knob came with the ring already inside it. You need one (and only one!) ring inside the new knob.
Roanoke, VA (KROA)
dmloftus
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: David
Aircraft Registration: N868US
Airports: KLZU

Post by dmloftus »

Jumped in my plane to fly it home after my annual in NC and something felt off about my range joystick on my MFD. Turns out the knob split all the way up one side and it was slipping over the shaft. Ordered a new one from Sarasota Avionics. While better than paying for a full set of replacement knobs, the final price of a single knob with shipping was a whopping $47.66. Inflation bites ;-)