1 Diamond Member
1 Diamond Member
First Name: Josh
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N531DS
Airports: KRIC

Loud static sound from Comm2

Post by joshdas »

Hello! So my folks own a DA40 2006, and today, while flying it, a extremely loud static sound came on randomly. While the the sound was going it was nearly impossible to hear ATC or each other in the aircraft. After messing around a bunch I finally pulled the comm 2 breaker and it stoped.

While the breaker is in the sound would be on. The following are what have done to troubleshoot the problem:

Swap to comm1 - still loud sound
Turn on/off squelch- still loud sound
Turn down comm 1 & 2 radio to 0% - still loud sound
Turn off avionics master - sound stopped

At this point I started looking at the avionics breakers to see which could be the right one to pull.

I turned on the Avionics master and the sound came back on. I then pulled the comm 2 breaker and the sound stoped.

After landing I read another person saying they were able to fix the problem by pulling out their charger for the cigarette lighter but that did me no such luck

Any advice would help as I am completely stuck on what else to try!! Thanks!!
Steve
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Steve
Aircraft Registration: N432SC
Airports: 1T7

Re: Loud static sound from Comm2

Post by Steve »

Hi Josh, and welcome to the Forum. You have already done the basic troubleshooting, and the diagnostic tree is pointing to the Comm 2 branch. Sometimes the rack-mounted modules in the G1000 develop connection issues. Unplugging and reseating the module and/or cleaning the contacts may fix the issue. If not, switching out the Comm 2 module for a known good one would confirm.

You have the handicap of owning an airplane with avionics which are not well supported outside of the Garmin dealer arena. As a contrast, in my airplane, which has a B/K panel, I have acquired spare avionics units (Nav/Comm, GPS, Autopilot, Audio panel) that are known good, and can be switched out as a troubleshooting aid.

Of course, that doesn't help you. I would try what I suggested above and see if you can confirm that it is the Comm 2 module. If so, I suppose it is off to Garmin for an (expensive) flat-rate repair. Good luck, and let us know what you find out.

Steve
Rick
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rick
Aircraft Registration: NONE
Airports: KROA

Re: Loud static sound from Comm2

Post by Rick »

Hi Josh, and welcome!

In addition to Steve's suggestions, while you have the card rack exposed, if reseating the module doesn't fix it you could also try swapping the two GIA modules in the rack and see if the static moves to COM1 or stays with COM2. That will tell you if it's the module itself, or something external like the wiring or in the audio panel.
Roanoke, VA (KROA)