3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Derek
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: CGPDN
Airports: CYTZ

Ceramic Coating

Post by Derek »

Hi all, I’m pleased to report that I just bought a 2002 Da40. G530 with kap140. Flew it from Kelowna BC to my home airport in Toronto. Awesome plane with a lot more utility and capability compared to my DA20. I loved the DA20 and am sad to see it go but very pleased with the DA40.

I’m fixing a few things on the plane and am considering a ceramic coating on the paint. Price is $1900 CAD ($1500 USD) and includes a thorough clean and polish and some paint touch ups. Does anyone have experience with this process? Is my price decent, is it worth it, is there a less expensive alternative that is almost as good? The plane has lived outside for at least the past 10yrs and will continue like that with me. Would appreciate any learnings here.
Rich
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rich
Aircraft Registration: N40XE
Airports: S39 Prineville OR

Re: Ceramic Coating

Post by Rich »

I haven’t done this but I did talk to a guy with an old Mooney who had this done and it looked fabulous. IIRC it had been done 8 years ago and the price was in line with what you were quoted.

Like a repaint, I believe the plane needs to be reweighed. It cost me $250 to have this done.
2002 DA40-180: MT, PowerFlow, 530W/430W, KAP140, ext. baggage, 1090 ES out, 2646 MTOW, 40gal., Surefly, Flightstream 210, Orion 600 LED, XeVision, Aspen E5
MackAttack
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Joel
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: N251JM
Airports: KIWS

Post by MackAttack »

I've done ceramic coatings on 3 planes so far - a Tecnam LSA, a Cirrus SR22TN and our Piper M600 turboprop. Its important to find someone with aviation experience in the coatings so that they understand what all the antennas, static ports, pitot tubes etc mean and how to treat them. I would NOT use someone who primarily does automotive coatings. The outfit I used does exclusively GA aircraft...

Having said that, I like the results. On my Cirrus, I think I picked up a couple knots cruise speed and the finish was insanely smooth, water beaded up nicely and made the surface much easier to clean. I don't know that such a coating will last too long with a plane stored outside through winter conditions but perhaps others can comment on that (I hangared all my aircraft). Such conditions may require reapplication on a regular basis every couple years - your coatings person can tell you what they recommend.

But your pricing seems fair at worst and a good deal at best based on my experience with the Cirrus.

Good luck!
Derek
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member

Post by Derek »

Thanks guys, appreciate the great feedback. I'll let you know how it turns out if I go ahead. Unfortunately a hanger is over $2,000/mo where I keep the plane. Tiedown is around $600. Too much of a difference. The DA20 lived outside for 20yrs and looks just fine.
JanSq
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: JanSq
Aircraft Registration: N226PA
Airports: KTTA

Post by JanSq »

Wow on the cost of tie-downs and hangars. May I ask the geographic area?
We have been feeling robbed at an electric door hangar at $400/month in central NC
Jan
Lance Murray
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Lance
Airports:

Post by Lance Murray »

Something to think about. It is not a good idea to use any waxes with a silicone content on a composite aircraft. The silicone will interfere with repairing the composites if needed. I'm not sure how the ceramic finish will effect things. Just something to think about.
MackAttack
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Joel
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: N251JM
Airports: KIWS

Post by MackAttack »

You don't wax a plane with a ceramic coating ... that's one of the positives!
Tal
1 Diamond Member
1 Diamond Member
First Name: Tal
Aircraft Registration: N556LU
Airports: KFDK

Post by Tal »

Any concerns about static interference?
Derek
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member

Post by Derek »

JanSq wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 2:54 pm Wow on the cost of tie-downs and hangars. May I ask the geographic area?
We have been feeling robbed at an electric door hangar at $400/month in central NC
Jan
Toronto, Canada. I used to pay around $400 / mo for a hanger at another airport that was sold to a developer. Prices jumped as a result.