5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Steve
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N432SC
Airports: 1T7

Re: Fuel transfer breaker popping

Post by Steve »

In my opinion, Keith's concern about the resetting of tripped circuit breakers in flight is right on. I would not reset a non-flight-critical CB that had tripped in flight. For a flight-critical CB, I would consider a maximum of one reset in flight. If it tripped again, I would not try a second reset.
doclink
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Robert
Aircraft Type: DA40NG
Aircraft Registration: none
Airports: KPDK

Post by doclink »

I told southtec about the transfer pump issue they didn't seem concerned and just said to be familiar with procedure if the transfer pump failed. It's not the fuel pump to the engine, but the transfer pump from one tank to the other. Regardless it will be fixed next week.
doclink
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Robert
Aircraft Registration: none
Airports: KPDK

Post by doclink »

Update- had the fuel transfer pump replaced by Southech last week. Flew 3hrs to NJ and 4+ hrs back to Atlanta with no problem. When I was leaving one of the staff mentioned they had just got off the phone with someone having the same issue.
Donkadillapig
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
Aircraft Registration: N812LA
Airports: KFCI

Post by Donkadillapig »

Robert, That phone call was likely me!! too funny
My transfer pump started on a similar arc. First popping in air, but working on ground, then finally giving up the ghost on the ground as well. I had learnt along the way (second hand from a head mech. from a large flight school with NGs) that these transfer pumps on newer NGs are prone to this degradation before failure. I had actually left SouthTec the day before where the pump worked okay on the ground and I was good to go, until I wasn't enroute at 1st transfer time.
New pump has been ordered and I'm just waiting on a date from SouthTec to get it switched out.
ScottOHare
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Scott
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: Other
Airports: KDIJ

Post by ScottOHare »

Looks like the fuel transfer pump on my 2019 NG just gave up the ghost. Was the replacement service a big deal? I'm looking at a local KDIJ mechanic for this one, I think.
Boatguy
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Russ
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: N962M
Airports: KSTS

Post by Boatguy »

ScottOHare wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 11:44 pm Looks like the fuel transfer pump on my 2019 NG just gave up the ghost. Was the replacement service a big deal? I'm looking at a local KDIJ mechanic for this one, I think.
Are you using the "emergency" transfer valve as the work around, or did you ground the plane?
Donkadillapig
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
Aircraft Registration: N812LA
Airports: KFCI

Post by Donkadillapig »

Scott, I waited at Southec for a day while mine was done. I don't think it's a "big deal" but it is time consuming because they have to drain part of the fuel system etc I think it would depend on a "non NG experienced" knowing where to start. If he/she knows where to find the pump and access it then I'd say it's doable lol. It was described to me a straight pull/swap operation.
ScottOHare
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Scott
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: Other
Airports: KDIJ

Post by ScottOHare »

Russ - I've got to head back to Texas for a month so I'll try and get it fixed while I'm gone.
Don - Thanks for the feedback. I think its pretty straight forward for a good mechanic. Pump is under the left wing and they don't have to mess with the engine.