5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rich
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N40XE
Airports: S39 Prineville OR

Re: Soot on fuselage

Post by Rich »

I can't help thinking this has origins in oil leaks. There are all sorts of seams in these engines though which oil can ooze out. Among other things it could get on the exhaust risers and cooked. One thing I routinely check is the screws that hold the valve covers on the cylinder heads. Those things are annoyingly prone to coming loose and letting oil out of the engine.

I don't have a ready explanation for the rain factor. A nascent theory is that in heavy rain water will be coming into the cowling, then into the plenum above the engine and getting who knows where on the engine proper. Given the temperatures in there some would be boiling off. But some likely remains in a liquid state to carry various deposits with it as it runs out.
2002 DA40-180: MT, PowerFlow, 530W/430W, KAP140, ext. baggage, 1090 ES out, 2646 MTOW, 40gal., Surefly, Flightstream 210, Orion 600 LED, XeVision, Aspen E5
Boatguy
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Russ
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: N962M
Airports: KSTS

Re: Soot on fuselage

Post by Boatguy »

:D Rain? In California? Charles is right here in the SF Bay Area. Where did you find rain? Did you take a trip to the midwest or east?